Teatime Choices

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:26 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teatime Choices

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm going to have a few people over for a bit celebration soon and I trying plan the food but I'm bit stuck on the sandwich front. As of now I can only think of egg and cress and ham and mustard. Any decent suggestions? I don't want any poncy ones or the Canadian salady ones where they drown everything in Miracle Whip.
Cheese and pickle, or spam and picalili
If you are looking to impress your guests, serve them in triangles with the crusts cut off.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
Cheese and pickle, or spam and picalili
If you are looking to impress your guests, serve them in triangles with the crusts cut off.
That's a given. Not sure about Spam, that sounds a bit low rent as the party is for a celebration. Pardon the pun, but I was thinking of pushing the boat out and serving smoked salmon and as well crab sandwiches. I'm not doing cucumber as that's too much of a cliche and it'll just prompt unnecessary comments.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Don't waste smoked salmon in bread - scrap the sandwich idea and do the "appetizer" bit with the smoked salmon or prosciutto ham.

Square cracker, smear of boursin cheese or philadelphia and a fold of salmon or ham on top. Yummy, quick and looks nice!

Or if you havea few mins extra, wrap the prosciutto around a blob of mozzarella and half a cherry tomato. Skewer with a cocktail stick.

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a given. Not sure about Spam, that sounds a bit low rent as the party is for a celebration. Pardon the pun, but I was thinking of pushing the boat out and serving smoked salmon and as well crab sandwiches. I'm not doing cucumber as that's too much of a cliche and it'll just prompt unnecessary comments.
Tuna mayo?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:59 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

I would always add a plate of spam sandwiches when it was my turn to do the cricket teas. Went down a storm every time. Crab sandwiches sounds nice, just don't get carried away and think it would be a good idea to serve volovants.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:07 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Don't waste smoked salmon in bread - scrap the sandwich idea and do the "appetizer" bit with the smoked salmon or prosciutto ham.

Square cracker, smear of boursin cheese or philadelphia and a fold of salmon or ham on top. Yummy, quick and looks nice!

Or if you havea few mins extra, wrap the prosciutto around a blob of mozzarella and half a cherry tomato. Skewer with a cocktail stick.

I like the salmon and Boursin idea although I think I'll stick with sandwiches and mini sausage rolls otherwise its going to get too complicated. For afters I'm going to attempt a Victoria sponge cake and also do jelly as a Swiss roll seems just a bit beyond my capacity. Thank you all for your suggestions.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:13 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

roast beef & horseradish

cucumber & marmite

peanut butter & cream cheese (my son's absolute favourite sandwich )

goat's cheese & cranberry sauce (and if you have any left over from Christmas you'll save a bit of time & effort there)

brie & grapes (can be a bit difficult to do elegantly, those pesky grapes are a bugger to slice thinly, but if your nan is one of your guests she's likely to think you're ever so sophisticated...)
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
roast beef & horseradish

cucumber & marmite

peanut butter & cream cheese (my son's absolute favourite sandwich )

goat's cheese & cranberry sauce (and if you have any left over from Christmas you'll save a bit of time & effort there)

brie & grapes (can be a bit difficult to do elegantly, those pesky grapes are a bugger to slice thinly, but if your nan is one of your guests she's likely to think you're ever so sophisticated...)
Sadly she won't be here and I also don't want to come across as all poncy and posh but I'll definitely get some nice slices of roast beef and do it with a little horseradish. Thanks, that's a great suggestion.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:36 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to have a few people over for a bit celebration soon and I trying plan the food but I'm bit stuck on the sandwich front. As of now I can only think of egg and cress and ham and mustard. Any decent suggestions? I don't want any poncy ones or the Canadian salady ones where they drown everything in Miracle Whip.
Just do a pot luck. Make sure they take their shoes off too!

It's all about integration remember....
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Just do a pot luck. Make sure they take their shoes off too!

It's all about integration remember....
Neither a pot luck or a bbq of hotdogs and hamburgers is going to happen if I've got anything to do with it and if anyone takes their shoes off, they can naff off out.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Just do a pot luck.
I HATE pot lucks with a passion - all too often there is virtually nothing that I can eat besides what I have taken as I have a dairy allergy (what is it with people putting cheese all over everything?)

Sarnie suggestions - Tuna mayo with sliced cucumber (or dill pickles if you prefer),
Smoked salmon and cream cheese
cheese and chutney (use a really good old cheddar),
Marmite and cream cheese (or do Nigella's marmite sandwiches where you mix marmite with butter and then spread it on the bread)
Chicken with curry mayo (ie coronation chicken)
BLT
Prawns/shrimp with a lemon mayo....

Can you tell from my suggestions that I like mayonnaise?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:01 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chookie
I HATE pot lucks with a passion
They are bloody awful. I tried very hard to eradicate them at work this year but one still managed to get through. Of course being a pot luck organiser is fine - lots of credit for an event with no effort and shit food.

I have no idea why people like them.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Chookie
I HATE pot lucks with a passion - all too often there is virtually nothing that I can eat besides what I have taken as I have a dairy allergy (what is it with people putting cheese all over everything?)

Sarnie suggestions - Tuna mayo with sliced cucumber (or dill pickles if you prefer),
Smoked salmon and cream cheese
cheese and chutney (use a really good old cheddar),
Marmite and cream cheese (or do Nigella's marmite sandwiches where you mix marmite with butter and then spread it on the bread)
Chicken with curry mayo (ie coronation chicken)
BLT
Prawns/shrimp with a lemon mayo....

Can you tell from my suggestions that I like mayonnaise?
Thanks Chookie but I think I've got the menu sorted now. I agree Limahl-Martin, I hate pot lucks with a passion. I experienced way too many of those in graduate school.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 3rd 2012 at 4:47 am.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:43 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

last night we had Philly Steak sandwiches with cajun fries and a glass of shandy.
Tonight its going to be spag bol in the crock pot.

Trying to eat tea before 6pm so I can lose LOTS of weight with minimum effort, I have been told this is the way to go!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:46 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

They are bloody awful. I tried very hard to eradicate them at work this year but one still managed to get through. Of course being a pot luck organiser is fine - lots of credit for an event with no effort and shit food.

I have no idea why people like them.
I love them! But I like plane food too
Thats probably why I need to stop eating after 6!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.