British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Topshop (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/topshop-721821/)

victorfoxtrot Jun 21st 2011 2:06 pm

Topshop

Not sure how I missed this, maybe you already know...but Topshop (and Topman) is coming to Canada in the Autumn through The Bay. Looks like the first store is going to be Yorkdale Mall, Toronto, but you'll be able to shop online via The Bay across the country. Looks like there are some pop up stores in Ontario this summer too. First Next, now Top Shop, maybe Primark soon or is that wishful thinking.....

BristolUK Jun 21st 2011 2:36 pm

Re: Topshop

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot (Post 9446918)
...maybe Primark soon or is that wishful thinking.....

Giant Tiger isn't a million miles away from Primark.

mumof2 Jun 21st 2011 4:35 pm

Where did you see a Next ?

BristolUK Jun 21st 2011 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by mumof2 (Post 9447282)
Where did you see a Next ?

I think that was just delivery to Canada.

YoshiPal2010 Jun 21st 2011 4:40 pm

Why does everybody start wishing that certain chains were available here in Canada? I thought that you came to experience a foreign country. Besides, Canadians are not fashion-forward enough for a lot of the British fashion looks!

jericho Jun 21st 2011 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010 (Post 9447295)
Why does everybody start wishing that certain chains were available here in Canada? I thought that you came to experience a foreign country. Besides, Canadians are not fashion-forward enough for a lot of the British fashion looks!

Most people move to Canada because they want a better life. I've not met anyone yet that moved here because they wanted to try a different fashion.

What difference does it make to you if people want to wear clothes that they like?

Oink Jun 21st 2011 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot (Post 9446918)
Not sure how I missed this, maybe you already know...but Topshop (and Topman) is coming to Canada in the Autumn through The Bay. Looks like the first store is going to be Yorkdale Mall, Toronto, but you'll be able to shop online via The Bay across the country. Looks like there are some pop up stores in Ontario this summer too. First Next, now Top Shop, maybe Primark soon or is that wishful thinking.....

I thought people moved to Canada to get away from chavs but now we're so nostalgic we want to dress like them?

JamesM Jun 21st 2011 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9447377)
I thought people moved to Canada to get away from chavs but now we're so nostalgic we want to dress like them?

Yes TopShop and TopMan are hardly geared at most of the people on here's demographic.

Topman is aimed at teens to early twenties- then it's upto Burtons.

There is definately very little choice in Canada but I miss the food retailers way more than clothing. You can go clothes shopping on any trip to the UK or NYC. Decent food doesn't keep however.

Oink Jun 21st 2011 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 9447398)
Yes TopShop and TopMan are hardly geared at most of the people on here's demographic.

Topman is aimed at teens to early twenties- then it's upto Burtons.

There is definately very little choice in Canada but I miss the food retailers way more than clothing. You can go clothes shopping on any trip to the UK or NYC. Decent food doesn't keep however.

Did you know that Tesco are now doing a strawberry and clotted cream sandwich. Now that doesn't sound that appetizing but it's that type of dynamic innovation and adventuresome, thinking outside the box if you want, which is sorely missing in Canada.

Sandwich Story

Atlantic Xpat Jun 21st 2011 5:43 pm

I'm puzzled by the whole 'the youth of Canada doesn't do fashion thing'. Every teen I see in St. John's seems to be sporting clothing with 'Bench' emblazoned across it. Not knowing what that meant I turned to my friend goggle. Imagine my surprise when I found that 'Bench' was a British fashion label. Presumably now deeply unfashionable in the UK?

Oink Jun 21st 2011 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9447439)
I'm puzzled by the whole 'the youth of Canada doesn't do fashion thing'. Every teen I see in St. John's seems to be sporting clothing with 'Bench' emblazoned across it. Not knowing what that meant I turned to my friend goggle. Imagine my surprise when I found that 'Bench' was a British fashion label. Presumably now deeply unfashionable in the UK?

The research suggest it's a class/race issue. In NA the only major youth demographic that is hyperaware of fashion and use clothes as symbols of masculinity are African-Americans. White NA by extension either adopt the dress like African American youth or being concerned with fashion in general is considered non masculine ie gay. In the UK it has traditionally been the working class that expresses its masculinity and opposition to authority through clothes, whilst UK middle class youth have traditionally shunned that form of expression.

Greenhill Jun 21st 2011 5:55 pm

You have a tight-fitting monocle for a friend?

Whatever next.

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9447439)
Not knowing what that meant I turned to my friend goggle.

YoshiPal2010 Jun 21st 2011 5:57 pm

Yes, but Top Shop sells fashionable casual clothing, the sort of thing that you can wear out on the town! Sweat pants and pajama bottoms are not the same thing. Good heavens, you will be saying that the "Canadian tuxedo" and ballcap with fag hanging out of the mouth are "haute couture".

victorfoxtrot Jun 21st 2011 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010 (Post 9447295)
Why does everybody start wishing that certain chains were available here in Canada? I thought that you came to experience a foreign country.

I came to Canada for love so perhaps my perspective is very different to someone who has spent years trying to get to Canada to begin living what they consider to be their dream life. So whilst I am getting on fine out here, every once in a while I get a yearning for something from back in the UK. I think that's ok!?! I second the other comments on food shopping and the creativity of UK retailers and suppliers. Visiting the UK over the summer and will be making the most of Waitrose. :)

Oh and yes, to just make it clear, Next stores aren't open here, but they have recently started shipping to Canada.

YoshiPal2010 Jun 21st 2011 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot (Post 9447468)
I came to Canada for love so perhaps my perspective is very different to someone who has spent years trying to get to Canada to begin living what they consider to be their dream life. So whilst I am getting on fine out here, every once in a while I get a yearning for something from back in the UK. I think that's ok!?! I second the other comments on food shopping and the creativity of UK retailers and suppliers. Visiting the UK over the summer and will be making the most of Waitrose. :)

I have been here 13 years, and still get yearnings for things from the UK, but the fact that they are not always readily available here is what makes them a treat! Why would anyone want to recreate their own "Little Britain" in Canada, when they no doubt railed against that sort of mindset in newcomers to the UK (and don't say that that attitude is not widespread back home -- I did it myself!).