Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!

Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!

Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133
Default Re: Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Totally .. But if you were doing such a manoeuvre, With a busy bike lane on your left would you not double, triple check and then be bloody cautious?
Or is that just me as a driver and a cyclist ?
Yes of course. I am not defending the driver I am just being objective. There are multiple points to check so you cant focus on 1. It could be that he looked but did not see you as just at the wrong time you were in a blind spot. The key is that he was not indicating. Unless you can prove he did not check his mirrors it is your word against his on that particular point.

My point was you are wasting your time saying that you did not think he was going to turn right because its a tight turn.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:22 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I would get a written quote for the repairs to your bike, get a new helmet and add the cost of 2 days off of work then get hold of the company and ask them to settle it with you. They will almost certainly call your bluff at which point you say that this is your last chance to settle with me otherwise you will be hearing from my lawyer. Then I would take them to small claims. Chances are they will poop themselves before it gets to court and settle with you.
I have all the quotes .. In BC it has to go thru ICBC the provincial auto insurers.. At present I am playing phone tag with my adjuster !
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Cheque will be in the post then
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I would get a written quote for the repairs to your bike, get a new helmet and add the cost of 2 days off of work then get hold of the company and ask them to settle it with you. They will almost certainly call your bluff at which point you say that this is your last chance to settle with me otherwise you will be hearing from my lawyer. Then I would take them to small claims. Chances are they will poop themselves before it gets to court and settle with you.
Are you kidding? I would go straight to the lawyer, a few hundred bucks, and much greater upside. It doesn't have to go to court, but having a lawyer onside will definitely get the insurer to think in more generous terms.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 6:37 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is most truck drivers don't give a damn about other road users, especially bike riders. If he's a commercial driver he should lose his licence and/or be charged with reckless driving. Did they test him for drugs or alcohol at the scene?
Old Oct 12th 2013, 3:33 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, just popped in to say sorry to hear about your accident. I don't have any clever advice, but I hope you feel better soon and are suitably recompensed! xx
Old Oct 12th 2013, 8:39 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I was nearly hospitalised by a cyclist in January. I was crossing a road, at night. I didn't see any headlights approaching, so I stepped into the road, unaware that a high-speed and wholly unlit cyclist was coming my way.

Neither of us would have come out of that potential collision well. It was a bloody close call.

Rounded off my day nicely. I'd just had my bank card skimmed.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 4:40 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I was nearly hospitalised by a cyclist in January. I was crossing a road, at night. I didn't see any headlights approaching, so I stepped into the road, unaware that a high-speed and wholly unlit cyclist was coming my way.

Neither of us would have come out of that potential collision well. It was a bloody close call.

Rounded off my day nicely. I'd just had my bank card skimmed.
I hate it when I see cyclists with no lights! Bloody stupid!
Glad you were ok
Old Oct 14th 2013, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
Are you kidding? I would go straight to the lawyer, a few hundred bucks, and much greater upside. It doesn't have to go to court, but having a lawyer onside will definitely get the insurer to think in more generous terms.
No I was not kidding. As 4B stated she just wanted her costs met (rightly so). If the transport company were willing to meet all of these without involving a lawyer then why go to one? Yes you might get a bit more compo but then everyone pays through higher insurance rates. This blame claim culture is only positive for the lawyers.

Something of a moot point in this case as insurance is already involved.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Oink
The problem is most truck drivers don't give a damn about other road users, especially bike riders. If he's a commercial driver he should lose his licence and/or be charged with reckless driving. Did they test him for drugs or alcohol at the scene?
Most? or just the ones you notice? An overwhelming majority of accidents involving commercial vehicles are not the truck drivers fault. Go and do a shift with any professional driver and you will change your mind without a doubt.

He should lose his license for reckless driving? This has not been proven in this case either way at this point. The driver or 4B made a mistake. That's all. Its highly unlikely he saw her and thought I'm going to knock her off. He was unlucky at best negligent at worse but not reckless. If you take his license you take his income away, he needs a bloody good kick up the arse and probably needs a bit more training not putting on the dole.

As for Drug and Alcohol testing - was the driver visibly impaired? If so you have no reasonable suspicion that he was under the influence. The law requires this in Canada. If the truck has a US DOT number then the rule is:

Dead - self explanatory

Bed - Did anyone need a stay in Hospital

Sled - Were any motor vehicles towed from the scene

Only then is a Drug and or Alcohol test a legal requirement. This must be done within 2 hours for Alcohol and 8 hours for Drugs.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:04 pm
half a century

No I was not kidding. As 4B stated she just wanted her costs met (rightly so). If the transport company were willing to meet all of these without involving a lawyer then why go to one? Yes you might get a bit more compo but then everyone pays through higher insurance rates. This blame claim culture is only positive for the lawyers.

Something of a moot point in this case as insurance is already involved.
Unfortunately or fortunately ?? In BC it automatically goes via ICBC because of the paramedic n police reports. I suppose I could call the company and if they agree to what I want maybe I able to get ICBC to step away? Not sure.

Tbh I was v lucky .. I ran a half marathon yesterday and other than the usual stiffness today and a stinky cold , I seem
Ok ?!
Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

If it is an automatic process I would let it run its course. I forgot you have single insurance in BC.

Glad you are ok
Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:38 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Unfortunately or fortunately ?? In BC it automatically goes via ICBC because of the paramedic n police reports. I suppose I could call the company and if they agree to what I want maybe I able to get ICBC to step away? Not sure.

Tbh I was v lucky .. I ran a half marathon yesterday and other than the usual stiffness today and a stinky cold , I seem
Ok ?!
Be careful with ICBC bells. You would be wise to consult a lawyer.

Injuries can take some time to develop...
Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:38 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
+ 1
Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:53 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Be careful with ICBC bells. You would be wise to consult a lawyer.

Injuries can take some time to develop...
Will do .. I will poss contact the Hub too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.