Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Terrorist attack in Sweden

Terrorist attack in Sweden

Old Feb 21st 2017, 12:02 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrorist attack in Sweden

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Sorry, I'm not having it. I do not necessarily support trump, but he is the elected president of the us. He was elected on a particular mandate and he is trying to implement the change that he is required to do to fulfil his promise to the electorate that elected him. This is a difficult job I think you would concede.
If the media were doing this to a black president or female president, there would be uproar, it seems that the middle class and the upper echelons in America, media and media moguls among them, chose not to vote for him and now they are content to try and bring about his demise. Shame, bad.
Whilst watching Fox news to obtain his information, by his own admittance.

Old Feb 21st 2017, 12:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
If the media were doing this to a black president or female president...
It seems there's a new medical condition. And it's catching.

The first symptom appears to be loss of reasoning power.

Trumpitis?
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:20 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

He is the first ever US President to tell the news 48hrs before it actually happens

Rioting erupts in immigrant-dominated Swedish suburb | Fox News
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

And how long before the same things are happening here?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 7:54 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
He is the first ever US President to tell the news 48hrs before it actually happens

Rioting erupts in immigrant-dominated Swedish suburb | Fox News
Telegraph has a piece today on Sweden's denial mentality.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
What percentage of Trump supporters know, or care, where Sweden is ?
Well, all the ones I know could. Many are Trump supporters precisely because they've been watching the mess in Europe grow for years.

Here's an interesting article I read a few days ago by an immigrant in Sweden:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/swede...matias-tavares

If he's correct, it seems like Sweden may be hunting for its Trump pretty soon, because it's either that or total collapse.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 10:25 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG

Here's an interesting article I read a few days ago by an immigrant in Sweden:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/swede...matias-tavares

e.
Good (economics) article. Sweden is becoming an interesting test case on the boundaries of cultural integration.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
. Sweden is becoming an interesting test case on the boundaries of cultural integration.
Now depending how you look at this wording and interpret it what does this actually mean? Is this an experiment, a plan or something else?

Humans have been fighting with each other for centuries be it religion, colour of skin or anything else thrown into the mix. Why can't we all just get along with each other as human beings?

I guess in my job I get to meet and talk to people from all over the world from all walks of life. Until they hand over their passport I have no idea who these persons are or what background they come from. My vision indicates that they are either male/female or perhaps a cross of both. I can see the colour of their skin and if they are a child, young or older adult and how they are dressed and what citizenship they are by their passport. Thats it thats all I know about this person. I have no reason to fear them.

I treat them in a respectful manner but now I have to start engaging my brain in how to deal with them. Will the person answer any questions I ask them and will they understand me? Are there any cultural nuances I should be aware of like will the husband let his wife speak to me or am I expected to direct questions to him only? Are there barriers like the person wearing a Burqa or any other form of whatever that hinders my ability to easily identify the person?

If not citizens of Canada does that person have to adapt to what I need them to do or do I have to adapt to them?

Is it possible for people to get on with each other yes, will it always happen well that remains to be seen.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Good (economics) article. Sweden is becoming an interesting test case on the boundaries of cultural integration.
I only got as far as the fretting about 92% of refugees having penises but, up to that point, there was no consideration of the long term benefit to the economy of integrated immigrants running businesses, employing people, that sort of thing. Did it ever get there or was the assumption early in the article of immigrants living for 60 years in refugee camps sustained?
Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:34 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by dbd33
I only got as far as the fretting about 92% of refugees having penises but, up to that point, there was no consideration of the long term benefit to the economy of integrated immigrants running businesses, employing people, that sort of thing. Did it ever get there or was the assumption early in the article of immigrants living for 60 years in refugee camps sustained?
No it didn't get there, as the thrust of the article and research findings was that there is a limit to the numbers of low integration immigrants a welfare economy can absorb.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

No it didn't get there, as the thrust of the article and research findings was that there is a limit to the numbers of low integration immigrants a welfare economy can absorb.
Seemed a very reasonable article, I am waiting as I have seen on other threads the response that (a) just right wing fake news (b) that actually Sweden hasn't really had any negative results. While there have been some sensationalist articles about the situation, the thing that caught my eye is the comment about refugees being housed in a luxury cruise ship.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

NSS!

Perhaps the prudent way to go is to sift through the refugees and take only the ones that have a good chance of integrating. Perhaps a country could lessen the risk to the welfare economy by encouraging private sponsorship of refugees. I've heard of some country that does both of those; it's not ideally humanitarian but you can't help everyone so you may as well help the ones who are likely to help your country in return.

Cruise ships, btw, are often used as conference housing. Not for the attendees who expect proper hotels but for the conference staff who can be packed in. It's a cheap way to park a lot of people if you don't have giant hostels and you do have a body of water.