Thank you Canadians.

Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thank you Canadians.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Pulling out of Kyoto did damage Canada's reputation. The international press coverage was generally negative and I expect a few diplomats will have expressed their disappointment.

There will be no tangible consequences to this though; disappointment isn't going to translate into action.
It did last time, see previous link.

This time I'd fully expect the EU to categorize oil sand product as "dirty oil" and penalize all European companies for buying it.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It did last time, see previous link.

This time I'd fully expect the EU to categorize oil sand product as "dirty oil" and penalize all European companies for buying it.
How much Canadian oil does the EU use (genuine question - I don't actually know)? If the US did that then there really would be a big impact.

I have to confess that I don't really understand the oil sands; they just seem to be there to convert a relatively clean energy source into a dirty one and mess the place up in the process.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:42 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Lord Vader said:

What odds are you giving? Current measures put in place will only achieve 25% of the target reduction (see here)
I'll give you huge odds.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:43 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much everybody. I know you'd prefer to forget / ignore this, but ....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1753222/

...and that was after Canada's atrocious behaviour in Copenhagen. You can add
Durban and the contemptuous withdrawal from the Kyoto Treaty to the list.

(Not to mention the Oil Sands).
Why would people hate the Oil sands as opposed to Middle East Oil or North Sea Oil? propaganda no? Whenever someone wants to pull sway to their dirty oil sands cause, why do they always show a mine?

Last edited by Lord Vader; Dec 21st 2011 at 9:47 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

How much Canadian oil does the EU use (genuine question - I don't actually know)? If the US did that then there really would be a big impact.
If the EU does it, the pressure in the US (already strong) to do the same, would be greatly increased. Agreed, the outcome depends on next Novembers election.

I have to confess that I don't really understand the oil sands; they just seem to be there to convert a relatively clean energy source into a dirty one and mess the place up in the process.
Nicely put. I may have mentioned EROEI before?
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:46 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Why would people hate the Oil sands as opposed to Middle East Oil or North Sea Oil? propaganda no?
Because of the EROEI and the environmental impact of getting said oil. The Saudi's just have to stick a pipe in the sand and out it comes.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:48 pm

Nicely put. I may have mentioned EROEI before?
Yeah. I thought the oil sands were close(ish) to 1:1 - but I'm not sure of the actual number. I guess I could google it...
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:51 pm
Born again atheist

Why would people hate the Oil sands as opposed to Middle East Oil or North Sea Oil? propaganda no? Whenever someone wants to pull sawy with the oil sands why do they always show a mine?
Because when you look at the energy accounting for the whole process, it's a rubbish resource. Much more money and other benefits could be achieved by investing in renewables and conservation instead.

Everybody knows this but the present Canadian (and one or three provincial governments) are in thrall to (mostly foreign) oil companies. "In thrall" is putting it kindly, "have been bought by" is nearer the mark.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:55 pm
Born again atheist

Yeah. I thought the oil sands were close(ish) to 1:1 - but I'm not sure of the actual number. I guess I could google it...
Google (and better sources) will confirm that you're about right. It's most likely nearer 1.5, but even that doesn't include the costs of water remediation, air pollution, negative population health outcomes, ecological disruption etc.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:56 pm

Google (and better sources) will confirm that you're about right. It's most likely nearer 1.5, but even that doesn't include the costs of water remediation, air pollution, negative population health outcomes, ecological disruption etc.
Yeah, the internet says somewhere in the range of 1.5 and 5 depending on how you measure it.

(Edit: The oil drum is where I looked
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/3839

And this table:
http://www.theoildrum.com/files/Tas_...EROI-Table.PNG)

Last edited by Alan2005; Dec 21st 2011 at 9:59 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 10:08 pm
Born again atheist

Yeah, the internet says somewhere in the range of 1.5 and 5 depending on how you measure it.

And this table:
Good googling. It's a tricky calculation (well, it's not but there are uncertainties on the input side). The EU have accepted a very modest figure that oil sand utilization produces 22% more CO2/energy output unit than conventional. I think that's low but its enough anyway to have them classify it as "dirty".
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

The Canada Pension Plan will be privatized. (not quite yet, but the seeds are sown).
I heard something about them selling the Pension plan to banks but I was unable to find any articles, if anyone has anything on this I'd be really interested to read it.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:23 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I heard something about them selling the Pension plan to banks but I was unable to find any articles, if anyone has anything on this I'd be really interested to read it.
Not quite that. But this...

http://www.fin.gc.ca/n11/11-134-eng.asp

This is Flaherty's very own propaganda site, but you'll get the drift.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 2:14 am
BE Troll

Because of the EROEI and the environmental impact of getting said oil. The Saudi's just have to stick a pipe in the sand and out it comes.
Because when you look at the energy accounting for the whole process, it's a rubbish resource. Much more money and other benefits could be achieved by investing in renewables and conservation instead.

Everybody knows this but the present Canadian (and one or three provincial governments) are in thrall to (mostly foreign) oil companies. "In thrall" is putting it kindly, "have been bought by" is nearer the mark.

And this table:
Your link, (which I was going to post btw) also states that it is viable. It is also extremely likely that the EROI will improve as production increases and more recent extraction methods are used.

Not quite that. But this...

http://www.fin.gc.ca/n11/11-134-eng.asp

This is Flaherty's very own propaganda site, but you'll get the drift.
So what do you see wrong with this Novo?
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 5:19 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

who despises the country now that didn't already? .
How about "those that were left"........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.