Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Toronto - what should I do/see?

Toronto - what should I do/see?

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto - what should I do/see?

Hi
If you want the eating expeience to beat all eating experiences head to The Rich Tree Market Restaurant on Yonge Street....our fav place.......all cooked individually while you wait.....all types of food and the puds are to die for!
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Hi

I am in Toronto for work next week, I think I may have a free afternoon on Wednesday, so have a few hours to do what I like!

As this is my first trip to Toronto, is there anything you recommend I should see or do , in the very short time I have? Would like to make the most of it

Thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 10:22 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I like, La Maquette (French), Papillon(French), the Tulip(diner), Barbecue Hut(Indian), Madras Dosa(Indian), Nevada(American-French) the Carousel(stand up bacon sandwich bar), Dufflet(cake shop). I suggest that Captain John's ( a restaurant in a boat) and the Beer Bistro are the worst clip joints in the city.

I wouldn't bother with the CNN Tower, from up there you can see a bleak landscape of unattractive suburbs and lots of lake. It's worth going with children, for the glass floor, but I'd say that's it. I might risk going to the Island though it'll be chilly on the ferry. If you want outdoors then the Queen car to Woodbine (ask the driver to call out when you get to Woodbine), walk south, take the boardwalk east along the lake as far as you care to, then walk up to Queen for lots of restaurants and bars.

Allen Gardens is a very Toronto place, a greenhouse of cacti surrounded by homeless people and gay dog walkers. Since it's the afternoon, you could also go to the St. Lawrence market and buy whatever food you can't get in the east. And then for visions you don't get at home, there's Church St. from about Gerrard to Bloor.
Thank you dbd

I suppose you have no shortage of animals in whatever rustic place you live in, but, if time is short, you could do worse than to take the Carlton car to Parliament, walk a block north and then east and wander through the very attractive houses to the Riverdale zoo (a sort of urban recreation of a farm). It'd be more about gawking at the houses, Victorian and recreations thereof, than seeing a couple of cart horses and some chickens but it's very pleasant.
your so charming lol, we dont live as rustic now dontcha know

Originally Posted by Clematis
Toronto Islands is quite nice, I would take a trip up the CN Tower just to say that you have been there, and there is a hippobus that takes through the city and then splashes into Ontario Place at the end of the tour....
thank you

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
IMO the CN Tower is a must for a first time visitor. The tickets are pricey but for a little more you can buy dual tickets and eat at the tower's 360 restaurant. Book the meal just before dusk...that way you see both daytime and nighttime views.
Originally Posted by dollface
I agree...........
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Get laid.
there's always one

Originally Posted by Clematis
Don't think her OH will be too happy to hear that, seeing as he will be in NS!
, with 2 kids!,

Thanks all for your ideas
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
If you want the eating expeience to beat all eating experiences head to The Rich Tree Market Restaurant on Yonge Street....our fav place.......all cooked individually while you wait.....all types of food and the puds are to die for!
lol
Stef
The Rich Tree is the old Movenpick buffet rebranded and moved slightly downmarket. Their distribution points are locations in malls. Even when the Rich Tree was Movenpick it wasn't quite up to the standard of the ones in Europe. It seems a shame to go to Toronto and to eat in a transplanted Autoroute Service Area. If you want food that you have to carry from the place of cooking, then Chinatown (Spadina/Dundas) offers that and smells you won't get at home. Little India (Gerrard from Greenwood to Coxwell) also has lots of street food vendors though it's more of a night place than an afternoon one.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:39 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Get laid.
Does Mrs Novocastrian know that you are offering, erm, 'recreational opportunities', to strangers on the internet?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
lol
Stef
It will be re-opening in the summer under the Movenpick name. There is a cafe there now selling drinks, sandwiches, snacks that sort of thing.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

The Rich Tree is the old Movenpick buffet rebranded and moved slightly downmarket. Their distribution points are locations in malls. Even when the Rich Tree was Movenpick it wasn't quite up to the standard of the ones in Europe. It seems a shame to go to Toronto and to eat in a transplanted Autoroute Service Area.
Good analogy of Movenpick...I remember when it opened in Toronto in the early 90's people raved about the novelty of the food being prepared in front of you as you, the customer, walked from food station to food station to pick up your food. Having said all that, the coffee was quite good and ditto for the 'rosti' and the desserts.

As you probably know, Movenpick is the default restaurant in Switzerland on the autobahn and in many train stations....actually some of the most affordable food in Switzerland.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Good analogy of Movenpick...I remember when it opened in Toronto in the early 90's people raved about the novelty of the food being prepared in front of you as you, the customer, walked from food station to food station to pick up your food.
The one on York St. was less of a cafeteria. I used to go there from time-to-time with assorted Swiss people; they'd analyze the rosti with the disdain one sees from the English at American beer tastings.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

SMCNI1968 is on a distinguished road

Hi

I am in Toronto for work next week, I think I may have a free afternoon on Wednesday, so have a few hours to do what I like!

As this is my first trip to Toronto, is there anything you recommend I should see or do , in the very short time I have? Would like to make the most of it

Thanks
Where will you be staying?
Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

marimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nice

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Good analogy of Movenpick...I remember when it opened in Toronto in the early 90's people raved about the novelty of the food being prepared in front of you as you, the customer, walked from food station to food station to pick up your food. Having said all that, the coffee was quite good and ditto for the 'rosti' and the desserts.

As you probably know, Movenpick is the default restaurant in Switzerland on the autobahn and in many train stations....actually some of the most affordable food in Switzerland.
I did not know that. I remember everyone raving about it when it was new too and I just couldn't understand it - I go out for a nice meal with friends and we end up wandering around food stations instead of sitting down and talking with each other!
Old Apr 24th 2010, 1:48 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

a greenhouse of cacti surrounded by homeless people and gay dog walkers.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:04 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Work extra hours to finish up the job as quick as possible and then head to Montreal.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:24 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

A corner I know passably well. Don't eat at Bill's Fish and Chips! There's a nice swimming pool, poorly marked as public, just over the bridge on the east side.
Yes I have seen this pool. I have discovered a hidden gem of a swimming pool though at Glen Ames High School next to the Beeches Rec Centre. Never busy- so easy to work out.

I had seen Bill's Fish & Chips but not yet ventured in. There is a resonable jerk chicken place called "Cool Runnings" and a breakfast place opposite that I occasionally visit on Main heading south of the intersection.

What would you say is the best Fish & Chip shop in this area?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by JamesM
Yes I have seen this pool. I have discovered a hidden gem of a swimming pool though at Glen Ames High School next to the Beeches Rec Centre. Never busy- so easy to work out.

I had seen Bill's Fish & Chips but not yet ventured in. There is a resonable jerk chicken place called "Cool Runnings" and a breakfast place opposite that I occasionally visit on Main heading south of the intersection.

What would you say is the best Fish & Chip shop in this area?
Duckworths, on Danforth, east of Main, opposite Canadian Tire for fish and chips. I liked the Dutchpot better than Cool Runnings but I saw this weekend that its gone. Cool Runnings must now be the best place locally.

My daughter had shifts as a lifeguard at both of those pools as well as at Riverdale, Greenwood and Regent Park, and was the swimming coach at Matty Eckler (opposite the welfare mall) before ending up as a shift manager at the pool on the boardwalk. One can pick up a lots of gossip hanging around swimming pools; Riverdale is only for the most broadminded of straight men.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:57 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Riverdale is only for the most broadminded of straight men.
I read this today and thought of you

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100425...20100425062533
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:02 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I read this today and thought of you

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100425...20100425062533
Hilarious. You can just hear the Oz accent when reading that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.