Wikiposts

Timmies UK?!

Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:46 am
Just Joined

ukleaf is just really niceukleaf is just really niceukleaf is just really niceukleaf is just really niceukleaf is just really niceukleaf is just really niceukleaf is just really niceukleaf is just really nice
Default Re: Timmies UK?!

The thread is still going strong I see.

Jingsamichty, for your information I'm not pleased with the way things have turned out, however, it is like it is and I stand by my original opinion, this is a brand I love and I DON'T want to see it being ripped off, as to whether I have a vested interest in Tim Hortons is my own business, but maybe one you should think about saying things like - "I don't know why you didn't just pour petrol through the letterbox and torch the place." Why say something totally immature and childish is beyond me.

I think torching someone's business and informing a company about a potential copyright infringement are two entirely different things altogether, don't you?

You say Tim Hortons are big enough to look after themselves, I would agree, but if they (TH) don't know about the place in the first instance then how do they (TH) make an informed decision about whether what the company in Leeds is doing something wrong? I let them know, they could have told me to stop being a tell-tail as you say but they instead decided to do something about it, which tells us all that they are in fact looking after themselves.

I know you have strong views on this subject, you have made that clear, so do I, but, this will be the last posting from me on this subject, I don't want to get in to a slanging match with you or anyone, it's all gotten quite out of hand.

All the best.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

First thing i thought about the informer was 'overreacting' but having now seen the offending picture, i see your point. It is a blatant rip-off.

I guess you're not in Canada -- You'll have a field day with Presidents Choice products!! not to mention TV commercials that rip off artists songs so not to pay any royalties!

Actually you could report vast areas of "Canada" to the U.S. government, come to think of it

Originally Posted by ukleaf
The thread is still going strong I see.

Jingsamichty, for your information I'm not pleased with the way things have turned out, however, it is like it is and I stand by my original opinion, this is a brand I love and I DON'T want to see it being ripped off, as to whether I have a vested interest in Tim Hortons is my own business, but maybe one you should think about saying things like - "I don't know why you didn't just pour petrol through the letterbox and torch the place." Why say something totally immature and childish is beyond me.

I think torching someone's business and informing a company about a potential copyright infringement are two entirely different things altogether, don't you?

You say Tim Hortons are big enough to look after themselves, I would agree, but if they (TH) don't know about the place in the first instance then how do they (TH) make an informed decision about whether what the company in Leeds is doing something wrong? I let them know, they could have told me to stop being a tell-tail as you say but they instead decided to do something about it, which tells us all that they are in fact looking after themselves.

I know you have strong views on this subject, you have made that clear, so do I, but, this will be the last posting from me on this subject, I don't want to get in to a slanging match with you or anyone, it's all gotten quite out of hand.

All the best.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Sue625 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have just Googled Tim Hortons to see if what my son has just told me is true - that he has just been to a Tim Hortons in a BP Garage in Dartmouth, Devon! and I came across this thread.
As someone who visits very dear friends in Toronto on a very regular basis and have to stop on the way from the airport for our Tims coffee and donuts fix,I was realy hoping that Tims would be opening up stores in the UK. Whenever we walk past an empty shop front we say 'good spot for a Tims'.
Anyway, maybe someone can confirm (or not) the rumour I heard that Tim Hortons had been sold to an Irish company.
Thanks
p.s. I also hear the another Canadian favourite store of mine is opening in the UK soon - Homesence - will someone shatter that dream also???
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:09 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue625
Hi, I have just Googled Tim Hortons to see if what my son has just told me is true - that he has just been to a Tim Hortons in a BP Garage in Dartmouth, Devon! and I came across this thread.
As someone who visits very dear friends in Toronto on a very regular basis and have to stop on the way from the airport for our Tims coffee and donuts fix,I was realy hoping that Tims would be opening up stores in the UK. Whenever we walk past an empty shop front we say 'good spot for a Tims'.
Anyway, maybe someone can confirm (or not) the rumour I heard that Tim Hortons had been sold to an Irish company.
Thanks
p.s. I also hear the another Canadian favourite store of mine is opening in the UK soon - Homesence - will someone shatter that dream also???
Tim Horton's is still American owned. $27.00 a share on the Toronto Stock Exchange. The 4th largest restaurant chain in North America by Capitalisation.

I'm sorry I can't help with Homesence.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:57 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ukleaf
this is a brand I love
You love a brand? Are you even human?

People like you are an advertiser's wet dream.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:09 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Tim Horton's is still American owned. $27.00 a share on the Toronto Stock Exchange. The 4th largest restaurant chain in North America by Capitalisation.

I'm sorry I can't help with Homesence.
no it isn't. Tim Hortons is a Canadian business, headquartered in Oakville, ON. For a while it was owned by Wendy's, but they completely divested in Sept 2006 after TH's stock market flotation (on NYSE and TSX) in June 06.

Homesense is the homewares branch of Winners, part of the TJX group which operates TKMaxx in the UK. I don't know if TKM has homewares or if it's just clothing & accessories, but if it does, there's your UK version of Homesense.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Jul 16th 2008 at 10:13 am. Reason: added bit about Winners
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:21 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

TK Maxx does homewares in UK - we also have T J Hughes - same lettering - but allegedly more akin to a small department store - actually - just looks like a tidier TK Maxx on the floor below it!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:23 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
no it isn't. Tim Hortons is a Canadian business, headquartered in Oakville, ON. For a while it was owned by Wendy's, but they completely divested in Sept 2006 after TH's stock market flotation (on NYSE and TSX) in June 06.

Homesense is the homewares branch of Winners, part of the TJX group which operates TKMaxx in the UK. I don't know if TKM has homewares or if it's just clothing & accessories, but if it does, there's your UK version of Homesense.
Canada is American. Last time I looked it was in North America. Obviously it is heaquarted in Toronto as it is on the Toronto stock exchange. But good effort at trying to be a point scorer on what was a friendly post.

Last edited by JamesM; Jul 16th 2008 at 10:31 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:17 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is American. Last time I looked it was in North America. Obviously it is heaquarted in Toronto as it is on the Toronto stock exchange. But good effort at trying to be a point scorer on what was a friendly post.
Huh?

I'm really not trying to score points, just to point out a common misconception (since Tim Hortons used to be owned by a US corporation, but is no longer). "American" is generally considered to refer to the US, not to North America as a whole.

Oh, and slightly fewer than half of all companies listed on the TSX are headquartered in Toronto, but I suppose that's points-scoring again.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:44 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Huh?

I'm really not trying to score points, just to point out a common misconception (since Tim Hortons used to be owned by a US corporation, but is no longer). "American" is generally considered to refer to the US, not to North America as a whole.

Oh, and slightly fewer than half of all companies listed on the TSX are headquartered in Toronto, but I suppose that's points-scoring again.
Sorry I should not have gone on the defensive like that. I do have a question though, slightly of post but you may know the answer but I am curious to know now anyway. Would a company have to be headquartered in Canada to list on the TSX?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:55 am
Magnificently Withering

Sorry I should not have gone on the defensive like that. I do have a question though, slightly of post but you may know the answer but I am curious to know now anyway. Would a company have to be headquartered in Canada to list on the TSX?
no problem

Any company can list on the TSX if it meets the listing criteria. Many foreign companies with significant Canadian operations - especially in the mining and resources sector - choose to take either a primary or secondary listing on the TSX. The mining sector alone has Australian, South African, Brazilian, Chinese, British, American -owned stocks among others (including one company from Papua New Guinea!)

I don't have any great claim to knowledge in the area, but my understanding is that the criteria for listing include financial stuff like assets, revenue/cashflow, working capital, as well as trading record, good standing of directors/executives, etc.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is American. Last time I looked it was in North America.
Big difference, i'm afraid. To say something is American, means it comes from the U.S.A.

(Just as the ROI is part of the "british isles", but you wouldn't call an Irishman a brit)
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:29 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

hmm but if you read back its not been a v friendly thread!
but glad yr allsorted now
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:59 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
hmm but if you read back its not been a v friendly thread!
but glad yr allsorted now
Yes. I am a lover not a fighter. Make love not war. I need some Tim Horton's I have just been out for a few beers! If it was a real Tim Horton's in Leeds I'd go and catch the train right now. Terrible tragedy.
Old May 3rd 2009, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

abcdefg is an unknown quantity at this point

Canada is American? As a Canadian I am clearly offended and that is the most ignorant thing I have heard.
Also hope everyone feels good about splattering a young business mans dreams! Sure it was silly that he copied the sign a bit but it was not intentional. Thanks for kicking the little guy in the balls. Because afterall; someone else opened up a business that looked similar to a large company... I can see how this would ruin your day! MY GOD it's the end of the world!! Thanks again for butting your noses in and causing stress and grief on a complete stranger just for fun!! Congrats!! You are my heroes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.