Terror attack in NZ

Old Mar 21st 2019, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

jeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attack in NZ

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Because, of course, those that wish to use such weapons to injure people are well known for wanting to have their weapons registered.
Hi
using that logic they wont obey a ban either then ?

cheers J
Old Mar 21st 2019, 6:19 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeremy brewer

Hi

cheers J
Careful, you'll exceed your 3 posts per year average. 2003 !
Old Mar 21st 2019, 7:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Did you actually watch that video? I certainly didn't.
I saw it, it was on a big screen in the office, I didn't go out of my way to find it.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 8:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I saw it, it was on a big screen in the office, I didn't go out of my way to find it.
Very bad form for someone to broadcast that on a big public screen.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 9:18 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I heard they were laying charges for people who shared the video, not sure if they can trace who watched it, but that maybe a 2nd phase of related charges in th pipe line
Old Mar 21st 2019, 11:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I heard they were laying charges for people who shared the video
I can't imagine how that would work. Once something is on a major site, Facebook in this case, it's out in the wind, everyone who wants to see it, and plenty who don't want to, will see it. What charge could there be anyway? It's an event in the news, watching is in poor taste but taste isn't regulated.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 12:12 am
Yo

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can't imagine how that would work. Once something is on a major site, Facebook in this case, it's out in the wind, everyone who wants to see it, and plenty who don't want to, will see it. What charge could there be anyway? It's an event in the news, watching is in poor taste but taste isn't regulated.
Yup. Regulation has to be tighter at the FB/platform level.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 1:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Shard
Yup. Regulation has to be tighter at the FB/platform level.
Again, I don't see how that can work. Popular platforms support live streaming and that's not functionality they would want to give up. People can live stream anything and some of that material will be illegal in some countries from which the platform can be accessed. As soon as something is streamed to a group, members of that group can have a copy and can distribute it from there; it's then in the internet forever. I can see that the platform owners can face penalties for allowing consumption of material where it's banned or civil actions in the case that the material is copyrighted but these are after the fact; in the short term the material has been disseminated.

I can see an argument that, if you fine them enough, the platform operators will figure out how to screen material but I don't think that's a practical resolution. Stuff, once in the internet goes everywhere, even if it's on a relatively obscure platform like 4chan or 8chan or 256chan or whatever it is now. For example, something else that was in the news that I saw at work was the ISIS video of the man being burned in a cage. AFAIK that wasn't offered on a major social media site but, plainly, it was widely available. Another example would be the hacked nudes; a stolen picture of a stout woman, name forgotten but a famous model with a baseball player boyfriend, was a colleague's screensaver for a while.

There are problems with the ease with which material can be distributed now but it's not facebook's or twitter's or Devin Nunes Cow's problem. It's an internet wide problem.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 22nd 2019 at 1:23 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 8:55 am
Yo

Well, there are remedies beyond fines, criminal prosecution for example. That tends to focus minds. Granted the worst content will end up on the dark web somewhere, but at least it will be out of the mainstream. That also created a social stigma around it. I am not sure if AI video recognition is sufficiently advanced to catch this stuff, but that surely has to be coming soon.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeremy brewer

Hi

cheers J
Do you believe they will?