British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   That time of year again : - ( (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/time-year-again-619575/)

thedignans Jul 12th 2009 12:16 am

That time of year again : - (

Hi there,

I haven't posted for a while but tonight I feel I would just like to talk with people who know what I am going through.
My family have been over visiting for the last two week and we all had a ball. It was so good to see them again but tonight I took them to the airport.
It is so hard saying goodbye again, I am so sad and miss them so much already.
We have a wonderful life here and my kids are really settled I don't want to go home but I just really miss them. It felt so good to have them around, it was just like I had never left, we picked right up were we left off last year.
I suppose I am really lucky that this is the 2nd time they have been over but I just want them around to see my kids grow up.
I feel now they are missing out in having thier family around them, I realise it is all raw right now and tomorrow is another day but I feel really shook up and unhappy right now.
Sorry for depressing you all and thanks for listening.
Julie

ann m Jul 12th 2009 4:01 am

Re: That time of year again : - (

No worries Julie - This was us a couple of weeks ago. Not family - but our first visitors after two years here. Good friends, wonderful 12 days, so easy and relaxing, lots of laughs and then lots of tears dropping them back off at the airport. :o

Makes you feel quite shitty for a day or two to be honest, but you phone or skype them again and everything settles down. In a way, it's also nice that they can see that you are happy in your new home and they can now visualise what on earth you are talking about sometimes!

Totally know where you are coming from. :)

Lorna_D Jul 12th 2009 4:02 am

You won't be normal if you didn't miss them :( as you said you know the feeling will fade, look forward to their next visit - cyber hug for you

The4BellsLondon Jul 12th 2009 5:59 am

I hear you hun - my parents are here for a month - 2 weeks in and already I am worrying bout the airport bit :(

kleinluka Jul 12th 2009 7:56 am

Ah yes, the feeling of homesickness. I've been there. Sometimes when I think about home (Germany) I strangely remember all the good things about it and push away the bad things. Always keep in mind that you left your home country for a good reason. I think your family is mighty proud of you for having done what you did and I'm sure they loved seeing you this happy. It's always hard to say goodbye, and it always makes you second-guess yourself and wonder if you might have done the wrong thing by leaving certain people behind. But at the end of the day, would you really be happier if you were back there? Very hypothetically, but even if you did move back I think you would quickly regret it and realize what you threw away by leaving Canada. It happened to me when I left Canada after 3 years to go to Spain. It seemed like a great idea at the time but I started missing Canada very quickly and knew I had to come back. I realize your circumstances are different than mine and maybe you'd react differently but always remember why you left the UK and remind yourself that things wouldn't be all flowers and butterflies if you moved back there.

Cheers! :)

nikki dreaming Jul 13th 2009 12:52 pm

Hi Julie

We are yet to experience this, but just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and ((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) sent :)

Bellanova Jul 13th 2009 1:33 pm

Thinking of you hun xxxx

mardyarse Jul 13th 2009 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by thedignans (Post 7744208)
Hi there,

I haven't posted for a while but tonight I feel I would just like to talk with people who know what I am going through.
My family have been over visiting for the last two week and we all had a ball. It was so good to see them again but tonight I took them to the airport.
It is so hard saying goodbye again, I am so sad and miss them so much already.
We have a wonderful life here and my kids are really settled I don't want to go home but I just really miss them. It felt so good to have them around, it was just like I had never left, we picked right up were we left off last year.
I suppose I am really lucky that this is the 2nd time they have been over but I just want them around to see my kids grow up.
I feel now they are missing out in having thier family around them, I realise it is all raw right now and tomorrow is another day but I feel really shook up and unhappy right now.
Sorry for depressing you all and thanks for listening.
Julie

Thats not depressing, how could that be depressing. Having a wonderful life in Canada and family that when they visit you love their company and hate it when they leave. Thats utopia surely. The best of everything that life has to offer. Whats depressing is parents who don't want the best for you, don't acknowledge the hardwork you've put in over the years to drag yourself up, unsupportive takers, bad house guests, jealous of your happiness and tight to boot and see your home as their "cheap" holiday destination for a month, now thats depressing!!! :eek:

I have the solution, I'm sending you my parents next year and I'll gladly take yours ha!!:thumbsup:

thedignans Jul 15th 2009 12:08 am

Originally Posted by mardyarse (Post 7748401)
Thats not depressing, how could that be depressing. Having a wonderful life in Canada and family that when they visit you love their company and hate it when they leave. Thats utopia surely. The best of everything that life has to offer. Whats depressing is parents who don't want the best for you, don't acknowledge the hardwork you've put in over the years to drag yourself up, unsupportive takers, bad house guests, jealous of your happiness and tight to boot and see your home as their "cheap" holiday destination for a month, now thats depressing!!! :eek:

I have the solution, I'm sending you my parents next year and I'll gladly take yours ha!!:thumbsup:

LOL:rofl:
I feel bit better now and I think I will keep my own family but thanks for the offer.:)

pthom Jul 15th 2009 12:49 am

I know how you feel. Love to have the visitors, hate to say goodbye. I always find that when I get back home after dropping them off at the airport the house seems so quiet and depressing. The feeling doesn't last too long, just a day usually and then it's back to "normal".
This hasn't changed in over 30 years of living in Canada! I just think it makes me appreciate the family and friends in the UK more, it's always quality time when we see each other.:D

lisadd Jul 15th 2009 2:00 am

Hey there, i understand where your coming from, we have our visitors arriving 20th August and i have already been thinking about the goodbyes! we arrived in March this year and these will be our first lot of visitors, i just want them to tell us we have done the right thing!

We have taken so many photos, walked around the house and garden with the skype camera but no one from the UK has been to see for themselves.

I have been counting down the weeks till they come and i know when they are here times going to go so quick.

Big hugs to you and i do hope you start to feel better. :)

Take care

Lisa dd

dboy Jul 16th 2009 4:59 am

And me. I had 6 of the buggers here in early May, had a great time, as did they. I find it's been getting harder the older I get and that's after 17 years here and 4 in the US.

I've missed the deaths and births of more family members than I care to remember. It sure is a sacrifice leaving family behind - I only hope that people take the time to realize what it really means.