Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Terrorist to get 10.5m reward

Terrorist to get 10.5m reward

Old Jul 7th 2017, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrorist to get 10.5m reward

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I think it matters very little whether you or I think that. If it's what the terrorists believe, that's the perception we need to change.
So how are "we" to achieve that?
Old Jul 7th 2017, 4:15 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Pathetic! But no more than can be expected from Ottawa these days. Both sickened and embarrassed to be Canadian today.
What do you think of the $10.5 million pad it Maher Arar in 2007?

Originally Posted by caretaker
If they hadn't wanted the prisoner to interrogate, they could have finished him off right there, but they didn't. If they hadn't put him in Guantanamo and tortured him, he wouldn't have been in the news for more than a day and wouldn't have a case.
Compensation for illegal treatment in custody or unlawful imprisonment has been determined. We don't have to like the law, just obey it. If we feel wronged in this case maybe we should sue the CIA for running Guantanamo.
According to Wikipedia he was going to be finished off but Delta Force members said not to.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Straight from the horse's mouth: Supreme Court's 2010 Khadr ruling

It appears that the Canadians should not have released the information they obtained to the US authorities. I was surprised that the Supreme Court did not order his repatriation to Canada.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
What do you think of the $10.5 million pad it Maher Arar in 2007?
Not a lot!
Old Jul 7th 2017, 9:29 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Not a lot!
so " these days" started way back then?
Old Jul 7th 2017, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
so " these days" started way back then?
I've long believed that Canada is liberal/Politically Correct to the point of absurdity. This decision simply reinforces that belief.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So how are "we" to achieve that?
That's now something 'we' as individuals have any influence on. But 'we' as in governments and the media are responsible for much of the actions and attitudes of the public in both camps.

Not a lot!
How much do you think a Canadian national falsely taken from an airport and flown to a prison where he was beaten and tortured for a year should get?

How would you feel if it was you?

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jul 7th 2017 at 10:21 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I've long believed that Canada is liberal/Politically Correct to the point of absurdity. This decision simply reinforces that belief.
Highway 401 goes past Toronto-Pearson.

No-one's forcing you to stay here...........
Old Jul 7th 2017, 10:23 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

That's now something 'we' as individuals have any influence on. But 'we' as in governments and the media are responsible for much of the actions and attitudes of the public in both camps.

How much do you think a Canadian national falsely taken from an airport and flown to a prison where he was beaten and tortured for a year?

How would you feel if it was you?
Seriously DLD, this is a serious question. If I was a Bin Laden terrorist who was making IED's and chucking grenadines around I think maybe I would be in the shit if caught !!! WTF are You thinking about pal!!!
Old Jul 7th 2017, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Seriously DLD, this is a serious question. If I was a Bin Laden terrorist who was making IED's and chucking grenadines around I think maybe I would be in the shit if caught !!! WTF are You thinking about pal!!!
I was giving a serious answer.

If you were a competent adult and chose to be terrorist, you'd deserve everything you got.

If you'd been indoctrinated as a child to believe terrorism or murder is normal, is that your fault?

If someone murders another (whether it's terrorism or not), a court is the correct place to try the suspect/defendent. Not a secret camp where you're subject to all kinds of crap until you tell your interrogators what they want to hear.

If you think Guantanamo is a good thing, try a whole year+ of SERE school.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 10:46 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

If it was me, at 15, I would exspect the worse if caught. At 15, the same age I signed up for the RAF by the way. I wasn't classed as a UK child soldier just a teenager who knew what I wanted to be and went into that part of my life eyes open.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That is not an answer. I would like to know how "the west" is supposed to convince thugs that are happy to smash to pieces anything they don't agree with that their actions are unreasonable, individuals, or governments.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Correct. Come elections I cast my vote. " You can't always get what you want but you find sometimes you get what you need" (plagerised lyrics from one of my favourite Rolling Stones Tracks)..such is democracy. Strongly disagree with this decision..but it is what it is. Just another of life's little disappointments but not unexpected. I can live with it...disgusting in the extreme as it is... I'll bet Khadr (is) can too, as he thumbs his nose at Canadian tax payers and laughs all the way to the bank , thinking "thanks suckers". I can only guess what U.S Service men's family's are thinking, not to mention our own Canadian Afganistan vets. Well at least the rest of the world can have a good laugh at the absurdity of this decision.
Whether he actually sees any of the $10.5 million is irelevent, the fact he has been paid it at all, is what matters.

Last edited by macadian; Jul 8th 2017 at 1:49 am.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Well i was watching the news this evening I watched an interview with Damien Warner - a CANADIAN citizen who is such a shy, humble, decent human being who wants to represent his country as an an outstanding athelete in the Decathalon.

Then there is this other "Canadian" citizen... Omar Khadr

I try not to get involved with political matters...but this......its disgusting, its the only word for it.

I keep hearing statements like "he is the most divisive figure in Canada at the moment" This statement really confuses me....i don't see an argument???

The fact that hes back in Canada is more than enough compensation. I don't understand the $10.5m pay out? The government have tried to make it look like its a cut the financial losses thing....but sorry....this is so morally wrong! Disgraceful.

I'm obviously missing something. What a joke of a society we live in today.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 3:49 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

What a ridiculous thing to say, does it make it better with a vaguely humerous emoji? No.. He lives here so I feel can quite freely comment as he did. He pays taxes in Canada whereas you clearly don't.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jul 8th 2017 at 3:52 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.