Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Trump getting closer to be the GOP nominee.

Trump getting closer to be the GOP nominee.

Old May 5th 2016, 1:57 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trump getting closer to be the GOP nominee.

Originally Posted by sharkus
Are the people who have currently voted for him all idiots? I don't think so. I think they are people fed up with various things and see that perhaps Trump *might* make a difference and so they are voting with him.
It feels like American politics is so moribund with the system that both protest votes- Sanders & Trump- have suddenly come to relevance.

Obama being totally unable to do anything on gun control shows that it doesn't really matter who the president is, you don't have much power. That's in the hands of the unelected lobbyists.
Old May 5th 2016, 2:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
It feels like American politics is so moribund with the system that both protest votes- Sanders & Trump- have suddenly come to relevance.

Obama being totally unable to do anything on gun control shows that it doesn't really matter who the president is, you don't have much power. That's in the hands of the unelected lobbyists.
He executes the law not legislates it, so apart from his powers of persuasion from the so-called bully pulpit what do you think he should actually do about them?

Of course it matters, it matters because the USA matters. His foreign policy and war powers matter to the world, his powers of appointment and executive orders matter to Americans.

Last edited by Oink; May 5th 2016 at 2:57 pm.
Old May 5th 2016, 7:01 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
He executes the law not legislates it, so apart from his powers of persuasion from the so-called bully pulpit what do you think he should actually do about them?

Of course it matters, it matters because the USA matters. His foreign policy and war powers matter to the world, his powers of appointment and executive orders matter to Americans.

Good point, if Jeb got in the world knew to expect an invasion in a few months.
Old May 5th 2016, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

After months of apparent dislike for Hispanics Trump now loves them, and the grill in Trump Towers makes the best Taco Bowls apparently.

https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/
Old May 5th 2016, 11:34 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

For all the laughs and head shaking about Trump...people look at the alternative - Clinton - and then, suddenly, Trump doesn't actually look as bad.

That's how much of a joke US politics is really.

If I was a voter there I'd probably be hoping for some sort of Sanders miracle. He's nearly left wing enough to be credible. That looks somewhat unlikely so it's Trump or Clinton. I'd probably have to vote Trump sadly. Clinton is clearly a psychopath. Trump is just an idiot.
Old May 6th 2016, 1:25 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus

Part of me does want Trump to get elected, just to see exactly what will happen, and wether he'd make good on any of the things he's bleated on about. Would he really go all out against ISIS? Would he really build a wall? Would he put corporation tax at 0%?
But life isn't an x-box game....I can't help but agree with you in a horrible, slack jawed fashion, as I did when the Tsunami and Fukushima rolled their way onto our screens...but this is life, and I am sorry but I cannot view this possibility with anything other than horror - I'm going to wake up soon, and find out who killed JR, won't I?

If this is democracy I vote for Saddam Hussein
Old May 6th 2016, 3:21 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
For all the laughs and head shaking about Trump...people look at the alternative - Clinton - and then, suddenly, Trump doesn't actually look as bad.

That's how much of a joke US politics is really.

If I was a voter there I'd probably be hoping for some sort of Sanders miracle. He's nearly left wing enough to be credible. That looks somewhat unlikely so it's Trump or Clinton. I'd probably have to vote Trump sadly. Clinton is clearly a psychopath. Trump is just an idiot.

It's not so much a joke as their politics and ideologies are interwoven through a patchwork of exceptionalism, individualism and racism. It's no wonder you get tense and perverted outcomes.
Old May 6th 2016, 3:41 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

It's not so much a joke as their politics and ideologies are interwoven through a patchwork of exceptionalism, individualism and racism. It's no wonder you get tense and perverted outcomes.
Have you been eating that dictionary again? ... I've warned you, tears before bedtime and liquid verbal diarrhoea

Last edited by Stinkypup; May 6th 2016 at 3:57 am. Reason: Edited to mess around with any subsequent quote of Oinks! :)
Old May 6th 2016, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Have you been eating that dictionary again? ... I've warned you, inevitable side effect will be verbal diarrhoea
I'd say they were the main filters of the American political landscape, these are important variables, ones that really set the USA apart from other Western pluralist democracies. Can't see much hyperbole here.
Old May 6th 2016, 3:56 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say they were the main filters of the American political landscape, these are important variables, ones that really set the USA apart from other Western pluralist democracies. Can't see much hyperbole here.

Just remember that this is Expats, not Eggheads
Old May 6th 2016, 11:25 am
Proudly Scarberian

Originally Posted by Stinkypup

Just remember that this is Expats, not Eggheads
R U sayin where 2 fick to no wot onk meenz?
Old May 6th 2016, 1:44 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Elections, don't you just luv em? Always seems to bring out the best in people.
So it's either Vlad the Impaler or Soo and husband Sooty.

Vlad's ok provided you don't get to feel the point he's making and Soo, well I can't quite get the idea that she's being manipulated, and not only by Sooty.

I vote for Sweep.
Old May 6th 2016, 2:34 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by dave_j
Elections, don't you just luv em? Always seems to bring out the best in people.
So it's either Vlad the Impaler or Soo and husband Sooty.

Vlad's ok provided you don't get to feel the point he's making and Soo, well I can't quite get the idea that she's being manipulated, and not only by Sooty.

I vote for Sweep.
I've got to say, he was always my favourite, he would certainly get my vote .
Old May 6th 2016, 5:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It will be interesting to see how Trump runs the second half of his campaign, toning down his rhetoric etc.. He's so outlandish, and his supporters so sycophantic that he has licence to say literally anything. I can even envisage him laughing off the Mexican wall at some point, saying that it was just a publicity stunt.
Old May 8th 2016, 8:39 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...al-candidates/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.