British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Too much money for pre-school? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/too-much-money-pre-school-557945/)

iaink Sep 2nd 2008 7:38 pm

Re: Too much money for pre-school?

Nap time at lunchtime because of staff issues, did I read that right?

Very odd.

"Quiet time" in the afternoon (sort of an optional nap) is a lot more "normal" I think, and takes into account the different developmental stages likely in the 2-4 age group.

Offspring #2 is only going mornings anyway, so it wont affect us, but #1 was in a "BestStart" program on the days she wasnt in JK/ SK, and that had a "quiet time" set aside in the afternoons. She had to take a blanket with her, even though she only sat on it to watch a video most days, having outgrown napping.

Still, it sounds like he did OK for a first day, and you seem to have held up OK too:thumbup:

Do they have "Cooperative" nursery schools in your area? In those programs staffing costs are kept down by having mandatory parental volunteer hours to help out the paid staff...thats the program we are enrolled in. That way there are two or three bodies on hand to help out at meal times and with activities, so nap time can actually be at nap time....

babsi Sep 2nd 2008 7:48 pm

He's going for afternoons from tomorrow for 2 a week, it works out better as I think he will eat more here than there, the lunch didn't look too appetizing.

I was made to feel that it was strange he didn't nap at all and it was a big issue and when she started to look for a policy if they are overtired:mad:...I told her Kai was aggressive but she seemed more bothered about the nap even though he wasn't going to be there for naptime.

I have been agonising over this for a week about sending him and I phoned up at least 20 centres nearby and they won't even put him on a waiting list as they full up. I got all the numbers from toronto.ca

We'll see how it goes with him switching to afternoons. this place wouldn't be my first choice as I really don't like the owner but we need his behaviour to improve and this environment will help him. *touch wood*

JLT Sep 2nd 2008 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by babsi (Post 6741551)
He's going for afternoons from tomorrow for 2 a week, it works out better as I think he will eat more here than there, the lunch didn't look too appetizing.

I was made to feel that it was strange he didn't nap at all and it was a big issue and when she started to look for a policy if they are overtired:mad:...I told her Kai was aggressive but she seemed more bothered about the nap even though he wasn't going to be there for naptime.

I have been agonising over this for a week about sending him and I phoned up at least 20 centres nearby and they won't even put him on a waiting list as they full up. I got all the numbers from toronto.ca

We'll see how it goes with him switching to afternoons. this place wouldn't be my first choice as I really don't like the owner but we need his behaviour to improve and this environment will help him. *touch wood*

Sorry I'm lost how do you think this environment will help him?:confused:

fuschiagirl Sep 2nd 2008 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by babsi (Post 6741551)

How is pre-school going to improve his aggression? IMHO it will only get worse:eek:

gryphea Sep 3rd 2008 1:52 am

Originally Posted by babsi (Post 6740646)
I dropped him off and probably stayed with him for 10 minutes and then said goodbye but he didn't seem interested in me.

I had to sort a few things out in the office and could him crying but it wasn't for too long, just phoned now and he is fine.

I am a little pissed off with them, Kai hasn't had a nap for ages, he just won't sleep in the day and they are making it that I am doing something totally wrong, I know quite a few kids, Kai's age and younger that don't have a nap. He goes to sleep fine for 12 solid hours a night, I think I am doing something right there. She was looking for her policy on if they are overtired and that it would be a trial period because of this:curse:

Our experience here in Alberta and BC is that nurseries are obsessed with napping and still do it to a ridiculous age. It took a LOT of stern words for them not to force my daughter to lie down in the dark on mattress and she is 3 1/2. Of course , guess what she fell asleep as she was forced to and then was up until 11 every night, by which time of course she needed a nap the next day. She gave up napping in the UK at just over 2. My son has been in KG and then over the summer- they introduced a nap for them. I was livid.

We have experienced this at a couple of ski resort daycares. Big White being the worst. We booked daughter in for 2 hr session starting at 1:30pm and she went into pitch black and the daycare staff whispered at me. This was very expensive too. Will never put her in there again.

Gryph

gingnut Sep 3rd 2008 5:01 am

I paid 60/mo for french emersion preschool for 2 mournings a week. The content was not stimulating and the teacher, who had a BA in Ed, was over her head. We pulled him out after 6 months to put him in pre K at the recomendation of our speach therapist.

babsi Sep 3rd 2008 1:41 pm

Environment - meaning being with other children in a structured environment. If I leave this place then there is nowhere nearby.

Another update, the pre-school phoned up last night, saw who it was told my husband to answer it and of course he lets me deal with the issue. So I call back and they are trying to get Kai to go 1 whole day a week and this was because of the nap!!!! They are totally obsessed with this issue the same as my Mum is with potty training! Like someone else said if this happens then he won't go to sleep between 8-8.30 and we have a good routine going. The other thing is the lunch, he hardly had a thing there and I can't see that changing, when he eats most of his lunch here each day.

They said that before I got there yesterday Kai looked tired and think he would have copied the other kids lead. He was up at just after 8 yesterday and he would never have gone to sleep less than 4 hours later no matter how active he is.

I think they are just trying to get me to sign up for 2 whole days which won't be happening.

iaink Sep 3rd 2008 2:09 pm

Go with your instinct about your child, they dont know him, you do.

You have to be quite assertive as a parent here in respects to schooling and health care is my experience.

Dont let them railroad you into doing something your gut is telling you is wrong. Most 2 1/2 year olds still need a nap, but many dont, and THEY SHOULD KNOW THAT! As long as you are doing whats right for him, and not just doing it because it works well for you, then you cant go too far wrong. Besides, expecting them to nap as early as lunch time makes no sense however you look at it.

babsi Sep 4th 2008 7:09 pm

2nd day was a success!! Apparently he was crying a little but not much and was enjoying himself, when I got there he actually didn't want to go and then went to lie down on one of the little beds:curse: I was like Kai get off, I don't need this issue now lol Apparently just before I got there he said 'mummy coming soon':thumbup:

AlexInBC Sep 4th 2008 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by babsi (Post 6723711)
Kai should be starting pre-school on tuesday for 2 mornings a week.

For a 4 week month it is $209 and a 5 week month it is $260.

Does this seem a lot? I am starting to think it is.:(

WOW - that's really steep! We paid $80 per month for 2 mornings a week and it was $120 when he did 3 mornings a week!!!

Oops - just re-read the thread and seen your son's age. I'm not comparing like with like, as I'm talking about the pre-school sessions that my son attended when he was 4, turning 5... I think nurseries (or whatever they'd be called over here) for toddlers would be much more.