Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Toon Army / EPL thread

The Toon Army / EPL thread

Old May 26th 2008, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Toon Army / EPL thread

no you don't what? I don't recall asking you any questions.

He took a team that was struggling despite (actually because of) all the big names with no hunger like Kluivert and Rivaldo and cleaned up the mess left by van Gaal who was supposedly the best coach on the planet when he took over. He got rid of the dead wood, brought in the likes of Edgar Davids temporarily to get them into the champions league when they didn't look like qualifying then went out and brought in Eto'o, Guily (Giuly?), Marquez and Deco, threatened the board to give Puyol a decent contract or he'd walk, blooded the likes of Iniesta, Oleguer and Valdes when Real were spending even more money on crap players like Beckham, Ramos and Walter Samuel. He turned the club around in under 3 seasons all the while dealing with an internal power struggle at boardroom level. Not exactly under-achievement by any stretch.

Now I doubt he'd be able to do the same thing for Chelsea but what he achieved at Barcelona shouldn't be minimised or overlooked but then you're a United fan so should I really expect anything else?

Originally Posted by rae
no i don't and the best football team on the planet, namely when ronaldinho, puyol, messi and eto'o joined, along with some more whose names escape me, so players then not the boss. hes won laliga, and the champions league in how many seasons not sure, but i remember him signing ronaldinho when he first started, pinching him from us so around 2004-5. considering results of others like murinho, benitez, and ferguson, no i do not think that is enough with the players at his disposal, especially with Real on the wane, and clubs like bilbao offering little competition from what i can see. he is no cruyff. if he is allowed to have a clear out and buy big maybe he can do something, but i do that on x-box 360 all the time and i have won everything.
Hes got nice hair, give him that. i think he is the foreign equivalent of bryan robson as a manager who is my all time best player, but even i have to admit he is a crap manager unless awash with funds ala gibson, when he first arrived.
Old May 26th 2008, 2:23 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to Utd.

As for Chelski sacking Grant, doesn't Abramovich understand that teams are more successful when there is stability of management and coaching staff. Even though Arsenal haven't won anything in the last few seasons I don't feel sacking Wenger is a good idea, neither would sacking Benitez be a good move for Liverpool. Where would Utd be now if they'd sacked Ferguson after the first season he didn't win the league?

As much as I dislike Chelski, Grant didn't deserveto lose his job from a fan's point of view. He was thrown into the deep end after Moron Ho's sacking and did a very good job of keeping Chelski in the running for the league and CL.
Old May 27th 2008, 6:39 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mc_dub
no you don't what? I don't recall asking you any questions.

He took a team that was struggling despite (actually because of) all the big names with no hunger like Kluivert and Rivaldo and cleaned up the mess left by van Gaal who was supposedly the best coach on the planet when he took over. He got rid of the dead wood, brought in the likes of Edgar Davids temporarily to get them into the champions league when they didn't look like qualifying then went out and brought in Eto'o, Guily (Giuly?), Marquez and Deco, threatened the board to give Puyol a decent contract or he'd walk, blooded the likes of Iniesta, Oleguer and Valdes when Real were spending even more money on crap players like Beckham, Ramos and Walter Samuel. He turned the club around in under 3 seasons all the while dealing with an internal power struggle at boardroom level. Not exactly under-achievement by any stretch.

Now I doubt he'd be able to do the same thing for Chelsea but what he achieved at Barcelona shouldn't be minimised or overlooked but then you're a United fan so should I really expect anything else?
well excuse me from having an opinion that differs from yours. i did not realise depending on your team of choice, this limits your ability to form conclusions that differs from others. it does it appear though to prevent me from tacking nasty little comments on the end of my posts.
Old May 27th 2008, 6:50 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

aahh i just realised mc_dub is an everton fan, that explains it. never mind mate, the bitterness over the other side of the park will subside in time, say another 10yrs or so when you have the same stadium you can go and stare at the trophy cabinet and pretend they say everton on them instead.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:31 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by rae
lippi new boss.
World Cup winning coach Marcello Lippi heads Chelsea's four-man shortlist for their new boss ahead of Guus Hiddink, Roberto Mancini and Rijkaard. (Sunday Mirror)

remember where you heard it first.
Old May 28th 2008, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

right, now we've gotten that out of our system, where do we all feel we need strengthening in the summer? I think we need another striker, a holding midfielder with the mammoth task of replacing Carsley, a creative midfielder and a right back with someone to play on the left of midfield if we have any spare cash or Moyes can pull off one of his magical loan deals
Old May 28th 2008, 6:03 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
World Cup winning coach Marcello Lippi heads Chelsea's four-man shortlist for their new boss ahead of Guus Hiddink, Roberto Mancini and Rijkaard. (Sunday Mirror)

remember where you heard it first.
Yes well done you have been banging on about Lippi for ages..
Could yet be steve mcclaren
Old May 28th 2008, 6:09 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

right, now we've gotten that out of our system, where do we all feel we need strengthening in the summer? I think we need another striker, a holding midfielder with the mammoth task of replacing Carsley, a creative midfielder and a right back with someone to play on the left of midfield if we have any spare cash or Moyes can pull off one of his magical loan deals
erm the whole team cept Phil Nevell!!!!!!!!!
Old May 28th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flogger
erm the whole team cept Phil Nevell!!!!!!!!!
because Yakubu, Lescott, Arteta, Cahill et al aren't better than phyllis?!
Old May 28th 2008, 4:09 pm
no I aint

because Yakubu, Lescott, Arteta, Cahill et al aren't better than phyllis?!
Your right!
Best get rid of him too
Old May 29th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Imagine if this guy was to do the play by play for Toronto FC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aQ7Y....blogspot.com/
Old May 29th 2008, 7:49 pm
rae
Settled.

quite.
i think we really missed out on torres, we need another striker, but appears going to go to chelsea for 50m. eto'o seems to be bandied around again, not sure. evra may not sign, and with what seems like a bit of a clearout at the back, with heinze and silvestre now gone, more support there to. midfield fine, can't see him doing anything in goal, with the england u21 on loan again, that appears to be the long term prospect.

alves and huntelaar then, possibly micah richards, though not many blue-red transfers so doubt that one.

nightmare, never saw mancini coming.
Former Italy boss Marcello Lippi has ruled himself out of the running for the job. (The Sun)
Roberto Mancini looks likely to take over at Chelsea with former Blues boss Jose Mourinho ready to replace the Italian at Inter Milan. (Various)

the first time scouse builders have actually left something at a building job instead of helping themselves.
Cheeky Scouse builders Brian and Gary Greer have revealed they hid a Liverpool FC shrine under Gary Neville's new swimming pool.

The pair built the Manchester United star's new pool and have revealed they buried a club fanzine, a match programme and a Liverpool scarf in a plastic tube before tiling over the top of it and filling in the pool. (The Sun)
Old May 29th 2008, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rae
quite.
the first time scouse builders have actually left something at a building job instead of helping themselves.
Cheeky Scouse builders Brian and Gary Greer have revealed they hid a Liverpool FC shrine under Gary Neville's new swimming pool.

The pair built the Manchester United star's new pool and have revealed they buried a club fanzine, a match programme and a Liverpool scarf in a plastic tube before tiling over the top of it and filling in the pool. (The Sun)
Although I am a Man U fan (and grew up near there and not in Surrey), I'm quite amused by this. Gary Neville is a humourless fellow and his hatred of anything LFC borders on the obsessive. Any guy that talks in the 3rd person as much as him is not quite all there.

Any chance of him retiring/giving up the captaincy.
Old May 29th 2008, 9:18 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by clynnog
Although I am a Man U fan (and grew up near there and not in Surrey), I'm quite amused by this. Gary Neville is a humourless fellow and his hatred of anything LFC borders on the obsessive. Any guy that talks in the 3rd person as much as him is not quite all there.

Any chance of him retiring/giving up the captaincy.
yes joking apart it is a little worrying. i would not swap him as a player or captain, but i would not go around to his house for dinner either. i would take a crap in his pool though.
Old May 29th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rae
yes joking apart it is a little worrying. i would not swap him as a player or captain, but i would not go around to his house for dinner either. i would take a crap in his pool though.
I'm surprised that he hasn't retired gracefully. The guy has played 10 minutes since March 2007 and he isn't getting any younger. If I could get a gig like that, I'd be in with a shot.

Time to hang up his boots. I can't see him playing for any other team.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.