British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Things you didn't know but should have done, or are about to find out (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/things-you-didnt-know-but-should-have-done-about-find-out-905703/)

BristolUK Nov 10th 2017 3:50 pm

Things you didn't know but should have done, or are about to find out

I don't know if this will work as a thread but...

Do you ever discover something and wonder how it could have passed you by because you really should have known it?

With me it's usually a music thing, like discovering a rock star was also in a previous well known band. But it could be anything.

Well, today, I discovered The Masked Marauders. I have absolutely no memory of having heard of it (I'll bet Siouxie did though :nod:)

The wiki page

In its October 18, 1969 issue, Rolling Stone ran a tongue-in-cheek review of a non-existent album that purportedly captured a "super session" of the era's leading rock and roll musicians, including Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, John Lennon, and Paul McCartney. The review claimed that none of the artists could be listed on the jacket cover because of contractual agreements with their recording companies. The editors involved decided to extend the joke by hiring a relatively obscure band to record an actual album and then secured a deal with Warner Bros.

So what will others confess to not knowing?

Almost Canadian Nov 10th 2017 4:15 pm

Re: Things you didn't know but should have done, or are about to find out

How Trudeau was able to convince enough people he was more than a guy with nice hair :p

Former Lancastrian Nov 10th 2017 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12379247)
How Trudeau was able to convince enough people he was more than a guy with nice hair :p

How Trump did the same with worse hair;)

jerryhung Nov 10th 2017 7:56 pm

Former Lancastrian

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/52d...s-51717935.jpg

jerryhung Nov 10th 2017 7:57 pm

Vancouver jobs have such low pay & industry is old fashioned :thumbdown:

jerryhung Nov 10th 2017 7:58 pm

87% of Republicans favor Trump - and judging by some forums many Canadians. I'm honestly gobsmacked and feel like I'm in some alternate universe.

Oink Nov 10th 2017 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 12379397)
87% of Republicans favor Trump - and judging by some forums many Canadians. I'm honestly gobsmacked and feel like I'm in some alternate universe.

They identify with his redneckiness and all want to be rich like him.

scilly Nov 10th 2017 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 12379397)

people forget, or don't realise, how many Americans are truly redneck and racist. Not all of course, but a very significant number.

Remember how they treated Obama .......... extremely racist, how dare he beat a white man.

Hillary never had a chance because she was a woman, ignoring all the other things against her.

Shard Nov 10th 2017 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12379463)

Hillary never had a chance because she was a woman, ignoring all the other things against her.

She never had a chance? She practically won, and she did win the popular vote. Nothing to do with being a woman.

scilly Nov 11th 2017 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12379496)
She never had a chance? She practically won, and she did win the popular vote. Nothing to do with being a woman.

She would have been subject to as much abuse as Obama received throughout his two terms, albeit of a different nature .... sexist vs racist.

Unlike other countries, the US is still not ready for anyone other than a white man to lead the country, largely because so may of them don't seem to believe that anyone other than a white man is capable of governing.

Old Boys Club United!

carcajou Nov 11th 2017 3:34 am

people forget, or don't realise, how many Americans are truly redneck and racist. Not all of course, but a very significant number.

Remember how they treated Obama .......... extremely racist, how dare he beat a white man.

I definitely remember how they treated Obama. They elected him, twice, and both times by the greatest margins of any Democrat in 40 years. 70 years if you exclude Johnson in 1964.

I suspect you are bored and just trolling.

jerryhung Nov 11th 2017 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12379428)
They identify with his redneckiness and all want to be rich like him.

Yes actually you could be right on that Oink.

I once knew a woman (20s) who told me that one of her greatest wishes was to live in the Trump Tower. This is before all the political hoo-ha. I said to her, why would you want to live there? What is it that you look up to with people like this? I found it a very odd ambition.

Anyway, it was clear to me that she genuinely looked up to the Trumps - presumably because they were/are apparently wealthy.

I have never really understand that mentality but seeing comments from his supporters, they think of him as skilful/admirable for being rich "he must be smart". I presume this is because and it could be my own arrogance, that they are so far removed from wealth that they imagine he actually has any strength to have inherited his father's wealth - and that wealth is any measure of skill/strength/intelligence/class. And they likewise don't understand what class/education/skills means in a business sense.

And yes, I think that many love most is his anger/rage channeling - immigrants, rich, poor, brown, yellow, etc

The "funny" thing is he does play to his base a lot ("I love the police" "I love our military" "Drain the swamp" "Lock her up") and it looks so exceedingly transparent to me but I have to admit IT WORKS.

This loser is actually the President of the United States of America -- oh well, it genuinely shocked/s me still.

jerryhung Nov 11th 2017 4:04 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12379618)
I definitely remember how they treated Obama. They elected him, twice, and both times by the greatest margins of any Democrat in 40 years. 70 years if you exclude Johnson in 1964.

I suspect you are bored and just trolling.

Disagreeing with you does not equal to trolling. Newsflash.

jerryhung Nov 11th 2017 4:06 am

Yes they were very spiteful and hateful to him. I am genuinely gobsmacked at how he retained his dignity, class and civility in the face of such visceral hate and lies/demonization against him.

I do/did forget, and I think I don't like to realize that 48% of them are like that.

I have to put the blame at the feet of Fox News as well though - reading Fox is like living in an alternate world where the world is scary, and up is down.

carcajou Nov 11th 2017 4:15 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 12379636)
Disagreeing with you does not equal to trolling. Newsflash.

Awesome, thank you, and thanks for correcting me - I didn't realise that Obama didn't actually win, or by those margins.

Thanks again for your special, special contribution to the thread.