British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Top 10 Best Places to Live in Canada - Moving Waldo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/top-10-best-places-live-canada-moving-waldo-946851/)

CanadaJimmy Jan 22nd 2023 8:55 pm

Top 10 Best Places to Live in Canada - Moving Waldo

I thought this list was interesting because its so different from the usual “Quality of Life” rankings, this Moving Waldo list apparently focuses on 3 main criteria - safety (based on the crime rate), affordability, and access to recreational facilities and parks. It also seems like towns that have a lot going on culturally like events and arts get a higher ranking.

1.Edmundston, New Brunswick
2.Saguenay, Quebec
3.Levis, Quebec
4.Deep River, Ontario
5.Trenton, Nova Scotia
6.Quebec City, Quebec
7.Thetford Mines, Quebec
8.High River, Alberta
9.Barrie, Ontario
10.Wellington County, Ontario

https://www.movingwaldo.com/daily-li...ive-in-canada/

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/albert...ada-high-river

dbd33 Jan 22nd 2023 9:21 pm

Re: Top 10 Best Places to Live in Canada - Moving Waldo

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 13167502)
I thought this list was interesting because its so different from the usual “Quality of Life” rankings, this Moving Waldo list apparently focuses on 3 main criteria - safety (based on the crime rate), affordability, and access to recreational facilities and parks. It also seems like towns that have a lot going on culturally like events and arts get a higher ranking.

1.Edmundston, New Brunswick
2.Saguenay, Quebec
3.Levis, Quebec
4.Deep River, Ontario
5.Trenton, Nova Scotia
6.Quebec City, Quebec
7.Thetford Mines, Quebec
8.High River, Alberta
9.Barrie, Ontario
10.Wellington County, Ontario

https://www.movingwaldo.com/daily-li...ive-in-canada/

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/albert...ada-high-river

I am standing in #10. I scratch my head.

Jingsamichty Jan 23rd 2023 8:25 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13167505)

I've been to #8. Equally bemused.

dbd33 Jan 23rd 2023 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 13167571)
I've been to #8. Equally bemused.

I know of #8 because of the floods. I would not want to try and insure a house there.

#9 is a truly ghastly place. The plaza with the Costco store might be the most attractive part of town.

Almost Canadian Jan 23rd 2023 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13167669)
I know of #8 because of the floods. I would not want to try and insure a house there.

#9 is a truly ghastly place. The plaza with the Costco store might be the most attractive part of town.

As you likely know, blink and you will miss High River while driving through it. There were only a couple of areas (much lower than the surrounds) that were badly affected and, as the government baled them out, most are not worried about insurance, confident in the knowledge that the government will bale them out again.

I have to admit that I can't see the attraction myself, but its real estate is much less expensive than Calgary, or Okotoks, so, one assumes, that is why it scores as well as it does.

I am I said Jan 24th 2023 11:57 am

Originally Posted by KayBex (Post 13167507)
Thought this might be useful to potential newcomers to Canada too.
https://www.savvynewcanadians.com/ch...ive-in-canada/

20. St. Catharines, ON

• Population: 421,000
  • Highlights: Niagara Region, the sixth-largest urban area in Ontario.
  • Main employment drivers: Shipbuilding, mills.
  • Cost of living for a single person: $1,101.55, not including rent
  • Average home costs: $439,600
  • Annual median income: $59,256
The main employment drivers look out of date. Unless the second was a misspelling of 'malls'.

JamesM Jan 24th 2023 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13167505)

The 3 Ontario places are all a little odd.

Deep RIver has a population of 4,000. Granted it is on the edge of Algonguin if you do want "access to the outdoors" but there is perhaps 5 going out venues. I would guess real estate there is cheap because there is no work within an hour and a half. But I'm curious how it is picked over any other small rural town in this part of the world.

Barrie has proximity to some ski hills which is a personal preference. It's an ok part of the world but I'd, perhaps misguidedly put Guelph and Waterloo-Kitchener over them and Ottawa too if once is chasing culture.

Barrie is ok though.

HGerchikov Jan 24th 2023 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13167912)
The 3 Ontario places are all a little odd.

Deep RIver has a population of 4,000. Granted it is on the edge of Algonguin if you do want "access to the outdoors" but there is perhaps 5 going out venues. I would guess real estate there is cheap because there is no work within an hour and a half. But I'm curious how it is picked over any other small rural town in this part of the world.

Barrie has proximity to some ski hills which is a personal preference. It's an ok part of the world but I'd, perhaps misguidedly put Guelph and Waterloo-Kitchener over them and Ottawa too if once is chasing culture.

Barrie is ok though.

I spent a winter in Deep River, actually about 20km outside of it (Deep River was the big city compared to where we were) - my husband spent longer as he worked there for about 18 months. I can't think of 5 going out venues - I can think of two! One of them handed us the remote to the TV because we wanted to watch a game and we were the only people in there. It is beautiful countryside, but not big on cultural activities. We went on some lovely hikes and the cross country skiing was great, but I am sure there are a lot of places that would provide that. I currently live in Wellington County (#10 on the list) - it is warmer than Deep River and there is less snow.

Former Lancastrian Jan 24th 2023 10:05 pm

I bet the vast majority of posters who frequent this site don't live in the best top 10 and I am sure I could find another article that has their top 10. You only need to look at posts in the Immigration section and I rarely see any of those places being mentioned of I am thinking of moving to Canada type threads.

I am fortunate that I work in a field where I could work in every Province & Territory and I have worked in 3 of them. I get paid the same if I was living in Climax, Saskatchewan as I would in Vancouver,Toronto, Montreal or Calgary but guess what I don't want to live in any of them. I am content where I am. I am not implying that this top 10 is wrong but I seriously doubt I will be seeing a post of I have been offered a job in Thetford Mines what do you think?

dbd33 Jan 24th 2023 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by I am I said (Post 13167898)

20. St. Catharines, ON

• Population: 421,000
  • Highlights: Niagara Region, the sixth-largest urban area in Ontario.
  • Main employment drivers: Shipbuilding, mills.
  • Cost of living for a single person: $1,101.55, not including rent
  • Average home costs: $439,600
  • Annual median income: $59,256
The main employment drivers look out of date. Unless the second was a misspelling of 'malls'.

Lots of education there too; university, private schools, etc.

Jingsamichty Jan 25th 2023 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13168019)
I bet the vast majority of posters who frequent this site don't live in the best top 10 and I am sure I could find another article that has their top 10. You only need to look at posts in the Immigration section and I rarely see any of those places being mentioned of I am thinking of moving to Canada type threads.

I am fortunate that I work in a field where I could work in every Province & Territory and I have worked in 3 of them. I get paid the same if I was living in Climax, Saskatchewan as I would in Vancouver,Toronto, Montreal or Calgary but guess what I don't want to live in any of them. I am content where I am. I am not implying that this top 10 is wrong but I seriously doubt I will be seeing a post of I have been offered a job in Thetford Mines what do you think?

Climax, Saskatchawan... I do hope it's twinned with Spunk Creek, Minnesota or Intercourse, Pennsylvania.

Oink Jan 26th 2023 12:36 am

#1 Not in Canada