British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Terrorist attack in Sweden (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/terrorist-attack-sweden-891846/)

BristolUK Feb 19th 2017 5:42 pm

Terrorist attack in Sweden

Oh...wait...

It's just President Clown of the USA putting his foot in it again.

BristolUK Feb 19th 2017 5:53 pm

Re: Terrorist attack in Sweden

The guardian charitably thinks he may be confused with a place in Pakistan called Sehwan where a suicide bombing did happen.

But he said “Sweden, who would believe this?”

Well, if he really meant a place in Pakistan then everyone would believe it because such things are frequent.

He also said “Sweden. They took in large numbers.” Sweden has.

So he is clearly talking about Sweden the European country.

The only explanation is that he heard about it and has assumed it really was Sweden.

So he’s made a speech. He’s not consulted with anybody. Nobody has advised him beforehand.

Or he has ignored advisors because, of course, he knows best because his administration is doing so well. Running smoothly. :nod:

Snowy560 Feb 19th 2017 6:33 pm

Quite funny to read but really so depressing.

BristolUK Feb 19th 2017 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12184053)
Quite funny to read but really so depressing.

Yes. I thought about whether I should really have started the thread this way. :unsure:

But any question of poor taste just pales into insignificance really.

Aqua Feb 19th 2017 7:29 pm

Maybe it was the well known Swedish terrorist movement called 'The Turnips' attacking Bowlng Green again!

Easy to be confused with don't ya think bigly?

dave_j Feb 19th 2017 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Aqua (Post 12184087)
Maybe it was the well known Swedish terrorist movement called 'The Turnips' attacking Bowlng Green again!

Easy to be confused with don't ya think bigly?

I've not heard of 'the Turnips', but perhaps Trump confused them with 'the Swedes', a spinoff from 'the Worsels'.

Former Lancastrian Feb 19th 2017 9:46 pm

IKEA have sold out of

Build Your Own Wall Kits but they still have Big Beautiful Doors.

Danny B Feb 19th 2017 10:09 pm

Shard Feb 19th 2017 10:17 pm

Well, he has a point about Sweden. It's gone from one of the most socially cohesive European countries to one of the least. The Trump circus seems to be making that clarification today, that it wasn't a specific terrorist attack, but growing Islamism in that country.

BristolUK Feb 19th 2017 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12184177)

Yes, I read that bit of nonsense. Along with the White House statement that he was referring to general rising crime.

So, why bracket that alongside the obvious terror incidents in Paris, Nice and Brussels unless you believe there was a terror incident?

There's also that matter that general crime in Sweden hasn't been rising anyway.
From the same Guardian report: According to the 2016 Swedish Crime Survey, crime rates in Sweden have stayed relatively stable over the last decade, with some fluctuations. In 2015, there were 112 cases of lethal violence in Sweden, an increase of 25 cases compared with 2014, but assaults, threats, sexual offences, car theft, burglary and harassment all reduced compared to the previous year – as did anxiety about crime in society.

So, as embarrassing as it first sounded; clumsily equating general crime with terrorism; the latest piece of false information. Which is it?

Siouxie Feb 19th 2017 11:50 pm

3 hours ago:

Donald J. Trump Verified account
‏@realDonaldTrump

My statement as to what's happening in Sweden was in reference to a story that was broadcast on @FoxNews concerning immigrants & Sweden.

:eek:

Aqua Feb 20th 2017 12:25 am

Hang on!

He said.... Did you hear about what happened in Sweden last night? .....

dave_j Feb 20th 2017 3:37 am

I think he must have been referring to the sensational news that "Confused randy elk mounts wooden elk in Swede's garden", a subject close to his heart.
Confused randy elk mounts wooden elk in Swede's garden - The Local

Siouxie Feb 20th 2017 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Aqua (Post 12184271)
Hang on!

He said.... Did you hear about what happened in Sweden last night? .....

Yup... scruffy idiot.

Atlantic Xpat Feb 20th 2017 12:18 pm

https://pics.onsizzle.com/ikeas-bord...t-14087329.png