British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Trudeau (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/trudeau-927842/)

Shard Sep 12th 2019 8:07 am

Trudeau

Just been watching a video of Kevin O'Leary (I know, I know) slamming Trudeau for all kinds of mistakes and poor judgement. He seems particularly critical of Christine Freelander and the approach to China (on lack of trade, on the Huawei extradition etc). Any opinions in this ?

Partially discharged Sep 12th 2019 11:36 am

Re: Trudeau

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12734523)
Just been watching a video of Kevin O'Leary (I know, I know) slamming Trudeau for all kinds of mistakes and poor judgement. He seems particularly critical of Christine Freelander and the approach to China (on lack of trade, on the Huawei extradition etc). Any opinions in this ?

Keep in mind the source. Kevin O'Leary. A man who I'm sure needs wider than normal door frames in his house to allow his ego to go from one room to another. Keep in mind this is the guy who was born in Montreal, wanted to run for the leadership of the PC party and then suddenly came to the realization that his lack of knowledge of basic french wasn't going to help him and he abandoned his leadership race.

I'm not a fan of Trudeau at all...all style and no substance to me. I won't be voting for him although I feel it will be a minority win for the Liberals.

dbd33 Sep 12th 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12734523)

Trudeau has a nice car, he got that from his Dad. He has a nice job, he got that from his Dad too. He seems like the sort of person one would edge away from in the pub.

Still, the alternative is horrible. One has to hope the Canadians re-elect Trudeau.

Partially discharged Sep 12th 2019 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12734617)
Trudeau has a nice car, he got that from his Dad. He has a nice job, he got that from his Dad too. He seems like the sort of person one would edge away from in the pub.

Still, the alternative is horrible. One has to hope the Canadians re-elect Trudeau.

You're showing an awful lot of local cradle knowledge of Canajun politics. Are you sure you're feeling OK :cool:

If Trudeau showed up in my pub, I would edge away and he would probably only stay as long as some trendy fizzy pop lager devoid of taste, flavour or interest was available.

Our alternatives aren't great. I think a lot of people in Canada are quite jaded about politics and politicians. I know I am. I have to deal with them daily at the local level in my job and that is enough for me.

Rete Sep 12th 2019 12:35 pm

Yikes, I thought you were going to say he has a nice wife, he got her from his Dad. :ohmy:

Shard Sep 12th 2019 12:37 pm

What about Freelander/China has Trudeau made mistakes there (as KOL suggests)?

BristolUK Sep 12th 2019 12:40 pm

Trudeau has a nice car, he got that from his Dad. He has a nice job, he got that from his Dad too.

In a few years you might be saying something similar about the next POTUS :ohmy:

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12734643)
Our alternatives aren't great. I think a lot of people in Canada are quite jaded about politics and politicians.

I'm not convinced they were ever that interested to be honest. It's quite difficult to see how it could ever have been that interesting. :unsure:

Shard Sep 12th 2019 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12734649)
In a few years you might be saying something similar about the next POTUS :ohmy:

I'm not convinced they were ever that interested to be honest. It's quite difficult to see how it could ever have been that interesting. :unsure:

The sign of a stable country, boring politics.

carcajou Sep 12th 2019 12:52 pm

Not a good Prime Minister.

The Foreign Minister you are referring to is Chrystia Freeland, not Christine Freelander. Neophyte who was a newspaper journalist up to just a few years before becoming Foreign Minister. Completely in over her head.

Trudeau is book-smart but has lived a very sheltered life and is not up to the complexities of leading a nation full of people who didn't grow up the same way he did. As such he can be divisive even when he is not intending to be, and he sticks his foot in his mouth often. Not his instinct to really think about how his actions will be seen beyond his peer and social group.

Dad was a good Prime Minister, but that's a long time ago now.

Shard Sep 12th 2019 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12734657)

The Foreign Minister you are referring to is Chrystia Freeland, not Christine Freelander. Neophyte who was a newspaper journalist up to just a few years before becoming Foreign Minister. Completely in over her head.

Trudeau is book-smart but has lived a very sheltered life and is not up to the complexities of leading a nation full of people who didn't grow up the same way he did. As such he can be divisive even when he is not intending to be, and he sticks his foot in his mouth often. Not his instinct to really think about how his actions will be seen beyond his peer and social group.

Gracias.

dbd33 Sep 12th 2019 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12734649)

I very much doubt that the Trumps have a single interesting vehicle between them. I imagine that, in private life, they drive something befitting a Maharaja's hunting expedition but on lowered suspension so as to be better suited to shooting the babies.

carcajou Sep 12th 2019 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12734661)
Gracias.

If you are looking for a contrast, and a leader who really had his finger on the pulse of the nation, read up on Jean Chretien. So uncharismatic that it made him charismatic, and scandals just rolled off his back and didn't touch his popularity. The Conservatives got really nasty early in his leadership and tried to attack his disability. Anyways, Chretien was a good Prime Minister.

Perhaps Trudeau's (Justin) cognate is not his father, but Paul Martin. A Prime Minister adored and respected by the media but who never fully connected with the population, and the media didn't really pick up on that until Martin suddenly found himself in Minority Government and serious political trouble just a year into his leadership. He only lasted a few years.

dbd33 Sep 12th 2019 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12734667)
If you are looking for a contrast, and a leader who really had his finger on the pulse of the nation, read up on Jean Chretien. So uncharismatic that it made him charismatic, and scandals just rolled off his back and didn't touch his popularity. The Conservatives got really nasty early in his leadership and tried to attack his disability. Anyways, Chretien was a good Prime Minister.

<agrees with carcajou>

<shakes head in shock>

Chretien was invited to involve Canada in a war. He declined. Chretien was on a walkabout with his wife when someone insulted her. He went into the crowd, swinging. Not your average Prime Minister.

Partially discharged Sep 12th 2019 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12734672)
<agrees with carcajou>

<shakes head in shock>

Chretien was invited to involve Canada in a war. He declined. Chretien was on a walkabout with his wife when someone insulted her. He went into the crowd, swinging. Not your average Prime Minister.

And a beer was made to commerate it.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13605/63087/

Partially discharged Sep 12th 2019 1:25 pm

Totally agree. He has a history of gaffes in terms of smart alek comments that show a general indifference to others. His over reliance on social media and photo ops and selfies rub me the wrong way.

For this coming election where is the Natural Law party or similar for some light hearted levity.?

Shard Sep 12th 2019 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12734667)

Perhaps Trudeau's (Justin) cognate is not his father, but Paul Martin. A Prime Minister adored and respected by the media but who never fully connected with the population, and the media didn't really pick up on that until Martin suddenly found himself in Minority Government and serious political trouble just a year into his leadership. He only lasted a few years.

I liked JC, even ended up in the same elevator as him one time.

caretaker Sep 12th 2019 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12734674)
And a beer was made to commerate it.

And a poem:
Dere was bad protester, 'e wouldn't let me be.
I grab 'is t'roat, I twis' 'is neck, and now 'e talks like me.

Oakvillian Sep 12th 2019 2:14 pm

Freeland has not done very well with China, but that is at least in part (particularly over the Huawei CFO arrest nonsense) because upsetting China is a secondary concern to maintaining stability with the US. I don't think Trudeau has helped here, either: it's an irony not lost on the electorate that while he's been interfering in the domestic judicial process through the SNC Lavalin file, he's been publicly lauding the isolation from political interference of the judicial process through the Meng Wanzhou business.

But to dismiss her as a neophyte does her a considerable disservice. She has been around politics since childhood (both her parents were active in politics, in the Liberal and NDP parties respectively). Her undergraduate degree in Russian studies was good enough to secure her a Rhodes Scholarship. While a journalist, she wrote two critically well-received books on Russia's journey from communism to oligarchic capitalism, and on the rise of the "global super-rich." She was appointed to the Foreign Ministry in 2017, by which time she'd been an MP for four years. All of which puts her in a better-educated and better-researched position to take up the foreign affairs department than many others who have come to the job with no relevant knowledge at all.

Your criticism of Trudeau is puerile. He worked as a substitute teacher in Vancouver, hardly a cushy job (a fact that is often used against him, bizarrely, by the same people who claim he's lived a sheltered life). He's been a politician for most of his adult life (for example, volunteering and supporting John Turner's candidacy for the liberal leadership in 1988, when he was still in his teens), and an MP since 2008. This strange characterization of "not up to the task" is very reminiscent of the Conservative attack ads in the last election. It's fanciful nonsense, especially when a man who's been prime minister for almost four years is compared with the current Conservative party leader, who worked for a short time as an insurance broker after graduating, but otherwise has been a "career politician."

cheeky_monkey Sep 12th 2019 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12734690)
Freeland has not done very well with China, but that is at least in part (particularly over the Huawei CFO arrest nonsense) because upsetting China is a secondary concern to maintaining stability with the US. I don't think Trudeau has helped here, either: it's an irony not lost on the electorate that while he's been interfering in the domestic judicial process through the SNC Lavalin file, he's been publicly lauding the isolation from political interference of the judicial process through the Meng Wanzhou business.

But to dismiss her as a neophyte does her a considerable disservice. She has been around politics since childhood (both her parents were active in politics, in the Liberal and NDP parties respectively). Her undergraduate degree in Russian studies was good enough to secure her a Rhodes Scholarship. While a journalist, she wrote two critically well-received books on Russia's journey from communism to oligarchic capitalism, and on the rise of the "global super-rich." She was appointed to the Foreign Ministry in 2017, by which time she'd been an MP for four years. All of which puts her in a better-educated and better-researched position to take up the foreign affairs department than many others who have come to the job with no relevant knowledge at all.

Your criticism of Trudeau is puerile. He worked as a substitute teacher in Vancouver, hardly a cushy job (a fact that is often used against him, bizarrely, by the same people who claim he's lived a sheltered life). He's been a politician for most of his adult life (for example, volunteering and supporting John Turner's candidacy for the liberal leadership in 1988, when he was still in his teens), and an MP since 2008. This strange characterization of "not up to the task" is very reminiscent of the Conservative attack ads in the last election. It's fanciful nonsense, especially when a man who's been prime minister for almost four years is compared with the current Conservative party leader, who worked for a short time as an insurance broker after graduating, but otherwise has been a "career politician."

yep too many politicians these days are "career politicians" who have never lived in the real world and really have no clue what the public think or feel..if anything many have total disdain for public and think they are morally and intellectually above them..imo anyone who is a career politician shouldn't be a politician at all...they are just so out of touch its unreal.

dbd33 Sep 12th 2019 2:46 pm

compared with the current Conservative party leader, who worked for a short time as an insurance broker after graduating, but otherwise has been a "career politician."

That's a little unfair. Trudeau is actively engaged in policy making, he is a major figure in the Liberal party, so he is at least partially to blame for errors in government, The Conservatives are knowingly running an empty suit, no one expects Scheer to deal with issues.

Almost Canadian Sep 12th 2019 2:46 pm

Unfortunately for Trudeau, the electorate now have almost 4 years of his actual record of running the country to use to decide whether he is up to the job. That is why he is doing all he can to refer to the "Harper years." I agree, on the basis of the "personality" parade that politics have become, the alternatives don't look great, but there is more there than just the leaders, Freeland being one of them.

Time will tell and the electorate will get exactly what it deserves. Whether the country can, financially, afford another 4 years of a Trudeau majority is debateable. I say, let's have a minority government.

Shard Sep 12th 2019 2:49 pm

Great post. I didn't know much of Freeland, but had good impression of her so found her dismissal by KO overdone.

macadian Sep 12th 2019 3:02 pm

For the first time in my life I have seriously considered not bothering. However, I am sure I will vote, firmly holding my nose when I do.

Oakvillian Sep 12th 2019 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12734702)
Unfortunately for Trudeau, the electorate now have almost 4 years of his actual record of running the country to use to decide whether he is up to the job. That is why he is doing all he can to refer to the "Harper years." I agree, on the basis of the "personality" parade that politics have become, the alternatives don't look great, but there is more there than just the leaders, Freeland being one of them.

Time will tell and the electorate will get exactly what it deserves. Whether the country can, financially, afford another 4 years of a Trudeau majority is debateable. I say, let's have a minority government.

I take it you don't think much of Freeland, then. Why not?
FWIW I don't think she's handled the Huawei case and its wider implications for China trade relationships very well. But on the USMCA negotiations she's done pretty well; she's been robust on Russia, she's chaperoned the CETA - agreed in principle under Stephen Harper's government - through some troubled waters (thanks, Belgium) to a reasonable likelihood of ratification by EU states, and Canada's had a pretty quiet run in foreign affairs otherwise.

Unless I've misinterpreted your comment and you in fact mean that Freeland bucks the trend of mediocrity that the party leaders present... in which case I apologise ;)

Almost Canadian Sep 12th 2019 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12734711)
I take it you don't think much of Freeland, then. Why not?
FWIW I don't think she's handled the Huawei case and its wider implications for China trade relationships very well. But on the USMCA negotiations she's done pretty well; she's been robust on Russia, she's chaperoned the CETA - agreed in principle under Stephen Harper's government - through some troubled waters (thanks, Belgium) to a reasonable likelihood of ratification by EU states, and Canada's had a pretty quiet run in foreign affairs otherwise.

Unless I've misinterpreted your comment and you in fact mean that Freeland bucks the trend of mediocrity that the party leaders present... in which case I apologise ;)

I accept your apology.

She is the only one of his front bench team, (him included) that appears up to the job.

JamesM Sep 12th 2019 8:05 pm

Your criticism of Trudeau is puerile. He worked as a substitute teacher in Vancouver, hardly a cushy job (a fact that is often used against him, bizarrely, by the same people who claim he's lived a sheltered life).

Is this true? I worked with a girl whose family were one of the richest in Vancouver owning real estate across North America. Trudeau was her french teacher. Did he teach at any schools that weren't private?

Oakvillian Sep 12th 2019 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12734808)
Is this true? I worked with a girl whose family were one of the richest in Vancouver owning real estate across North America. Trudeau was her french teacher. Did he teach at any schools that weren't private?

Apparently yes - he was a sub in the public system, teaching elementary math and high school French and drama, before he got a gig at West Point Grey, the private academy your colleague presumably attended.

magnumpi Sep 12th 2019 8:42 pm

Don’t blame him for not attending the upcoming debate, he can only blame everyone else for so long then he will have to start answering actual questions and not use the secret act to avoid questions

Former Lancastrian Sep 12th 2019 9:09 pm

I certainly won't be losing any sleep if he doesn't win with or without a majority. Yes when reading from a script he is a good talker but off the cuff answers to questions not as much. He does have nice hair and wears trendy socks but that's about it.

dave_j Sep 12th 2019 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12734843)
He does have nice hair and wears trendy socks but that's about it.

That's enough.. he gets my vote.

CanadaJimmy Sep 12th 2019 10:14 pm

I still think what Trudeau stands for, in terms of where he lands on the political spectrum, aligns the closest with my own views. Yes he didn't bring in electoral reform, spend a stupid amount of public money on a pipeline, and made some choices with SNC Lavelin that were objectionable in a perfect world. But he is also putting pressure on people to reduce their carbon emissions (which quite frankly is long overdue in Canada), promoting tolerance and diversity, investing record amounts of money into public transit and doing a good job at the negotiating table with people like Trump.

I also like that he doesn't give any particular group special treatment (asides from maybe Quebec, though that's an ongoing complicated issue in Canada). That seems to really infuriate the "old stock" Canadians the most.

dbd33 Sep 12th 2019 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 12734855)
I still think what Trudeau stands for, in terms of where he lands on the political spectrum, aligns the closest with my own views. Yes he didn't bring in electoral reform, spend a stupid amount of public money on a pipeline, and made some choices with SNC Lavelin that were objectionable in a perfect world. But he is also putting pressure on people to reduce their carbon emissions (which quite frankly is long overdue in Canada), promoting tolerance and diversity, investing record amounts of money into public transit and doing a good job at the negotiating table with people like Trump.

I also like that he doesn't give any particular group special treatment (asides from maybe Quebec, though that's an ongoing complicated issue in Canada). That seems to really infuriate the "old stock" Canadians the most.

Hear, hear.

JamesM Sep 13th 2019 12:28 am

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 12734855)

Where is he investing the record amounts on public transit?

In the last election he pledged to spend $60 billion on infrastructure and I'm unable to find any evidence of it being done.

I'd like to know as that was the prime reason I voted for him.

magnumpi Sep 13th 2019 1:15 pm

promoting tolerance and diversity,

As long as your not a woman in a high up position in the Gov. And yeh he likes to promote love for terrorists who come to Canada

Otherwise yeh he sound guy, if not a little slippery slimy question dodger !!

Oakvillian Sep 13th 2019 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12734884)
Where is he investing the record amounts on public transit?

In the last election he pledged to spend $60 billion on infrastructure and I'm unable to find any evidence of it being done.

I'd like to know as that was the prime reason I voted for him.

Here's a graphic from a National Post report

Spoiler tags because it's a bit enormous...

Of course, a lot of what had been allocated to Ontario has been put on hold because the buffoon in Queen's Park wanted to tear up all the previous agreements and award projects to his cronies instead, but that's another story entirely.

jeremy brewer Sep 15th 2019 6:37 pm

Hi
I find he and his party have achieved very little so far
the party promised a lot and but delivered little

But he has made driving a vehicle more dangerous now
with drivers, who can now smoke stuff legally, then drive thinking they are still safe

maybe he should be a drama teacher again

cheers J

dbd33 Sep 16th 2019 1:34 am

Originally Posted by jeremy brewer (Post 12735792)
But he has made driving a vehicle more dangerous now
with drivers, who can now smoke stuff legally, then drive thinking they are still safe

Do you have any evidence that there's been an increase in cases of driving while stoned since the change in the law? Indeed, do you have any evidence that there's been a change in stoner activity, either number of smokers or frequency of smoking, increase or decrease, since the change in the law? I would expect this change in law to have made no difference at all.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 18th 2019 11:53 pm

A photo from 2001 in which Trudeau is wearing brown face makeup has surfaced.

Apparently taken while he was teaching at some private school.

Party was Arabian themed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...nHyoxww90O_KwE

Danny B Sep 19th 2019 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12737107)
A photo from 2001 in which Trudeau is wearing brown face makeup has surfaced.

Apparently taken while he was teaching at some private school.

Party was Arabian themed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...nHyoxww90O_KwE

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 19th 2019 1:10 am

The prime minister also confirmed that this was not the first time he had done something like this, saying that when he was in high school he dressed up at a talent show and sang Day O, a traditional Jamaican folk song, “with makeup on”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-image-emerges

That photo has yet to appear.