Toyota Prius

Old May 4th 2011, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Toyota Prius

My inner (and well-hidden) eco-warrior is considering trading in my comfortable bus for a Prius.

They have been around a few years now so:

a) they are more available and affordable, and
b) they have been around a few years now so I wondered how they were wearing.

Reviews that I find are all about the new model as it is released.

Anyone got one, anyone want one, anyone got any views on how they have "worn" over the past five years or so?

Oh, and of course, let the pisstaking begin.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:09 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toyota Prius

Originally Posted by ann m
My inner (and well-hidden) eco-warrior is considering trading in my comfortable bus for a Prius.

Anyone got one, anyone want one, anyone got any views on how they have "worn" over the past five years or so?

Not at all, but I would lean towards a good diesel.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

A co-worker has one. He says it performs poorly in Cleveland winter conditions. When it isn't winter the car is just fine.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
When it isn't winter the car is just fine.
Ah.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:14 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqY8F...eature=related
Old May 4th 2011, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you ... I'd seen the first one already.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Ah.
I should offer some specifics... it's low to the ground, so deep snow is a problem. He lives on a side-street that is slow to be plowed, so getting to a main, well-plowed road in the morning after a snowfall is dicey. Similarly, if the plow truck leaves a berm at the bottom of the driveway it's a problem. Same deal in parking lots. Once the snow has been plowed away, things are much better.

I shift my 4Runner into 4WD and don't have to worry

Edited to add: he's had the thing for a few years and hasn't had any electrical or mechanical problems whatever.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:22 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tangram
Not at all, but I would lean towards a good diesel.
I would think that overall a Jetta TDi is more environmentally friendly and just as cheap to run.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:23 am
Meh

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I should offer some specifics... it's low to the ground, so deep snow is a problem. He lives on a side-street that is slow to be plowed, so getting to a main, well-plowed road in the morning after a snowfall is dicey. Similarly, if the plow truck leaves a berm at the bottom of the driveway it's a problem. Same deal in parking lots. Once the snow has been plowed away, things are much better.

I shift my 4Runner into 4WD and don't have to worry
Also I believe the engine has to run much more in the winter to enable the heater to work.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
Also I believe the engine has to run much more in the winter to enable the heater to work.
Much more than the VW TDi?
Old May 4th 2011, 8:31 am
Meh

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Much more than the VW TDi?
Of course not, but part of the Prius's great in town fuel efficiency is it's ability to shut off it's engine whilst at a standstill etc. If that's not happening, then most of the gains you see in this particular area are greatly diminished. The Prius actually isn't any more efficient than a TDi on the highway. Diesel is (currently) cheaper too.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:32 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if this comes across as a little gauche but get what you want. Sod them, you're in Canada it's not your environment.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GavinR
I would think that overall a Jetta TDi is more environmentally friendly and just as cheap to run.
That's what my husband is considering.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oink
you're in Canada it's not your environment.
Well, there is that ....
Old May 4th 2011, 8:49 am
Meh

I guess the other thing to think about is servicing. Brakes and running gear are presumably the same as any other vehicle however any electrical problems you'll be stuck with Toyota for ever and a day. I wonder how long the dealerships will continue to look after the older models. Many dealerships won't touch vehicles over x number of years old. When I worked at VW it was anything older than 8.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.