Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Toronto Guns n Gangs problem

Toronto Guns n Gangs problem

Old Aug 31st 2019, 2:04 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Toronto Guns n Gangs problem

wow every single day now a shooting, sometimes even 2-3 or more shootings a day, in daylight too

Bank holiday weekend is upon us, start counting the shootings now, last night one dead in brampton

Why can’t the police get a grip on this, what’s stopping them?

Mandantary sentencing would be a start but no mention of that yet.
Old Aug 31st 2019, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto Guns n Gangs problem

Originally Posted by magnumpi
wow every single day now a shooting, sometimes even 2-3 or more shootings a day, in daylight too
Political correctness. Take a deep dive into these shootings and who is responsible then you might just see a pattern but of course coming out and saying this is frowned upon.
Old Aug 31st 2019, 2:27 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Political correctness. Take a deep dive into these shootings and who is responsible then you might just see a pattern but of course coming out and saying this is frowned upon.

Hmm, Ajax just had a shoot out the other night, at Rum Diaries a Caribbean bar, one of the shooters was arrested at home, at Jane Finch ?? WTF shoot ya own neighbours not mine you idiot !!!
Old Aug 31st 2019, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Bank holiday weekend is upon us, start counting the shootings now, last night one dead in brampton

Don't worry too much, like in the U.S., if we send thoughts and prayers then no-one actually has to do anything about it...
Old Aug 31st 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Don't worry too much, like in the U.S., if we send thoughts and prayers then no-one actually has to do anything about it...
Ha ha yeh that’s the usual reply we seem to get in Canada 🇨🇦

The issue is these idiots fired off a dozen shots Thursday eve and missed their target, that’s a possible 12 stray bullets hitting passing cars or entering a house window yards away
Old Aug 31st 2019, 2:51 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I'd say more political than political correctness.

Canada is so left, liberal and human rights orientated that the policing and the tactics that the police are allowed to use is frankly too soft.
Old Aug 31st 2019, 3:39 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Canada is so left, liberal and human rights orientated that the policing and the tactics that the police are allowed to use is frankly too soft.
Do I suspect from your post that you're politics lies a little right of centre?
And, am I correct in assuming that you accuse our 'left, liberal and human rights orientated' politicians of preventing the police from actively doing their job?
Perhaps a Trump-like administration would be more to your liking where pardons are dangled to encourage government employees to serve the state by breaking the law, or would a Duterte-like regime would suit, where police death squads roam the streets to rid the streets of feral children, or maybe a far left Stalin-like administration would help.
Personally, I prefer to know that the cop I see on the street is bound by the laws of the nation and not by the whims of some lunatic politician of whatever hue you'd prefer.
It's a slippery slope and once on it it's difficult to get off.

Old Aug 31st 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j
And, am I correct in assuming that you accuse our 'left, liberal and human rights orientated' politicians of preventing the police from actively doing their job?
Perhaps a Trump-like administration would be more to your liking where pardons are dangled to encourage government employees to serve the state by breaking the law, or would a Duterte-like regime would suit, where police death squads roam the streets to rid the streets of feral children, or maybe a far left Stalin-like administration would help.
Personally, I prefer to know that the cop I see on the street is bound by the laws of the nation and not by the whims of some lunatic politician of whatever hue you'd prefer.

With 350 gun crime individuals being let out on bail this year alone it maybe another issue at the court level too
Old Aug 31st 2019, 4:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The path to reducing gun violence in Canada is clear enough; fight the NRA, get gun bans introduced in the US, cut down the supply of weaponry, It's not going to happen under the Trump administration.
Old Aug 31st 2019, 4:31 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The path to reducing gun violence in Canada is clear enough; fight the NRA, get gun bans introduced in the US, cut down the supply of weaponry, It's not going to happen under the Trump administration.
The meth trade is tied into gun crime as well; meth use goes up and gun crime goes up with it.
Old Aug 31st 2019, 5:34 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

With 350 gun crime individuals being let out on bail this year alone it maybe another issue at the court level too
As hinted, this is a political issue and one that needs debate to enact good laws, but what is permitted today is a reflection of fruitless debate of decades.
Hard cases make bad laws.
One can only hope that this doesn't become an excuse for repressive legislation targeting the likes of me who has never owned a firearm.

Old Sep 2nd 2019, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

jeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
My opinion, the problem is the gangs

getting rid of the guns won't do it

maybe stopping the guns coming up from the US illegally across the border may help a bit

but it will then be a knife/stabbing problem, like there is in the UK

It needs some sort of new approach

cheers J

Old Sep 2nd 2019, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by jeremy brewer
Hi

maybe stopping the guns coming up from the US illegally across the border may help a bit

cheers J

At least with a gang on gang knife stabbing issue, no bystanders will get killed by stray knife stabs
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 12:34 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Not really.

I've voted Labour in the UK and at the ballot box last time out I voted Liberal in Canada.

Canada is a ridiculously left leaning country though in my opinion. We're stuck with a civil service that is large, inefficient and overpaid that punishes the rest of us and the policing is too soft.

I'm not sure what Donald Trump has to do with Canadian politics as he is president of the United States which is a different country that has a very different political system.

Last edited by JamesM; Sep 3rd 2019 at 12:37 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 12:40 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by jeremy brewer
Hi

cheers J
There's plenty of guns in Canada. I don't think the border could be much tighter in that regard either.

The police need more powers to take preventative measures against known crime linked individuals.

In London the riots were broken by hacking Blackberry messenger and paying the ring leaders a nice visit. That would never happen in Canada as the backbone simply isn't in place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.