Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Thread to discuss PEI

Thread to discuss PEI

Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:14 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thread to discuss PEI

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
True. I believe that a number of years were spent in Skinners Pond and that is where the Stompin' Tom museum was (now sadly closed down).

PEI does have a great potato museum..which on initial reflection could be construed as an oxymoron.
You broke the thread rule!

You are banned.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
You obviously haven't been there recently. Regular ferry service stopped when the bridge was opened in 1997.
Are you sure? Ive been on the ferry a couple of times since 1997.
Nova Scotia - PEI Schedule - Northumberland Ferries

Unless you are referring to a daily ferry service. Costs $71 for a car plus passengers.

Cows ice cream.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

You broke the thread rule!

You are banned.
Damn..I should have read the full set of rules. Is 1st prize a week in PEI and 2nd prize 2 weeks

Speaking of costs to leave the island, at Christmas time we ended up paying 43 euros for a road tunnel between France and Italy. The sticker shock on that 13 km tunnel was something I wasn't expecting.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

It's home to a rather good seeds/plants mail/internet order establishment.

That's all I've got given thread rule about root vegetables .
Old Jan 13th 2017, 10:20 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's lovely. Summerside is beautiful, with lots of little craft shops and restaurants on a boardwalk. Like you see on old films of the US seaside. Charlottetown is 'the Home of Confederation' and has some very nice architecture, good looking squares with historic homes and a fort - very entertaining to visit. It's very flat, with softly rolling fields and looks a bit like English countryside. It is dreadful in winter with snow drifting all over, they have trucks picking it up and taking it out of Charlottetown. The Confederation Bridge is hugely impressive, and the museum/centre at the end of it well worth a visit. Like everything in Canada PEI is a bit of a faff to get to, but well worth it. I could eat till I'm sick there...seafood of every sort, very yum
Old Jan 13th 2017, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I think it's lovely. Summerside is beautiful, with lots of little craft shops and restaurants on a boardwalk. Like you see on old films of the US seaside. Charlottetown is 'the Home of Confederation' and has some very nice architecture, good looking squares with historic homes and a fort - very entertaining to visit. It's very flat, with softly rolling fields and looks a bit like English countryside. It is dreadful in winter with snow drifting all over, they have trucks picking it up and taking it out of Charlottetown. The Confederation Bridge is hugely impressive, and the museum/centre at the end of it well worth a visit. Like everything in Canada PEI is a bit of a faff to get to, but well worth it. I could eat till I'm sick there...seafood of every sort, very yum
I see 2 references to the C word as outlined in post #1.
I shall let Souvy decide the appropriate punishment.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:11 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I see 2 references to the C word as outlined in post #1.
I shall let Souvy decide the appropriate punishment.
The punishment is two weeks in a log cabin in PEI. In January. With Partially Discharged (numbers could well grow, given the absence of reading skills on this forum).
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
...It is dreadful in winter with snow drifting all over, they have trucks picking it up and taking it out of Charlottetown. ...
Doesn't nearly everywhere in Canada have snow removed by trucks to somewhere out of town?
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Doesn't nearly everywhere in Canada have snow removed by trucks to somewhere out of town?
Around here, yes. Towns even fight about it, sometimes. Especially since legislation stopped "dumping it on the ice up the far end of the lake & waiting for spring".
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:46 am
Slob

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Around here, yes. Towns even fight about it, sometimes. Especially since legislation stopped "dumping it on the ice up the far end of the lake & waiting for spring".
Here too, in places. On my street, the municipal policy seems to be to come round with a backhoe and dump everything on people's front yards. They were here a couple of days ago. I won't be seeing my Bell or Videotron boxes again for a while.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Here too, in places. On my street, the municipal policy seems to be to come round with a backhoe and dump everything on people's front yards. They were here a couple of days ago. I won't be seeing my Bell or Videotron boxes again for a while.
How annoying😡. I have a recording/photos somewhere of a convoy of snow-clearing machinery loading excess snow into trucks to be transported and dumped elsewhere.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 12:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

How annoying😡. I have a recording/photos somewhere of a convoy of snow-clearing machinery loading excess snow into trucks to be transported and dumped elsewhere.
I saw a video of something like that (Montreal, I think) only about a week ago.

Tractor/blower and trucks crawling along side by side and the one behind taking over when the one in front was full.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 12:11 pm
Slob

On the other hand, I was going to have to shift that stuff anyway. It was heavy (mostly ice).

When we were up in St. Augustin recently, I saw a meanest-looking blower ever. The augurs were about six feet wide and there were two of them in a stack. I later saw it in action. Tabernac!
Old Jan 13th 2017, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I saw a video of something like that (Montreal, I think) only about a week ago.

Tractor/blower and trucks crawling along side by side and the one behind taking over when the one in front was full.
Yup.

When we were up in St. Augustin recently, I saw a meanest-looking blower ever. The augurs were about six feet wide and there were two of them in a stack. I later saw it in action. Tabernac!
That's the sort of machinery we're used to around here, Caliss !
Old Jan 13th 2017, 12:48 pm
Slob

Yup.

That's the sort of machinery we're used to around here, Caliss !
I've forgotten where you are these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.