Thank you Canadians.

Old Dec 20th 2011, 11:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thank you Canadians.

I posted this the day after Harper got his majority...

In 4 years there will be no public funding of election campaigns. (done)

The CBC will be privatized and sold to Rupert Murdoch at a knock down price. (not yet, there's time)

Unions will have their collective bargaining rights removed or curtailed. (working on it)

Health care transfers will be decimated and hospitals will be privatized. (in the pipeline after yesterday)

Canada will be an international pariah on environmental issues and foreign affairs. (done and dusted)

The Canada Pension Plan will be privatized. (not quite yet, but the seeds are sown).

Reflect and weep.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 11:55 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thank you Canadians.

Democracy is a bitch isnt it?!

(Not all of the things on your list are to be feared...)
Old Dec 21st 2011, 2:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Democracy is a bitch isnt it?!

(Not all of the things on your list are to be feared...)
Feared? No. Disapproved of? Yes.

I'm guessing, given your corporate lackey role, you'd go for the collective bargaining rights first?
Old Dec 21st 2011, 2:19 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

The CBC will be privatized and sold to Rupert Murdoch at a knock down price. (not yet, there's time)

Unions will have their collective bargaining rights removed or curtailed. (working on it)

Health care transfers will be decimated and hospitals will be privatized. (in the pipeline after yesterday)

Canada will be an international pariah on environmental issues and foreign affairs. (done and dusted)

The Canada Pension Plan will be privatized. (not quite yet, but the seeds are sown).

Reflect and weep.
Some good good moves there, but "Health care transfer will be decimated?" and "the Canada pension plan will be privatized?" and environmental pariah? WTF are you talking about?
Old Dec 21st 2011, 2:28 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
All good moves, but "Health care transfer will be decimated?" and "the Canada pension plan will be privatized?" and environmental pariah? WTF are you talking about?
That Flattery announced by fiat a health transfer payment scenario, without any consultation with the Provinces, which basically said that the feds are getting out of enforcing the Canada Health Act.

Then there was the voluntary Provincial pension schemes which won't work but will divert funding from the CPP.

"Environmental pariah"? I can't believe you're stupid enough to ask about that.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Dec 21st 2011 at 2:30 am.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 3:28 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

That Flattery announced by fiat a health transfer payment scenario, without any consultation with the Provinces, which basically said that the feds are getting out of enforcing the Canada Health Act.

Then there was the voluntary Provincial pension schemes which won't work but will divert funding from the CPP.

"Environmental pariah"? I can't believe you're stupid enough to ask about that.
A) they are talking about a reduction in the percentage of increases to the existing health care transfers, still funding, still increasing, just not as fast.

B) Voluntary you say? Can't have that now can we. Who do the cons think they are? But they won't work?

C) I can't believe you are stupid enough to call me stupid when my stance is based on logic and yours on emotion. The liberals sign something and do nothing about it (except name their pets) for a decade and then the cons get the blame as the targets will not be met? I bet the cons will met their commitment of actually lowering the C02 emissions by 17% of 2005 levels (they took office in Jan 2006) by 2020. They could have stayed with Kyoto and sent away money and still missed targets, but that would have been stupid, something the left would have done.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Dec 21st 2011 at 3:30 am.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

C) I can't believe you are stupid enough to call me stupid when my stance is based on logic and yours on emotion. The liberals sign something and do nothing about it (except name their pets) for a decade and then the cons get the blame as the targets will not be met? I bet the cons will met their commitment of actually lowering the C02 emissions by 17% of 2005 levels (they took office in Jan 2006) by 2020. They could have stayed with Kyoto and sent away money and still missed targets, but that would have been stupid, something the left would have done.
Pariah status is about what people think of a country. Harper has made Canada seem like a nation that disregards the environment for the sake of the profits of foreign (to Canada) oil companies. Apart from announcing a renewed seal clubbing effort or appearing naked in public it's hard to see how he could have more effectively damaged Canada's reputation.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:31 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Feared? No. Disapproved of? Yes.

I'm guessing, given your corporate lackey role, you'd go for the collective bargaining rights first?
Certainly. But primarily for public employees rather than those employed by the rapacious corporate monoliths.

Originally Posted by dbd33
Pariah status is about what people think of a country. Harper has made Canada seem like a nation that disregards the environment for the sake of the profits of foreign (to Canada) oil companies. Apart from announcing a renewed seal clubbing effort or appearing naked in public it's hard to see how he could have more effectively damaged Canada's reputation.
And there's the rub. The former govt may have done phuq all to achieve their Kyoto targets but withdrawing completely just sends out the wrong kind of message. Environmental leadership is not on the Canadian govt agenda. And that's a missed opportunity.

Anyway, I love all this ranting about what a dreadful govt we have. Democracy worked. A party was elected in majority. If you want to blame someone for that, blame the Liberal party for self destructing and Saint Jack of Layton for splitting the leftwing vote but not gaining enough to be useful in any way. Give it some time and the pendulum will swing the other way & the right wing equivalent of Novo (The Sith Lord perhaps...) will be lamenting the idiocy of Canadians for a Liberal Govt. Plus ca change.

Still, At least I can vote now. That'll be a force for political change in the country. Not.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
And there's the rub. The former govt may have done phuq all to achieve their Kyoto targets but withdrawing completely just sends out the wrong kind of message. Environmental leadership is not on the Canadian govt agenda. And that's a missed opportunity.
Well quite. I'm not arguing policy here, just suggesting that Harper is a public relations disaster. Novo is substantially correct in his pariah claim and this may be thought a harsher criticism of Harper if we accept that he hasn't really done anything on this front yet still managed to get the country despised. It might be a diplomatic own goal, if that's what it's called in iced hockey.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 7:15 pm
BE Troll

who despises the country now that didn't already? Would we have stayed loved if we sent someone a bunch of money? Money can't buy you love.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:05 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Reflect and weep.

Are you psychic?
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:14 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Lord Vader said:

I bet the cons will met their commitment of actually lowering the C02 emissions by 17% of 2005 levels (they took office in Jan 2006) by 2020. They could have stayed with Kyoto and sent away money and still missed targets, but that would have been stupid, something the left would have done.
What odds are you giving? Current measures put in place will only achieve 25% of the target reduction (see here)
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:17 pm
Born again atheist

who despises the country now that didn't already?
Pretty much everybody. I know you'd prefer to forget / ignore this, but ....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1753222/

...and that was after Canada's atrocious behaviour in Copenhagen. You can add
Durban and the contemptuous withdrawal from the Kyoto Treaty to the list.

(Not to mention the Oil Sands).
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Most agree with, but why 'foreign affairs' generally? Environmental issues, done and dusted - I completely agree. A PR disaster for Canada. However, I struggle to see where Canada scores lower than any other Western nation on foreign affairs in a more general sense.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

who despises the country now that didn't already? Would we have stayed loved if we sent someone a bunch of money? Money can't buy you love.
Pulling out of Kyoto did damage Canada's reputation. The international press coverage was generally negative and I expect a few diplomats will have expressed their disappointment.

There will be no tangible consequences to this though; disappointment isn't going to translate into action.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.