Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Tenuous Connections to Famous People

Tenuous Connections to Famous People

Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all
Default Re: Tenuous Connections to Famous People

I am related to WG Grace on my mother's side. Not much in the way of bragging rights for a female, but it does explain my beard

I used to work on match days at Cov City in the boxes and met a few people there. Gary Linekar, who was a nob (he also tried to cop off with my cousin's mate!)

Also used to work at a service station and served Bucks Fizz (the group, not the drink) and Lofty from Eastenders.

My dad played golf with Russ Abbott (and said he was just as funny in real life. So, not at all then Dad!)

Was told to 'move out the bloody way' by Jimmy Tarbuck when I was kid. After he upset me I was cheered up by getting an autograph from Benny off Crossroads.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Rather worryingly, I've spent the past 10 minutes frantically Googling to see if I can figure out (a) who Souvy is and why he's quoted regularly; and (b) his connection to the Royals.
I could help you with (a), but I won't.

(b) is a mystery I prefer not to investigate.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I could help you with (a), but I won't.

(b) is a mystery I prefer not to investigate.
It's not worth it anyway. Most famous people are c***s. Not that I've met any, but still...
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:25 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the same class at school as Mike Skinner (The Streets)

bumped into Shaun Ryder in a club in Ibiza and he got me into the VIP area and it ended up being a crazy evening with me hanging out with him and Bez and it was round the time of Blackgrape so folk from Blackgrape.

Worked for a hotel chain for a few months and had the privilege of telling John Thompson (cold feet) that h wasn't as famous as he thinks and when the hotel s full it's full unless your A list famous.

Needed some extra income so took on a second job for a while at the apple store in the Trafford centre and met all of the Man U and Man City teams, also met Russell Watson. Ryan Giggs wife use to come into the store a lot with their kids and she is a lovely woman, nice kids and then he did the dirty on her

I was on an MTV show when they filmed in Ibiza.

Met Teddy Sherringham while out on a works Christmas doo.

That's all I can think of for now
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

I once walked past Phillip Schofield and Fern Britton who were having a cuppa at a cafe near Buckingham Palace.

I served Peter Ebdon (snooker player)'s wife and kids in a tearoom. Peter Ebdon was sitting at the table.

I once served pasties to David Baddiel and Frank Skinner in Greggs - they'd come to watch football at the Millenium Stadium. Also in Greggs I served a bottle of water to Jonathan Wilkes. He was starring in Godspell at the theatre across the road.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I told the Prince Edward, Duke of Kent to naff off when he asked me to put my cigarette out while was watching Eddie Kid do his motorbike stuff. Somehow I'd wandered into the royal enclosure.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work at The Copthorne in Newcastle one summer and met loads of famous people. I served Bros (remember the twin boy band) and Kenny Thomas their breakfast. They both declined the full English and had sausages and beans

I once climbed a wall after The Hitman Roadshow and Sonya (the little singer with red hair) waved to me.

I have Yell's autograph ("Instant Replay") and got a kiss off them both.

My mam's cousin used to present TV on Tyne Tees I think it was.

Me and Hubby sat next to Liz Hurley in a departure lounge in Italy. Seriously without airbrushing she looked old and haggard.

Have seen Alan Shearer and Terry McDermott a ton of times as they used to drink in the same pub as me.

Have Tim Healey's autograph.

Think that's about it from me!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread!

I grew up with the niece of Joe Mercer the jockey.

I've spent the evening drinking with Kris Kristofferson.

Also shared an elevator with Mel Gibson...he's very short and had fallen off the wagon.

I'm very good friends with an AD who's worked on Hell on Wheels, Pillars of the Earth and Passchendale.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:33 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

• my folks live down the road from where Dickie Davis used to live.
  • I was an extra for a TV movie with Richard Wilson and Andrew Yorke in it.
  • I met Annette Crosbie in a pub opposite the House of Commons, she and her companion sat at a table with me and my mate, we all agreed Keith Joseph (then education secretary, I think, and holding forth loudly at the bar) was a complete prat.
  • Jeremy Irons did the narration for a performance of "The Snow Goose" with my school orchestra.
  • we used to get a Christmas card every year from Princess Diana.
  • I once sang karaoke in the same bar as Ally McCoist somewhere in Portugal.
  • And, of course, I know who Souvy is in real life. I don't know if that scores extra points in the "tenuous" or "famous" categories, probably both.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:36 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a young tearaway I shared a flat in Camden with 2 guys from home, and it was a bit of a riotous existence. We'd all been at the pub in the evening and came home at closing time. We opened the door and the lights were on, and there sitting in our living room quite the thing were the guys from the band Roachford.

I've never got to the bottom of that one.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:39 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

OOH just remembered another one, passed Lenny Henry walking out of a gym club as friend and I were walking in.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the palace for my trinket the same day Christopher Lee collected his CBE.

The Queen really did ask me "and what do you do?"

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 24th 2013 at 10:28 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:28 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly ran over that idiot from coronation street that plays Ashley
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:51 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I've met, and had hands on, many celebs, politicians, royals when I worked in a London private hospital.

I've been mistaken for Dawn French many times, and once shared a lift with her and Alison Moyet. It was a roomy lift.

I walked into an unlocked loo, John Conteh was in there and I saw his willy.

I used to go out with the actor who played one of the British airmen in Allo Allo so have spent a few evenings in the BBC bar.

I know who Souvy is but have never met him.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:25 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

My mum's cousin's son was the kid in Mad Max.

I met Brian Jacks and Duncan Goodhew on holibobs.

I used to babysit for a family whose Dad always played German soldiers in war films.

I was an extra in a BBC Play for Today back in the eighties. It was set at the end of WWII and "starred" Edward Fox. I got paid ten quid.

I also appeared on an episode of Wish You Were Here at a holiday camp in Bognor. Alas, I never got to meet Judith Chalmers, but they paid me with a lovely Wish You Were Here badge

My great Auntie Annie was in charge of the ladies' lavs at Dreamland in Margate back in its heyday.

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; Jan 24th 2013 at 11:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.