Trayvon case

Old Jul 19th 2013, 10:15 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trayvon case

Any views? Can't be faffed to read the articles on it but have heard some comments on it being a fair verdict and others on it being unfair...
Old Jul 19th 2013, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Trayvon case

Just like all of the people calling foul and stoking violence; I don't know enough of the facts to form a realistic opinion.

Trial by media?
Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scribe123
Just like all of the people calling foul and stoking violence; I don't know enough of the facts to form a realistic opinion.

Trial by media?
That's the issue. No one bothers to ascertain the facts and then decide that it was a travesty. All the legal commentators were adamant he wasn't going to be convicted if the jury considered the law and the evidence appropriately; they did and the Court of public opinion rejected it. Unfortunately lazy or dishonest journalism has much to answer for.

Roll on the next one.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:29 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

The Trayvon situation is one thing, but the fact that the same rule has been used to imprison a black woman for 20 years, this week, because she fired a gun at the ceiling and fired some warning shots, at her previously proven wife beater of a husband makes me somewhat puzzled. I actually think there is little or no difference between the life of a woman in the US and those who are in third world cultures, other than in the US women have even less respect. . I want to scream and shout, this is just sooo wrong. I would post a link, but I am pecking away on this blasted tablet...can one of you post a link for me please?

I thank heaven that I am not black on a regular basis. The whole world just gives black people less, they are just more disposable.....this isn't changing, it's getting worse.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:36 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
The Trayvon situation is one thing, but the fact that the same rule has been used to imprison a black woman for 20 years, this week, because she fired a gun at the ceiling and fired some warning shots, at her previously proven wife beater of a husband makes me somewhat puzzled. I actually think there is little or no difference between the life of a woman in the US and those who are in third world cultures, other than in the US women have even less respect. . I want to scream and shout, this is just sooo wrong. I would post a link, but I am pecking away on this blasted tablet...can one of you post a link for me please?

I thank heaven that I am not black on a regular basis. The whole world just gives black people less, they are just more disposable.....this isn't changing, it's getting worse.
Here you go
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...warning-shots/

My understanding was that Zimmerman did not use the Stand your Ground defence as he would have lost on that. The self defence arguement was used and as there were no real witnesses then there was doubt and so.....

The problem seems to be Florida's laws.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
My understanding was that Zimmerman did not use the Stand your Ground defence as he would have lost on that.
Stand Your Ground is irrelevant when you're on the ground with someone beating your head against it. There's nowhere else you can go.

As for the woman, as I understand it, she went outside, got a gun, came back and shot him. So that eliminated any self-defence claim.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

BelCaramelJoJo is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Trayvon case

Originally Posted by MarkG
Stand Your Ground is irrelevant when you're on the ground with someone beating your head against it. There's nowhere else you can go.

As for the woman, as I understand it, she went outside, got a gun, came back and shot him. So that eliminated any self-defence claim.

The problem with this is the following:

With Trayvon- People are outraged because he was unarmed and GZ had a gun. Also many are saying if the roles were reversed would he had gotten away with it like GZ did.

As for the woman, She was being abused and fired a warning shot to scare the guy off but she got 20 yrs.

Many are saying how is that justice at all?

There are so many things wrong here I'm not sure where to begin, but racism, sexism, and bigotry jump right out there to the top of the list. And I think it's fair to say, Stand Your Ground laws work for some, but not others...

Which others do you think it won't work for?
Old Jul 20th 2013, 2:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Any views? Can't be faffed to read the articles on it but have heard some comments on it being a fair verdict and others on it being unfair...
Discussed at length here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801908

Law. Ass. Etc.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 4:32 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG

She shot at a wall, to try to get him to leave. Women usually need a weapon to defend themselves effectively especially against an abusive partner , it becomes rather more complicated than your portrayal.

Zimmerman caused the incident that led to Martin's death. He may be innocent in law but he is morally guilty. Stand your ground does not apply when you cause the interaction. I think that was how it was described.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

BelCaramelJoJo is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Trayvon case

She shot at a wall, to try to get him to leave. Women usually need a weapon to defend themselves effectively especially against an abusive partner , it becomes rather more complicated than your portrayal.

Zimmerman caused the incident that led to Martin's death. He may be innocent in law but he is morally guilty. Stand your ground does not apply when you cause the interaction. I think that was how it was described.

I so agree with this if only he stayed in the car none of this took place
Old Jul 20th 2013, 7:54 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Discussed at length here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801908

Law. Ass. Etc.
Thanks. Completely missed that thread.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:21 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...warning-shots/

The problem seems to be Florida's laws.
Bats thanks so much for that, who would move to Florida!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Bats thanks so much for that, who would move to Florida!
Think of several hundred thousand Snowbirds who make Florida, Texas and Arizona their winter homes rather than freezing their asses off in Canada.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 10:18 am
Yo

As the reporter said, "her bet did not pay off"! In that case it seems the woman was instigating lethal force, nevertheless quite a punishment considering that no harm was done.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 1:14 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Think of several hundred thousand Snowbirds who make Florida, Texas and Arizona their winter homes rather than freezing their asses off in Canada.
I haven't met any black snowbirds, have you? Mind you in this area there aren't many people who aren't white so it's hard for me to judge!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.