British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Theft and stealing in Canada Post (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/theft-stealing-canada-post-923038/)

Hurlabrick Mar 8th 2019 6:49 pm

Theft and stealing in Canada Post

Is it just me, or is theft and stealing from 'promising' looking packages and parcels (often Amazon ones) widespread in Canada Post?

We have had two obvious thefts now (packaging slashed and completely empty) and two 'nibbles' (envelopes with 'accidentally torn' corners, but torn enough so someone could look inside to see if it was worth pinching. I don't recall this level of theft with Royal Mail.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 8th 2019 7:02 pm

Re: Theft and stealing in Canada Post

I have never noticed this with Canada Post, but very few of my Amazon orders come by Canada Post, most of the time its Amazon's courier or UPS. I do have one coming next week via CP though.

Report it to your local post office, might be a local or regional issue if its happening often with you.

Allie73 Mar 8th 2019 7:13 pm

When I was in the UK, I had an ebay shop and I had to stop shipping to Canada. Stuff because stuff was always going missing. The tracking would see the packages make it to Canda, scanned by Canada Post then disappear. I'd get the money back eventually, but it was such a hassle, it just wasn't worth it. Over a couple of years, at least 8 packages went missing. It only happened once with something I shipped within the UK. I never bothered re-opening the ebay shop when I moved here because of this.

Hurlabrick Mar 8th 2019 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12650326)
Report it to your local post office, might be a local or regional issue if its happening often with you.

The two 'slashed and empty' packages were both delivered to CanadaPost office in Manotick (we didn't have community mailboxes, so HAD to have a PO Box number in the local office), it was them that spotted it and apologised and reported themselves!

Former Lancastrian Mar 8th 2019 8:55 pm

This also goes on at Fedex, UPS, DHL and others normally during offloads of vehicles/planes before it is scanned into their warehouse.

CanadaJimmy Mar 8th 2019 8:56 pm

Yep, been a widespread issue for a long time. I think it's why Canada Post charge $9 for tracking, making it standard (as the US Postal Service does) would reveal how widespread package theft and loss is in their company. I disagree that UPS/DHL/etc. have the same levels of theft and loss as CanadaPost.

Former Lancastrian Mar 8th 2019 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 12650375)
Yep, been a widespread issue for a long time. I think it's why Canada Post charge $9 for tracking, making it standard (as the US Postal Service does) would reveal how widespread package theft and loss is in their company. I disagree that UPS/DHL/etc. have the same levels of theft and loss as CanadaPost.

Who has said they have more or the same level of theft?

Pollyana Mar 8th 2019 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Allie73 (Post 12650329)
When I was in the UK, I had an ebay shop and I had to stop shipping to Canada. Stuff because stuff was always going missing. The tracking would see the packages make it to Canda, scanned by Canada Post then disappear. I'd get the money back eventually, but it was such a hassle, it just wasn't worth it. Over a couple of years, at least 8 packages went missing. It only happened once with something I shipped within the UK. I never bothered re-opening the ebay shop when I moved here because of this.

I have an ebay store (australia based) and sell worldwide and I hate having to post to Canada. Every order ends up with a query because they take so long - 2 months is quick, and the amount of refunds owing to total non delivery is crazy. I'm considering blocking Canada now because of it. Whether items are being stolen or just lost I don't know, but they rarely arrive. Its not high value stuff either, toys, second hand books, used cds etc.