Trudeau

Old Sep 25th 2020, 1:30 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trudeau

Originally Posted by macadian
Imo NDP will support the Throne Speech despite all of Sings muttering. Why? They are broke and an election now would be far from ideal.
I'm sure being broke is a significant contributor to NDP thinking, but it seems evident that Trudeau has thrown enough of a bone to Singh that he can whip a vote to support the budget without looking completely craven. O'Toole was never going to support it, because his Alberta base doesn't see a complete capitulation to the oil sands in the throne speech. So it'll pass, there'll be complaints that the West has been ignored again, and Jason Kenney will continue to heamorrhage support in the polls as Albertans suffer from the intransigence of both Federal and Provincial politicians. For all her policies turned out to be not very popular with the movers and shakers in AB politics, at least Notley was prepared to engage in dialogue with Ottawa, while Kenney seems to think shouting at people is a better way to achieve his goals.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 1:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like NDP will support it, details are vague on the sick days the Liberals are offering to include though.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp...eave-1.5739658
Old Sep 26th 2020, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Seems the 'scatter cash' philosophy knows no bounds......
Old Sep 26th 2020, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Especially when it's not your own money. I understand people need support systems but if and when this pandemic is over I hate to think what the debt will be and how they expect to pay it off.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Especially when it's not your own money. I understand people need support systems but if and when this pandemic is over I hate to think what the debt will be and how they expect to pay it off.
Well THEY don't....WE do.....so no worries, simples init.....
Old Sep 26th 2020, 4:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Looks like NDP will support it, details are vague on the sick days the Liberals are offering to include though.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp...eave-1.5739658
How many are honest enough to admit to 'throwing a sickie' when you weren't really sick?
I am.
Second question - how many times did you go to work (and see your colleagues do the same) when you really were sick enough to stay home?
A damned sight more often in my experience.

How many days do employers lose to sickness because someone went to work when they shouldn't have done and were not only less effective as a result but passed their cold on to someone else who was also less effective or missed work themselves?
Old Sep 26th 2020, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How many are honest enough to admit to 'throwing a sickie' when you weren't really sick?
I am.
Second question - how many times did you go to work (and see your colleagues do the same) when you really were sick enough to stay home?

How many days do employers lose to sickness because someone went to work when they shouldn't have done and were not only less effective as a result but passed their cold on to someone else who was also less effective or missed work themselves?
Sheepishly puts up hand.
Now I am getting up there in service years how many times have you seen someone who has banked up many hours of sick leave suddenly become ill say about 12 months to 18 months away from retirement? Knowing my luck and unless I got a less than honest Doctor to write me up a sick note I know if I tried this today I wouldn't get away with it. Last time I checked I had 2800 hours of sick time banked.
I guess Unions do have some use after all and it has taken a pandemic to get the Govt serious about workers who don't get sick time afforded to them. Perhaps not all Unions are now evil either.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am.

I haven't had paid sick day's since 2003, and I can't recall if I used them even, the company did have HR policies in place to curb abuse, if they noticed a pattern of someone calling in sick only on the day before or day after their day's off they would have chat with said employee.

Having worked since 2003 in jobs without any paid sick days, those who are going to call off to go have fun, or partied too much the night before will do regardless of being paid or not.

Many people do come to work when they are low paid and sick, most can't afford to miss a day of work, I've gone to work quite ill, but rent was on that pay period, so couldn't miss a day, and lots of my co-workers did the same. These jobs are always staffed at minimum levels too, so one sick call adds more work to everyone else which is also an issue in the Canadian workplace I have noticed, they don't schedule any extra, so if there are 2 or 3 sick calls on a shift, it really causes chaos.

I guess because US employers have to compete on benefits having paid sick days and such is more common, I dunno, I just know every job I had in the US had paid sick days, but every job in Canada has had 0.

Old Sep 26th 2020, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Sheepishly puts up hand.
Now I am getting up there in service years how many times have you seen someone who has banked up many hours of sick leave suddenly become ill say about 12 months to 18 months away from retirement? Knowing my luck and unless I got a less than honest Doctor to write me up a sick note I know if I tried this today I wouldn't get away with it. Last time I checked I had 2800 hours of sick time banked.
I guess Unions do have some use after all and it has taken a pandemic to get the Govt serious about workers who don't get sick time afforded to them. Perhaps not all Unions are now evil either.
I don't know what the law around sick day's in Canadian provinces are, but in California sick days were not legally considered wages, so it was use or lose type benefit, Vacation days are considered wages so employers have to either pay out end of the year or roll over, your example is why many employers choose to pay out unused vacation time end of the year, so people can't bank massive amounts of time.

Some government jobs in California though can bank like that, my dad did and "retired" about a year early using the time he had banked, but in my experience with private employers they wont allow banking, and just pay out unused time last pay check of the year, which is what all my employers in BC have done with vacation, none have allowed banking either and labor standards in BC lets the employer decide when the employee can take their vacation, so I doubt most employers would even let an employee take massive amounts of time off at once for vacation, just finding a mutually workable time for the legally mandated 10 days off per year was difficult at most of my employers, large swaths of the year not available for vacation.

No vacation March and April, June to end of September or December type thing.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 26th 2020 at 6:00 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 7:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't had paid sick day's since 2003, and I can't recall if I used them even, the company did have HR policies in place to curb abuse, if they noticed a pattern of someone calling in sick only on the day before or day after their day's off they would have chat with said employee.
Yes, that was always looked at. Ours was a bit strange in that weekends counted if sandwiched by Friday and Monday. So if you were sick Friday to Monday it counted as 4 days. We had a 10 day limit - not including certified by a doctor - so if you were sick Fri-Mon three times, it counted as 12 days even though you'd only missed 6. You were then subject to a disciplinary measure whereas someone who was sick 10 separate days, or 5 two-day absences, was fine even though they were absent for more days.

The idea of banking hours seems odd. We had a rolling 12 months so every time you went sick they'd go back 12 months and see what you had. I used to keep my own record so that if I was looking at it now, say, and I had taken 9 days since last September and I had a bad cold, I knew I could only take one day. There would be no point. Plus, if it was a Friday, there would be a risk that Monday would add 4 days so I'd go in.

If 3 of those 9 were late Sept/early Oct last year then I'd only have to wait another couple of weeks and I'd have more flexibility.

As I say though, if you habitually went sick because some sick days from a year ago disappeared from the rolling 12 months then that would be an obvious pattern just as going sick on the same day (like a Monday on a long weekend) would.

Old Sep 26th 2020, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

Yes, that was always looked at. Ours was a bit strange in that weekends counted if sandwiched by Friday and Monday. So if you were sick Friday to Monday it counted as 4 days. We had a 10 day limit - not including certified by a doctor - so if you were sick Fri-Mon three times, it counted as 12 days even though you'd only missed 6. You were then subject to a disciplinary measure whereas someone who was sick 10 separate days, or 5 two-day absences, was fine even though they were absent for more days.

The idea of banking hours seems odd. We had a rolling 12 months so every time you went sick they'd go back 12 months and see what you had. I used to keep my own record so that if I was looking at it now, say, and I had taken 9 days since last September and I had a bad cold, I knew I could only take one day. There would be no point. Plus, if it was a Friday, there would be a risk that Monday would add 4 days so I'd go in.

If 3 of those 9 were late Sept/early Oct last year then I'd only have to wait another couple of weeks and I'd have more flexibility.

As I say though, if you habitually went sick because some sick days from a year ago disappeared from the rolling 12 months then that would be an obvious pattern just as going sick on the same day (like a Monday on a long weekend) would.

I worked at a company in Canada who did points system for attendance, it kind of backfired I think in some ways. If you were more than 20 minutes late is counted as 1 point same as missing the entire shift, well guess what people did if they were going to be 20 minutes late, they just called in sick and didn't come in at all.

1 minute to 19 minutes late counted as 1/2 point.

The points would drop off 12 months after gaining the point, and I think it was termination at 6 or 7 points.

I got sick at work, like vomiting in the bathroom sick, I was 6 hours in to an 8 hour shift, they counted me going home early sick as missing the entire day.

It was a messed up system, but it was a crappy call center job, they couldn't hire and train people fast enough to keep up with the people quitting, most people quit before training was even done....

I lasted 3 months, of the 20 people in my training class, when I left only 2 of the 20 were left.

I am not sure if banking time off is common in private sector jobs, at least at my level, I have never seen it, and seems to be a massive liability for the company letting employees bank months of vacation over the years, probably why most just pay unused time out end of the year or force you to take your vacation at some point before the end of the year.

Old Oct 3rd 2020, 2:17 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious, did Trudeau send his best wishes to Donald (re. Covid)? It hasn't been reported here...
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Just curious, did Trudeau send his best wishes to Donald (re. Covid)? It hasn't been reported here...
Of course he did....surprisingly there wasn't a tearful apology with it.

I would love to know how many world leaders etc really truthfully meant it. I am firmly in the camp of just keeping quiet rather than a faux response. However, if a world leader were to do that, through the miracle of social media they would be browbeaten into offering up some form of a statement.

After all of the nastiness and bile that has spewed out of Trump's mouth it may have served more of a purpose if he were to get a lack of responses to his illness from other world leaders.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard

He did yesterday.

Old Oct 3rd 2020, 9:00 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

He did yesterday.
Thanks. Glad to see JT has finally got a haircut (of sorts).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.