Wikiposts

Thousand Islands

Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thousand Islands

I don't remember seeing this on this board before. Nice powerpoint presentation for a winter day!

http://www.davidburt.co.uk/documents...andIslands.pps
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Thousand Islands

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I don't remember seeing this on this board before. Nice powerpoint presentation for a winter day!

http://www.davidburt.co.uk/documents...andIslands.pps
Wow, I want 1

Rosie
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Absolutely stunning. How wonderful to live somewhere like that, mind you i wouldn't fancy it with my 3 young children.
I noticed the house near the end with the roof in disrepair, i guess it would be hard to get tradesmen to come and give quotes! (not unlike Calgary then)
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Very pretty pictures from that angle, up high.

I presume most of those pads cost a pretty penny ?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

maggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of light

That's where we're going to live!!! It's made my day seeing it here - thank you so much for posting it

Ok, ok, not actually in one of those there houses
, but in Kingston, right at the edge!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:55 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Ahhhh.... brings back memories.

I grew up in Brockville and we used to take the boat down towards all the islands. It's really beautiful through there. Of course to get the best view of it you need to be on a boat or on the international bridge!

Yes, those houses cost a fortune! It's pretty common for the big estates to be passed down generation to generation. There were quite a few pictures of Boldt castle, which is a tourist spot now. I think the photo with the roof missing is from Boldt castle, although I suspect it is an old picture. The place was abandoned for many years until it was turned into a tourist attraction, and it's still getting worked on to this day.

Island life is interesting though. A friend of mind had a small cottage on an island. You'd have to bring your groceries and drinking water out on a boat. Having weekend guests was a bit of a pain too unless they arrived by boat. Same goes for emptying the sewage tanks and getting building supplies.

I remember sitting on our dock (in Brockville) and watching a house float down the river being pulled by a tug boat. It was being relocated and it was a really odd thing to see because you couldn't really see much of a platform for it.

Anyway enough rambling.... I just like to read threads about my neck of the woods. I hope to make it back to the Thousand Islands region someday
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:54 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its a beautiful part of the world, especially in the fall. A millionaires playground. We often take the hours drive from here down to the parkway.

Lots of pictures of Boldt Castle in that slideshow...its actually just a shell, built by the owner of the waldorf astoria in the early 1900s for his wife, who died before it was completed, so it was never finished. It was bought in 1977 for the princely sum of $1, and renovated to the state you see today.

Even the garage is pretty impressive!

Last edited by iaink; Jan 29th 2008 at 1:00 am.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:53 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely slide show Liz. I don't think my savings will cover the cost though.

Do they do 'timeshare'?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:54 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

It all seems rather pretentious to me.

No thanks.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:57 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It all seems rather pretentious to me.

No thanks.
It's the background music.

A little bit of AC/DC 'Hells Bells' would sell it for me.

Oooooo - 'Pretentious'. One's showing one's education now.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:42 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madmac
Oooooo - 'Pretentious'. One's showing one's education now.
Or lack of same.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be realistic, but having young kids on one of those islands would be impossible. You would have to nail their feet to the ground or something - one step and they would be in the water!