Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Things that make you feel old

Things that make you feel old

Old Mar 22nd 2018, 3:06 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that make you feel old

Being diagnosed with heart failure.
I've known for a long time it was the going to be the outcome of my coronary artery disease.
However it really smacks you between the eyes when you actually get told you are there.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 3:41 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I always think heart failure is an overly dramatic phrase, if my anatomy is right that means you are dead, I have it too but I’m told it just means my pumps at 80% efficiency which my cardio man says isn’t an issue ever but life can be extended further by careful exercise monitoring and a few pills. Mine was caused by a virus which is unfortunate but I’m again told if I was a smoker instead I would be worse off.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 8:12 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
Being diagnosed with heart failure.
I've known for a long time it was the going to be the outcome of my coronary artery disease.
However it really smacks you between the eyes when you actually get told you are there.
Sorry to hear things ain't great Steve. Hope you can enjoy day to day life though, even if it means taking everything easy.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 1:15 pm

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Sorry to hear things ain't great Steve. Hope you can enjoy day to day life though, even if it means taking everything easy.
Thanks Jings. It's early days as yet so I'm not sure where I fit on the continuum. Life has very much slowed down, having difficulty walking more than a block or so.
However I'm still here looking at the green side of the grass as it were not up at the roots.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 1:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jings. It's early days as yet so I'm not sure where I fit on the continuum. Life has very much slowed down, having difficulty walking more than a block or so.
Oh my, good luck. I hope you can adjust and be happy at a slower pace.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
I always think heart failure is an overly dramatic phrase, if my anatomy is right that means you are dead, I have it too but I’m told it just means my pumps at 80% efficiency which my cardio man says isn’t an issue ever but life can be extended further by careful exercise monitoring and a few pills. Mine was caused by a virus which is unfortunate but I’m again told if I was a smoker instead I would be worse off.
Perhaps I should have been more specific. I have congestive heart failure.

I'm sorry to hear your heart was attacked by a virus but happy to hear that it only affected 20% of its efficiency.

I suggest you research life expectancy for CHF patients before you say it's an overly dramatic phrase. For most with that diagnosis you're right it doesn't mean they're dead, but it means they will be in ten years or less, mostly less.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 2:36 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear your heart was attacked by a virus but happy to hear that it only affected 20% of its efficiency.

I suggest you research life expectancy for CHF patients before you say it's an overly dramatic phrase. For most with that diagnosis you're right it doesn't mean they're dead, but it means they will be in ten years or less, mostly less.
Bloody hell, Hangman! You don't have much luck with your health, do you?

I take personal responsibility for the CHF. I should never have told you about Balderson cheddar.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh my, good luck. I hope you can adjust and be happy at a slower pace.
Originally Posted by Souvy
Bloody hell, Hangman! You don't have much luck with your health, do you?

I take personal responsibility for the CHF. I should never have told you about Balderson cheddar.
Thank you both for the thoughts.

It has been quite the roller coaster ride for the last twenty-one and a half years. However if it weren't for good surgeons and cardiologists I'd have checked out back in 1996 or at least some point in between. So in a sense it has been a pretty good run. I'm sure I've got a few years yet so it's just one day at a time from now on.

Hangman, that's going back a ways good for you for remembering. Ah yes Balderson's. I'll tell my cardiogist it's all your fault

Steve
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 4:49 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

As with many things, the massive buying power of the retailers has forced even the name manufacturers to produce cut-price products.

Levis do their "signature" range for wal-mart. I recall them being under $20; they don't have that red tab that real levi's have.

Thing is, I actually prefer my walmart cheapo levi's for comfort & practicality over the real thing (I think mine are 512s. As a beer drinking man, 501s and button flies are not a practical solution).

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Yes, Wranglers are dirt cheap here, as low as $17.99

You can get Levi's cheaper, it just depends on the cut.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/clothing-s...N-2067+1000340

https://www.walmart.ca/en/clothing-s...N-2067+1275523

Old Mar 23rd 2018, 6:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear that you are suffering with CHF, several members of my family have / have had it and you are right, unless there's an intervention possible medically which can extend things, life expectancy isn't that great.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things to stretch it out - long may it last!

Old Mar 23rd 2018, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

My wife, a very youthful looking and acting 55 year old (I'm 53) was at Shoppers Drug Mart yesterday when it was 20% off for all seniors. She asked what the minimum age was for the seniors discount and was told 50. Yikes, that does make me feel old although I'm the oldest guy on my 'old timers' football team (must be over 35).
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 7:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
...Shoppers Drug Mart yesterday when it was 20% off for all seniors. She asked what the minimum age was for the seniors discount and was told 50.
Every time I check, it's 65 here. I think where Bats is it's lower.

I just checked again and it still said 65 on a page that included several provinces. A couple of non shoppers sites (including Globe and Mail) suggest it might even vary by individual store not just province.

But Lawtons pharmacy (significantly cheaper than Shoppers anyway) has 55+ and I've been benefiting from that a good few years. Every week too

Feeling old is when they do it without being prompted and you're only just old enough.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
My wife, a very youthful looking and acting 55 year old (I'm 53) was at Shoppers Drug Mart yesterday when it was 20% off for all seniors. She asked what the minimum age was for the seniors discount and was told 50. Yikes, that does make me feel old although I'm the oldest guy on my 'old timers' football team (must be over 35).
This post has significantly improved my weekend. Clearing receipts out of the car today I noticed that I had been given the seniors discount onThursday. I have been all day.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:27 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
A school classmate of mine has just posted on Facebook that the goalkeeper of the football team we used to go and watch each week has turned 70 years old.
70 isn't old, well at least too me

I feel young young compared to my 98 year old about to turn 99 FIL who continues to tell me 'you are young & don't know what its like to feel old'

The day he pops his clogs, that's the day I will feel old

side note 55 years ago this week when I was age 16 the Beatles released 'Please Please Me'
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:55 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

sdv
Originally Posted by BristolUK
Every time I check, it's 65 here. I think where Bats is it's lower.

I just checked again and it still said 65 on a page that included several provinces. A couple of non shoppers sites (including Globe and Mail) suggest it might even vary by individual store not just province.

But Lawtons pharmacy (significantly cheaper than Shoppers anyway) has 55+ and I've been benefiting from that a good few years. Every week too

Feeling old is when they do it without being prompted and you're only just old enough.
Yep, 55 at Shoppers and at least one store has senior day every Thursday and not just the last in the month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.