Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Trump getting closer to be the GOP nominee.

Trump getting closer to be the GOP nominee.

Old May 4th 2016, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trump getting closer to be the GOP nominee.

So who would have thunk it Donald Trump could be the next GOP nominee for the President of the United States.
Donald Trump is the presumptive Republican presidential nominee following a decisive victory in the Indiana primary and the decision by Ted Cruz to drop out of the race.
Though Trump has not formally secured the 1,237 delegates he needs to win the nomination -- and likely won't until June -- there is no serious opposition left to block his path.

Seriously how many of you thought he would have dropped out months ago.
Im OK with seeing a President Trump.
Old May 4th 2016, 2:15 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trump getting closer to be the GOP nominee.

Not me, he is serious and always appeared to be serious about this

Trump for the US

Boris for the UK

Doug Ford for Canada
Old May 4th 2016, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Trump was never going to drop out while he was ahead. But I suspect even he's surprised to find he's got a good chance of becoming President.
Old May 4th 2016, 12:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is bad news. I think Cruz is a really scary guy and would have liked to have seen him become the Republican candidate and be soundly beaten. As it is, he'll be back in 2020 (if Trump doesn't get elected President and cause nuclear Armageddon).
Old May 4th 2016, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Trump seems the least likely of Cruz, Clinton and Trump to start a nuclear war. Cruz seemed like the kind of guy who'd do it just for grins, so he could be Raptured Away.

Though, the way things are going, maybe Sanders will beat Clinton after all.
Old May 4th 2016, 4:15 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

President Trump has a nice ring too it "America will be great once again"

When it all shakes out, I hope that he has a landslide victory over Clinton

Backside of this is - with its ~320 million or so population, would Trump pull American interests (commercial enterprises & jobs) away from Canada, Mexico & the UK, enabling America to have one of the lowest unemployment rates in its history?

Old May 4th 2016, 4:34 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Though, the way things are going, maybe Sanders will beat Clinton after all.
I'd very much like to see it, but I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. Clinton has the nomination in the bag, the party apparatchiks have lined up behind her and life will go on as it has for decades. Sanders is correct, big money has huge influence in how americans are governed, 'plus ca change...'. Sanders never said a truer word, 'poor people don't vote.' I've been amazed for years why poor americans didn't support progressive politicians, but it just never occurred to me that the poor wouldn't turn out to support anyone who just might be on their side.
On the republican side, I agree with most posters. Cruz scared me stiff. Just what the world would need, one set of religious fanatics ranged against another set of religious fanatics. Let's not link anti-semitism with anti-Israel as the Cruzes of the world would have us believe. Israel has demonstrated itself to have an apartheid based repressive regime and Cruzes uncritical support for it would simply throw gas on the fire.
It's a gamble, but Trump strikes me as the ultimate pragmatist, someone who'll do and say whatever it takes in the moment, but who'll backtrack and do something else if the wind blows another way, but someone who would always see self interest above all. The issue he has is that he would meet a brick wall with congress, but then he says he's a deal maker so who knows.
I just wish CNN would give it a rest and revert to being a news channel.
Old May 4th 2016, 4:40 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Trump seems the least likely of Cruz, Clinton and Trump to start a nuclear war.
Not so sure about that. He is likely to nuclear bomb North Korea just for the fun of it to show 'who is Boss'

He may also pull out all American military out of the Middle East, as well as drop the $3 Billion or so yearly direct funding to Israel... anything is possible, turning the Don into a Dr Strangelove

Let the folks in the middle east have their own holy war without involving the Americans or Europeans
Old May 4th 2016, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

For Trump to win in November he will need minority support and he has done a lot to scare off that support.

On a national open elecion in November, Trump vs Clinton, I see a landslide for Trump but a loss.
Old May 4th 2016, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I'd very much like to see it, but I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. Clinton has the nomination in the bag, the party apparatchiks have lined up behind her and life will go on as it has for decades. Sanders is correct, big money has huge influence in how americans are governed, 'plus ca change...'. Sanders never said a truer word, 'poor people don't vote.' I've been amazed for years why poor americans didn't support progressive politicians, but it just never occurred to me that the poor wouldn't turn out to support anyone who just might be on their side.
On the republican side, I agree with most posters. Cruz scared me stiff. Just what the world would need, one set of religious fanatics ranged against another set of religious fanatics. Let's not link anti-semitism with anti-Israel as the Cruzes of the world would have us believe. Israel has demonstrated itself to have an apartheid based repressive regime and Cruzes uncritical support for it would simply throw gas on the fire.
It's a gamble, but Trump strikes me as the ultimate pragmatist, someone who'll do and say whatever it takes in the moment, but who'll backtrack and do something else if the wind blows another way, but someone who would always see self interest above all. The issue he has is that he would meet a brick wall with congress, but then he says he's a deal maker so who knows.
I just wish CNN would give it a rest and revert to being a news channel.
It would be good if Sanders wins but it seems pretty unlikely. Anyone but Cruz or Clinton....

Donald Trump versus Hillary Clinton: America now faces a truly appalling choice

Last edited by jimf; May 4th 2016 at 10:53 pm.
Old May 4th 2016, 9:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
For Trump to win in November he will need minority support and he has done a lot to scare off that support.

On a national open elecion in November, Trump vs Clinton, I see a landslide for Trump but a loss.

Don't underestimate the stupidity of the American electorate.
Old May 4th 2016, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You have a point.

I don't think either front runner is great, not even fully sure which one would cause the least amount of issues in 4 years.

Originally Posted by Oink
Don't underestimate the stupidity of the American electorate.
Old May 4th 2016, 10:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Vote for Claire Underwood.

Old May 5th 2016, 12:17 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't doubt for a second that Trump would drop out. He is in this to win it. A while back, yeah, it's a joke that he's running, but now, it's not so funny. Something tells me that the party will do everything it it's power to prevent him from getting the nomination, regardless of how and what the people want. That I feel is extremely underhand and just makes a mockery of the system. But hey, 'merica.

Part of me does want Trump to get elected, just to see exactly what will happen, and wether he'd make good on any of the things he's bleated on about. Would he really go all out against ISIS? Would he really build a wall? Would he put corporation tax at 0%?

Are the people who have currently voted for him all idiots? I don't think so. I think they are people fed up with various things and see that perhaps Trump *might* make a difference and so they are voting with him.
Old May 5th 2016, 12:58 am
Account Closed

If the party doesnt support trump they have no chance at winning.

Cruz and the other one have both dropped out.

Originally Posted by sharkus
I didn't doubt for a second that Trump would drop out. He is in this to win it. A while back, yeah, it's a joke that he's running, but now, it's not so funny. Something tells me that the party will do everything it it's power to prevent him from getting the nomination, regardless of how and what the people want. That I feel is extremely underhand and just makes a mockery of the system. But hey, 'merica.

Part of me does want Trump to get elected, just to see exactly what will happen, and wether he'd make good on any of the things he's bleated on about. Would he really go all out against ISIS? Would he really build a wall? Would he put corporation tax at 0%?

Are the people who have currently voted for him all idiots? I don't think so. I think they are people fed up with various things and see that perhaps Trump *might* make a difference and so they are voting with him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.