Tree Removal

Old Nov 3rd 2019, 7:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tree Removal

I know a few have had trees taken down, especially with the weekly hurricanes and fortnightly ice storms.

We had a big tree next to the house, losing small branches very often and a slightly bigger one with the storm a few weeks ago. Thursday, we had strong winds again. Not as strong as before but enough to bring down three rather large branches. Not leaving the next storm to finish off with nasty consequences - like falling on my nice new roof.

I got someone out on yesterday and they returned today (Sunday) to take it down and clean up. Just two of them with ropes and saws. $500 which was way less than I expected based on what I've seen previously and may have been a bit of a senior discount as my MIL was first on the scene when he arrived.

Very good job, even raked up twigs which I didn't expect.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tree Removal

Good thinking dealing with it before its on your house... Big trees near houses make me nervous, I like trees but big ones next to houses not so much.

There was a tree in Vancouver that fell on a lady jogging a week or 2 ago during a wind storm, luckily someone saw the tree fall on her and rushed in to help and called 9-11, but she sustained some serious injuries.

When my dad moved into his house there was a very large tree in his yard, his city doesn't allow trees to just be cut, had to get 2 opinions from tree health experts, then apply for a permit, the city expert then has to agree, all in all took almost a year to get through the red tape so he could cut the tree down, and neighbors still complained about it, the tree was 90+ years old and very diseased and simply at end of its life.

We have a dead tree in front of our window, it never came back to life in the spring, its not huge, but it goes up to the 3rd floor of the building, the city did some out and cut off 1 branch, suppose testing to see if the tree is alive or something, have to see how long it takes them to actually remove it.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 9:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
When my dad moved into his house there was a very large tree in his yard, his city doesn't allow trees to just be cut,..
The city here considered something like it back when some trees were controversially cut down on a small bit of land but nothing came of it.

Old Nov 3rd 2019, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I think its getting more common in some areas, Vancouver appears to have a licensing requirement to cut trees as well.

https://vancouver.ca/home-property-d...al-permit.aspx

After my dad went through that hassle and it was the only tree in his yard, he made sure not to plant anymore trees, he went with cactus and a more natural landscape more suited to the So. California climate.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The city here considered something like it back when some trees were controversially cut down on a small bit of land but nothing came of it.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 2:07 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

We had one taken down last year, in our front garden, as we wanted to get it, before it got us. It was a beautiful, very big, Honey Locust, but was at the end of her days. It cost us $1,000 but that was just to have it cut down, they needed a lot of equipment and a cherry picker. We cut her up ourselves and will have the wood for many years - it wasn’t an easy job...but so reassuring! For the year before that, every time the wind blew, we thought ‘what is that tree doing’
Old Nov 4th 2019, 3:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

In Hamilton the City put one tree (sometimes more) on every front lot - 15 feet from the road - on what is designated as City property - and we are not permitted under any circumstance to trim or otherwise damage them.

Also, we have a tree bylaw whereby if a tree is within sight of the road and has a circumferance of more than a couple of feet you have to have a permit to remove it unless it's within a couple of feet of the house (and potentially affecting the foundation / pipework).

Having said that, at one house I previously lived in which had the most wonderful cedar hedges and 4 huge pine trees in the back garden, the new owner cut the lot down.. a crime in my opinion (the neighbours were pretty upset too).

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 4th 2019 at 3:52 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 4:30 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I had 12 pine trees taken down in my back yard earlier this Summer. He charged me $1,000 to cut them down, and to cut them up into firewood sized pieces for me. I had no need for the firewood so I sold 12 trees worth of logs for $150 just to get rid of the bloody stuff.
What a mess it made, sawdust everywhere.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

We had seven trees taken down last year, mostly beech, mostly dead, or close to it. (A couple of months before one of ours had fallen across a neighbours drive.) It cost $2000 in total. This was just to put them on the ground, no cutting up. We are gradually cutting them up ourselves. Very gradually.

Cherry picker,, guy on ropes, etc were all involved depending on the position of the tree. Best bit was the victory dance of the younger tree guy when they went for the full ‘timber’ on the last tree.(he didn’t know was watching)

Four or five others of ours have fallen within sight of the house in the five years we have lived here, and definitely others out of sight. We are surrounded, and I never feel completely safe in high winds, although slightly more so now the leaves are off.