Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:38 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Had a vasectomy.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:39 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

I would never have
  • removed, moved and replaced an interior wall using not much more than a cordless screwdriver and a circular saw.
  • thought nothing of walking to the local shop in temps below -20
  • coached kids' soccer
  • travelled 3 time zones and still been in the same country
  • owned such an enormous minivan
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
Not the circumcision ?
The donkey expressed no religious preference.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

White water rafting on the Fraser River

Kyaking in the pacific off the coast of Tofino, Van. Island

Kyaking in the Atlantic in Cape Breton

Driven an RV through the Rockies

Whale watching

Seen bears cross the road in front of me

Gone horse riding with my family

Relaxed in hot springs while watching the snow fall on Sulphur mountain

Stood on a glacier and drank the water

Stood on a waterfall
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracys
White water rafting on the Fraser River

Kyaking in the pacific off the coast of Tofino, Van. Island

Kyaking in the Atlantic in Cape Breton

Driven an RV through the Rockies

Whale watching

Seen bears cross the road in front of me

Gone horse riding with my family

Relaxed in hot springs while watching the snow fall on Sulphur mountain

Stood on a glacier and drank the water

Stood on a waterfall

Why wouldn't you go horse riding at home?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
Why wouldn't you go horse riding at home?
Quite expensive to do locally and not something I ever wanted to do really, got bullied into by my family.

I was scared but as I had rafted the Fraser river the day before they didn't understand why I was scared of riding a horse so I gave in and gave it a shot.

I will not be repeating this. As I explained to my family, in a raft you have a degree of control and should be safe if you listen to your instructor and follow orders.

A horse on the other hand has a brain and a personality and sometimes does what it wants!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:37 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoyed life as much as I have done since I got here in 1969 !
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Camp in a tent on a mountain at 5000ft. ------ I wouldn’t dream of camping in the UK.

Climb to a fire lookout on mountain peak that is approximately 7995ft in elevation, sit on the helicopter pad and have a cup of tea------This is from a girl who used to consider walking from Liverpool St. to Bank station a long way, when I lived in London.

Watch the sun set over the ocean on the western most point of Vancouver Island ----- The sun setting from my flat in Finsbury Park wouldn’t have quiet had the same effect.

Spend some 32 days plus per season skiing----- I was lucky if I got 7 days in Europe.

Go hiking in -22 degrees and be knee deep in snow.

Go hiking in +28 degrees and still be knee deep in snow.

Think nothing of going on an 8k run in -14 degree temperatures-------The sun, moon and stars all had to be in correct alignment before I considered setting foot outside for a run in UK.

Wear technical clothing.

Last edited by Mountain Girl; Jan 14th 2010 at 5:49 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

• Pull "doughnuts" in a parking lot.
  • Speak French and English in the same sentence at least three times a day.
  • X-country ski for 2 days and not see a living thing.
  • Eat beaver [tail].
  • Drive for three hours then realise I was going in wrong direction.
  • Swim in a lake 1/3 the size of the UK.
  • Order 2 steamies et 1 une patate frites for $3.25 (taxes inclus.).

Old Jan 14th 2010, 6:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan the piglet
owned 2 houses - rented one out lived in the other
Ditto...except it's a house and the second property is a duplex.

Retired at 47.

Attended a school graduation ceremony.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really nice

Bought and auger and gone Ice Fishing
Worn Bear Bells whilst out hiking and not thought about morris dancing !!!
Spent what seems like half my life in hockey arenas
Lined up behind 20 others to buy a cup of coffee
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:25 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

...."plugged a car in" at a car park.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What is the point of having a pool table in the basement? There's no one there to compete with. Pool tables belong in bars.
Some people have friends.

As for me, what have I done that I probably wouldn't have done outside of Canada? Well, participated in the brewing of maple syrup I suppose.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Jan 14th 2010 at 8:02 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:23 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

...cry yourself to sleep at night as the ever dimming images of family and loved ones fade from your memory.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:33 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
...cry yourself to sleep at night as the ever dimming images of family and loved ones fade from your memory.
See when I lived in the UK I cried myself to sleep that my family was still too close and wouldn't go away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.