Toronto Only.

Old Apr 7th 2012, 7:07 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Toronto Only.

Ok you lot who live in or around Toronto, how do you say it now you been here a while.

Tor-ron-toe.

Or

Trono.

Or

Tron-toe.

Last edited by magnumpi; Apr 7th 2012 at 7:13 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:16 pm

Peterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant future
Default Re: Toronto Only.

it`s Trono , of course . I will never forget when I came here 35 years ago and our Air Canada pilot announced welcome to Trono , my family and I had a chuckle , but it soon became the accepted pronunciation
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:23 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peterfrombournemouth
it`s Trono , of course . I will never forget when I came here 35 years ago and our Air Canada pilot announced welcome to Trono , my family and I had a chuckle , but it soon became the accepted pronunciation
Yup. That's what I keep saying now. But....OH Insists it's Tore-ron-toe. Lol.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Yup. That's what I keep saying now. But....OH Insists it's Tore-ron-toe. Lol.
It's homophonic with the capital of Albania, Tirana.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 9:23 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Ok you lot who live in or around Toronto, how do you say it now you been here a while.

Tor-ron-toe.

Or

Trono.

Or

Tron-toe.
I would say it's more teronoe than Trono.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 9:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I would say it's more teronoe than Trono.
Off topic (about time already) but it always puzzles me that the forenames Dawn and Don are indistinguishable to Torontonians (perhaps to all Canadians, I don't know).
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Off topic (about time already) .
Like that!
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Like that!
Ha ha. Whatever guys.

Ok what about tomato

are you still saying , toe-mar-toe.

Or are you now saying tomaydo?

I now don't feel as stupid saying tomaydo when ordering my sub anymore.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Off topic (about time already) but it always puzzles me that the forenames Dawn and Don are indistinguishable to Torontonians (perhaps to all Canadians, I don't know).
Erin and Aaron always makes me laugh
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by phat-dave
Yeh that comedy duo are 5* dude
Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Tor-ron-toe.

Or

Trono.

Or

Tron-toe.
I'm born and raised in Southern Ontario. It's Terono. I've just asked my Oakville raised husband and listened to myself and it's definitely Terono.
How would you pronounce Dawn and Don differently?
Originally Posted by phat-dave
Same with Erin and Aaron. How are they pronounced differently? Here in Australia both Dawn/Don and Erin/Aaron are pronounced the same as each other.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

Trunnoe!
Old Apr 8th 2012, 1:29 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy

Same with Erin and Aaron. How are they pronounced differently? Here in Australia both Dawn/Don and Erin/Aaron are pronounced the same as each other.
Erin is pronounced with a short e as is step. Aaron with a long a as in stray.

Dawn is pronounced with an awe in the middle - it rhymes with thorn. Don, however, has a short o and rhymes with none.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:17 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by JonboyE

Dawn is pronounced with an awe in the middle - it rhymes with thorn. Don, however, has a short o and rhymes with none.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Perhaps.

But to return the thread to things for Torontonians, I discovered a superb Indian restaurant last night, a bit by default.

Our fave Indian has been Jaipur at East Beaver Creek, just north of highway 7, since it opened in 2003. We were planning on that last night, but when I phoned to make sure it was open on Good Friday, the number was out of service. Horror, on further checking it's gone out of business.

Now I know why. Another much better Indian, much, much, much better is now just down the road at 760E Hwy 7. It's called The Host and serves the best Indian food I've ever had.

Aside from the usual Brit-Indian stuff there are numerous dishes on the menu that I've never heard of. We tried a starter (unfortunately I wasn't taking notes) but it was delicious and quite different from the standard stuff.

We were less adventuress on the main courses (for reasons of comparison) but they were superb.

We'll be going back there (very often).

And it's still T'rana.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 7:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Erin is pronounced with a short e as is step. Aaron with a long a as in stray.

So, it's Airin and A-ron then. And Dorn and Dun. Right?

And it's still Terono.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.