Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Things that go bite in the night

Things that go bite in the night

Old Jun 30th 2008, 6:58 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things that go bite in the night

After being here 7 months and pretty much getting through what life has to throw at me, I thought that I could tackle everything.

Oh no

My entire body is covered in so many bumps that if a blind person got hold of me they could braille read the entire works of Shakespear, War and Peace and a couple of volumes of the encyclopedia Brittanica to boot.

To all those not yet here - do not underestimate the power of the mosquito. There are also biting bugs called no-see-ums - wtf can't even swat something you don't know is there. They itch and weep something cronic and I will be glad for the fall!

So my resolve is the next mossie that lands on me I am going to bite to see how he likes it (thats a joke btw but its how I feel) and to use all 4 cans of spray cream and lotion that I bought a half hour ago at regular intervals.

Joking aside these things are awful - do come prepared!!!!!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:02 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that go bite in the night

Hi Mandy, have you ever tried Avon Skin-so-soft dry oil spray...get the one with the blue lid....everything bites me in Canada...even the bloody ants,...so if you can get hold of this stuff it's great....They seem to hate it

FK...............x
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
After being here 7 months and pretty much getting through what life has to throw at me, I thought that I could tackle everything.

Oh no

My entire body is covered in so many bumps that if a blind person got hold of me they could braille read the entire works of Shakespear, War and Peace and a couple of volumes of the encyclopedia Brittanica to boot.

To all those not yet here - do not underestimate the power of the mosquito. There are also biting bugs called no-see-ums - wtf can't even swat something you don't know is there. They itch and weep something cronic and I will be glad for the fall!

So my resolve is the next mossie that lands on me I am going to bite to see how he likes it (thats a joke btw but its how I feel) and to use all 4 cans of spray cream and lotion that I bought a half hour ago at regular intervals.

You can buy some stuff called Solarcaine that has Lidocaine in it, along with soothing things. Its the best stuff we have found. It terrible this year, I read that even the deer and moose can't stand it and are heading out onto the roads.

we have scalped our lawn to try and keep the bug***s down, and cut back trees and hedges, but they are out there!! We only have mossies and black fly, no no see ums, so I guess we are lucky....
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:52 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.labservices.uoguelph.ca/l...itoControl.pdf

The mosquitoes are just miserable this year. Our skeeter-vac is barely making a dent, although its keeping the immediate area of the backyard where the kids swings are more or less habitable. Ive even been out spraying methoxychlor around our yard to try and reclaim it. The little bastards are driving me nuts. Even if the pesticide doesn't do a lot, at least I feel like I am fighting back.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 30th 2008 at 7:56 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

I got bitten by something the other night and the bite is quite small but an area around two inches in diameter is swollen and red...ouch!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:58 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you're planning to live - no nasty biting critters here
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
I got bitten by something the other night and the bite is quite small but an area around two inches in diameter is swollen and red...ouch!
one bite?? just one bite??

try 30 or so

Its really horrid, you just go out the door and get bitten walking to the car. Evil bastards
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
one bite?? just one bite??

try 30 or so

Its really horrid, you just go out the door and get bitten walking to the car. Evil bastards
Oh I know....I've been lucky...just bit taken aback by one bit swelling up so much - it's huge!

I got attacked in Scotland one year....like a fog of mozzies....eeeuuuw. You have my sympathies.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:33 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

This one FK:
http://shop.avon.ca/avonshop_en/defa...oduct_list.asp

assume its the same ingredient base as the uk version . .?

heres the uk one:
http://avonshop.co.uk/shop/product.a...ry=1&pagenum=1

Last edited by The4BellsLondon; Jun 30th 2008 at 9:39 pm. Reason: uk link added.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:46 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Before you go spending a fortune on avon stuff, and, not wanting to dismiss personal anecdotes of success, there have been proper scientific studies done, and its good for about 10-15 minutes only...

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IN419

Products

Active Ingredient

Average Complete Protection Time

OFF! Deep Woods

23.8% DEET

5 hours

Sawyer Controlled Release

20% DEET

4 hours

OFF! Skintastic

6.65% DEET

2 hours

Repel Lemon Eucalyptus

Insect Repellent

Oil of lemon eucalyptus; p-menthane 3,8-diol (PMD)

2 hours

Bite Blocker for Kids

2% Soybean Oil

1.5 hours

OFF! Skintastic for Kids

4.75% DEET

1.5 hours

Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus

7.5% IR3535

23 minutes

Natrapel

10% Citronella

20 minutes

Herbal Armor

12% Citronella; 2.5% peppermint oil; 2% cedar oil; 1% lemongrass oil; 0.05% geranium oil

19 minutes

Green Ban for People

10% Citronella; 2% peppermint oil

14 minutes

Buzz Away

5% Citronella

14 minutes

Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard

0.1% Citronella

10 minutes

Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil

Active Ingredient not known

10 minutes

Skin-So-Soft Moisturizing Suncare

0.05% Citronella

3 minutes

Gone Original Wristband

9.5% DEET

Repello Wristband

9.5% DEET

Gone Plus Repelling Wristband

25% Citronella

If you really dont want to get bitten, then DEET is the way to go. I dont want my little kids to stick deeted hands in mouth, so we buy Bite blocker from the US by mail order just for them.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no

Janet is so with you on this. She is getting bitten to death. And every single one of them flares up. She was reading here...
http://www.drgreene.com/21_38.html
...sbout taking vitamin b1 to see if that will help but we want to do a bit more research on that first to make sure we are not curing one problem and causing another. The same site talks about the use of cool compresses and certainly, Janet was finding that quite helpful in reducing the need to scratch.

Me?...I get a couple of bites here and there and generally speaking, they do not flare up anything like Janet's, so it is proving bearable for me.

Eamonn
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:51 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Iaink - luckily I dont usually get many bites - they go for my mum or daughter - so wehn we shift over shall stock up on the stuff you have recommended!

I think the avon stuff happens to work a bit over in uk where the mossies dont have the killer instinct!!

Last edited by The4BellsLondon; Jun 30th 2008 at 9:52 pm. Reason: spelt name wrong - soz
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Getting There
Janet is so with you on this. She is getting bitten to death. And every single one of them flares up. She was reading here...
...sbout taking vitamin b1 to see if that will help but we want to do a bit more research on that first to make sure we are not curing one problem and causing another. The same site talks about the use of cool compresses and certainly, Janet was finding that quite helpful in reducing the need to scratch.

Me?...I get a couple of bites here and there and generally speaking, they do not flare up anything like Janet's, so it is proving bearable for me.

Eamonn
Picking up on iaink's helpful post, we can certainly agree that the following is pretty effective...we just hate spraying poison all over ourselves!

OFF! Deep Woods
23.8% DEET
5 hours

Eamonn & Janet
Old Jun 30th 2008, 11:04 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Getting There
...sbout taking vitamin b1 to see if that will help
Vit B1, Thiamine ..... isn't that in Marmite? Maybe we should eat more Marmite, or simply apply it externally ......

Can I buy Marmite in Canada?
Old Jun 30th 2008, 11:09 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

yep some of the ones i've bought today are the deet ones - didn't go for the deep woods one, wished i'd have known. But the Off brands that I bought, one has 15% deet and the other 10%.

Woohoo by my reckoning if I put em both on that adds up to 25% (again thats a joke).

Poor Mr MMC suggested a walk last night as it was so hot, we got to the end of the road and had to run home, he got bitten over 25 times in 5 mins - they just love him.

I know what you mean about spraying yourself with poison but there comes a time where you would spray yourself with neat diesel fuel if it did the trick.

And Carrie - the English mossies may not love you, but these guys out here show no mercy - to coin a Daft Batty phrase

"The little bastards"

Last edited by mandymoochops; Jun 30th 2008 at 11:11 pm. Reason: because I added 10 and 15 and got 22 - help they're eating my brain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.