Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Toronto best place to live in the world...

Toronto best place to live in the world...

Old Feb 1st 2015, 9:12 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto best place to live in the world...

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Can we play another game?

Which UK city is most like Vancouver or Toronto?

I'd suggest Manchester for Toronto and Brighton for Vancouver.

Although both might be controversial choices.
Interesting proposition. Would have to say, as a national epicentre, London for Toronto, but then the difference in scale and "world clout" difference undermines the comparison. Manchester on the other hand, too small, too provincial.

Vancouver? No real UK comparator, though it does share some Brighton characteristics (liberal, costal).
Old Feb 1st 2015, 12:08 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Brighton is probably as close as you can get for Vancouver; but even that's a stretch.

Toronto I just don't think you can draw a comparison. For starters, there's the lake. Second, there's the new town sprawling suburbs. Maybe if you dropped Manchester city centre into Nowa Huta (don't dare mention a new town in blighty) and slap a lake on one side...
Old Feb 1st 2015, 4:50 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Can we play another game?

Which UK city is most like Vancouver or Toronto?

I'd suggest Manchester for Toronto and Brighton for Vancouver.

Although both might be controversial choices.
I thought Brighton largely because of the Green and gay communities there.

Manchester because it's a second city which thinks as if and is always is thrall to London, just as Toronto is to Chicago or New York.
Originally Posted by Shard
Interesting proposition. Would have to say, as a national epicentre, London for Toronto, but then the difference in scale and "world clout" difference undermines the comparison. Manchester on the other hand, too small, too provincial.

Vancouver? No real UK comparator, though it does share some Brighton characteristics (liberal, costal).
I lived in Manchester for 3 years as a student and have spent 6 years in Toronto. I lived in Clapham for two years and worked in London and the South East for 6 or 7 years.

Toronto and Manchester is a reasonable comparison in terms of number things to do and likely cultural events that will occur in the city.

One thing about Manchester is that it is a city that re-invents itself incredibly quickly and I think this process is helped by it's vast student population and ability to adapt to trends.

Where Toronto slightly pulls ahead on a professional level is the presence and headquarters of the Big 5 banks that draws in more commerce.

Shard describe's Manchester as small and provincial. I think most Canadian cities are highly provincial.

Going forward that may change with immigrants heading predominantly to Van, To and Calgary resulting in growth.

Manchester I think along with the north has a net migration loss each year. That is something that fingers crossed the new high speed rail link will change.

My only other point is I think Toronto isn't quite the epicentre because the national government is based in Ottawa after all. If you relocated that then there would be a push closer to London.

Toronto is a big city. London is a metropolis. Therefore I think Manchester, perhaps Birmingham are closer at this stage. Toronto is upwardly mobile.

The Curry Mile meets Chinese Food on Spadina :-)

Vancouver is Brighton or Southampton before you look at the spectacular surroundings.

Calgary is Newcastle. Spent about a a weekend in both so I'm clearly an expert

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 1st 2015 at 5:04 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 7:23 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Chicago. I get lost there because the lake is in the wrong place and other than that it looks the same.
Oh but Chicago is lovely to look at, well the downtown bits, not the impoverished ghetto parts. It had the benefit of being able to rebuild after the fire so the waterfront isn't all industry and railways.