Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

think my hushands taking the p*ss

think my hushands taking the p*ss

Old Sep 9th 2006, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: think my hushands taking the p*ss

Originally Posted by bananahammock
This ones $200. I think she may become our regular old pooch next week
OH!!! Happy hound! I hope you get her!!!

I think Mutts are great... Toby's a mutt, and he's ... well... perfect.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 10:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
I agree also. I know a fair few crossbreeds and they are lovely, we've had a few of our own in the past. We now have 4 pedigree dogs who we work and show and after doing years of research into canine physiology etc, what bothers me the most about 'designer dogs' is the potential health issues, from breeding 2 different breeds, bred for different purposes, with different bone structures etc. So sad when you see as many as I do in rescue too.

On a lighter note .......

Dog Boots

We use similar ones for working our dogs in harness, as on hard ground their pads can get worn and crack. There are some really good ones though for winter (insulated) and look quite cool

Surely "designer dogs", or just random dogs that met in the street, will generally be more healthy than pure bred dogs which, inevitably, have a limited gene pool. Hip dysplasia and respitory difficulties are features bred into purebreds which are less common among pound dogs. I can't say that I particularly wanted a crossbreed but I didn't want a lot of vet bills and I didn't want anyone to get bitten, so a mix made sense for us.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to disagree with you, but caring and responsible breeders of purebred registered dogs try to breed inherited things such as hip displasia and heart problems OUT of their breeding not IN.

The people who do a disfavour to responsible breeders are those who breed "purebred" unregistered dogs, because generally they don't care about health or genetics, they just care about money - get two dogs from a pet shop or from the paper and breed them and sell the puppies.

A few years ago a friend of mine wanted a cocker spaniel. I know a lady from the kennel club who had really nice cockers, but she didn't have any puppies at that time. So my friend phoned an ad in the paper and drove out to the country to find her "purebred" puppy. There were several breeds of puppies there - all in a corrugated iron leanto attached to the house. She felt so sorry for them - she bought a puppy!! Within a month, the dog had to have surgery on its teeth - can't remember the problem. It also had surgery on its eyelids because they were all sagging down at the bottom and causing problems. By that time she had spent a fortune on this "purebred" but unregistered dog - a lot more than if she had waited for a good puppy from my friend. The dog died of some kind of liver condition when it was about five.