Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Things you don't let your kids do......that others may not have a problem with!

Things you don't let your kids do......that others may not have a problem with!

Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things you don't let your kids do......that others may not have a problem with!

Ok,
We had a sleep over for the kids last night. One kid pipes up that he's not allowed to watch lots of TV and then lists off all the programs that are "bad" as his dad is a Baptist Pastor and believes that you shouldn't pollute your mind with things such as Pokemon (wish this was a joke but it's not lol) as the creatures special powers are used for things against what they were given to the creature to use them for. Therefore this is against God's will.........................................

WTF

Now I'm strict in lots of ways but open minded, so was wondering what stuff you guys have ever come across with other peoples kids where they aren't allowed to do normalish stuff?

I know we all parent differently so thought it would be interesting!

Mrs M x
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Things you don't let your kids do......that others may not have a problem with!

I might not be much help, but there were things I also refused to let my son watch...I know he did when he went to his friends. Unless it is illegal, or immoral or they are underage, my house my rules....
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:41 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you don't let your kids do......that others may not have a problem with!

I don't have kids. But anything involving religion, god, spirituality or any other mentalist crap would be banned in my house.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't have kids. But anything involving religion, god, spirituality or any other mentalist crap would be banned in my house.
Ditto - religion has no place in our house. In my parents' house, growing up, certain words were banned. Not just obvious swear words, but "hate", "stupid", etc. If a visiting kid said those, my mother would gently tell them that we don't use that word in our house, so she'd appreciate it they didn't either. Obviously this was when we were little...by the time we were about 11 we could say/do whatever we want

As far as TV/movies, again, it came with age. I do vividly remember watching some movies WITH my parents that I really wish I hadn't - a little too adult (i.e. violent, sexual, etc.) for my little brain!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Woman at work got her grandma to babysit her 2 yr old and 5 year old. Came home and they were watching South Park. Grandma is hard of hearing so had no idea what they were saying and just thought a cartoon was suitable for kids.

Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

My kids are polite, they say "hello" to their friends parent when visiting them, my kids friend just ran past me, ignore me totally.

My daughter just turned 14, I will still read the parents review on movies to see if it is really suitable for her to watch, specially those romantic comedies even though it is a "PG13" movie. Her friends parent just doesn't care, they can watch what ever they want even if the age restriction is like "R".

We don't let our kids walk or go to the park if it is dark that is a no-no
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:40 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Woman at work got her grandma to babysit her 2 yr old and 5 year old. Came home and they were watching South Park. Grandma is hard of hearing so had no idea what they were saying and just thought a cartoon was suitable for kids.

lol that's funny!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:40 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep that's all banned in my house
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't let my kids watch NASCAR.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 7:45 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

We don't let our kids (12 & 13) bitch, whine & tantrum if they don't get their way, turn their noses up at a meal that's just taken me 2 hours to make (or anything that doesn't come out of a packet), drop racist remarks or generally act 1/3rd younger than their actual age...

Many of the locals, apparently, have differing standards & appear to want detestable little pricks for children. Each to their own ....
Old Nov 14th 2010, 7:49 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I wouldn't let my kids watch NASCAR.
Mine are not allowed to watch iced hockey.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
We don't let our kids (12 & 13) bitch, whine & tantrum if they don't get their way, turn their noses up at a meal that's just taken me 2 hours to make (or anything that doesn't come out of a packet), drop racist remarks or generally act 1/3rd younger than their actual age...

Many of the locals, apparently, have differing standards & appear to want detestable little pricks for children. Each to their own ....
I'm so with you on this one, agree 100% with you, same in our home.

Our kids (14 & 12) know if they show any attitudeor no respect, we take away the cell, internet, msn for like a week, thats the worst punishment ever, though they are allowed then to use the landline phone which they refused anyway
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
Mine are not allowed to watch iced hockey.
And they have a choice. They either support Spurs and get to watch the footy downstairs on the big tv with Dad and his mates, get a footy shirt, plus also get to go back to the UK in the Spring and see them play at the Lane. Or if they choose to support some other team they can bugger off up to their bedrooms and watch it on their own, and then have to stay with their Canadian nan who smells like piss, while we all go on holiday.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I lecture my kids friends if they are rude to me! When they phone up asking "can I speak to..." without saying hello or please I come down on them like a ton of bricks!! My kids cringe, don't know why!!!!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:33 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Yep that's all banned in my house
Listen closely to the lyrics.

Last edited by Steve_P; Nov 14th 2010 at 8:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.