Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Teaching Young Ones to Skate?

Teaching Young Ones to Skate?

Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:43 pm
Sloopy Dippinsprinkles

MrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really nice
Default Teaching Young Ones to Skate?

Hi there we took our kids skating friday evening for their first time (oh has played hockey - the ice variety! before so he can skate) but I'm not all that great - can stay on two feet and get around of a fashion!!

I was wondering if anyone would have any advice on teaching young ones to skate or the best approach, in particular my son who is 31/2. Abby did relly well and managed by holding one hand but Ross was a bit of a legs everywhere and couldn't manage to stand up! Hard going on your back. He eventualy got stressed and wanted to go home so we just took his skates off and I stood and watched from the side with him. He wants to go again but was wondering if there was a better way (other than lessons for now until were sure he likes it). Are bob skates advisable??

Many thanks for any help/advice you could provide.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching Young Ones to Skate?

Having skated with my kids in the UK I would say little and often is the answer. After 3 or 4 trips of about 20 minutes each they should start to get the hang of it.

3 is quite young though so only do it when your son is enjoying it. You did the right thing to stop when he wanted to as you don't want to put him off.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:54 pm
Sloopy Dippinsprinkles

MrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really nice

Hi, thanks DNS - don't want to force the wee man. It was about us having a fun night together. He did last 20 minutes (on ice) like you said!! It's good though that he wants to go back and try it again. I think he is motivated that his sister is doing it, but then she got disco rollers (a blast from the past) for her christmas and she's had the feel of them so maybe that helped.

I have to say though (very guiltly) trying to hold him whilst his wee legs were going in opposite directions was a little funny. He even laughed at one point. Oooh I know I'm a terrible mother for laughing (with him - honest!).

Thanks for your reply.

Old Feb 17th 2008, 4:24 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsLauder99
Are bob skates advisable??

Many thanks for any help/advice you could provide.[/FONT]
Having googled Bob skates and confirmed that they were the ones with double blades, I can report that one of my son's friends told him they were a great starter, and he was talking about an older beginner skater who wanted to play hockey.

It's a bit of a bummer for kids coming over here who'd love to play hockey with their new mates but have the drawback that they can't skate!

He said they allow you to at least move around and get your balance and a sense of how to do it, and he felt it was easy to move onto single bladed skates once you could do that and your ankles are getting stronger.

Personally I have not tried to skate even once. I'm sure I'd be useless, and the thought of falling on that hard ice and possibly breaking a wrist, (or even a hip at my advanced age) fills me with horror!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 4:25 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

... maybe I should get some????

Skating sure looks fun.

Having just searched for Bob skates it appears that they are just for toddlers and young children.

Bummer!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Feb 17th 2008 at 4:35 pm. Reason: bob skate info added
Old Feb 17th 2008, 4:37 pm
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by Morwenna
It's a bit of a bummer for kids coming over here who'd love to play hockey with their new mates but have the drawback that they can't skate!
Bummer!
OK ..... Word of the day: BUMMER!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 4:48 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen little kids learning to skate outdoors pushing a plastic chair in front of them - similar to using a zimmer

Make sure your kids wear a helmet, elbow and kneepads
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:27 pm
Sloopy Dippinsprinkles

Personally I have not tried to skate even once. I'm sure I'd be useless, and the thought of falling on that hard ice and possibly breaking a wrist, (or even a hip at my advanced age) fills me with horror!
I bet you'd do good at skating. I know what you mean about the fear of falling. It's what held me back for ages and not until I went to Toronto (a good few years back) with my husband's hockey team did I get roped into a game with them (eeeeeek!) Never played before. But all the padding (including my own large bum!) gave me confidence and I was ok about falling. It was good fun, until (and it had to be my husband) who hit a slapshot from the blue line and hit me on the leg with the puck!!!!! of course that small area that wasn't padded between top of the skates and bottom of leg guard and I had a nice puc shaped bruise and lump. The audible intake of air from all onlookers would let you guess how hard he hit it. Suitable husbandry guilt all round I can laugh about it now!!

I wished I had bob skates myself though!!! - Do you think you've found a niche market - maybe you could patent adult Bob's!!! You'd probably make a fortune (well in the UK anyway!).

You should have a go and post the pics!

Thanks again.
Lynne
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:27 pm
Sloopy Dippinsprinkles

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I have seen little kids learning to skate outdoors pushing a plastic chair in front of them - similar to using a zimmer

Note to self: Zimmer frame for me........Chair for the lad!!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hart50 is an unknown quantity at this point

In addition to the protective equipment and the chair I would strongly urge you to make sure the wee one's skates properly fit. If they don't, like ill fitting ski boots, it can make learning how to skate that much harder if his feet are swimming in the skates.
Also, I note that Edinburgh has a professional hockey team and so perhaps they run a skating and/or hockey school.

http://www.edinburgh-capitals.com/

Good luck!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:58 pm
Sloopy Dippinsprinkles

Originally Posted by Hart50
In addition to the protective equipment and the chair I would strongly urge you to make sure the wee one's skates properly fit. If they don't, like ill fitting ski boots, it can make learning how to skate that much harder if his feet are swimming in the skates.
Also, I note that Edinburgh has a professional hockey team and so perhaps they run a skating and/or hockey school.

http://www.edinburgh-capitals.com/

Good luck!
Thanks my OH know's a lot of the folk involved with the Murrayfield team as he used to play ice hockey with the recce team there and one of them still works/manages the place, it was him that mentioned the bob skates. They do do hockey for kids but I don't think as young as 3 but he could maybe get lessons. I'll have to get my OH to speak to his hockey mate and find out what the deal is. I want to get the wee lad comfortable enough with it though that I'm sure he wants to do it, as if not it's an expensive outlay - kids eh, always churning out money for them ! The only thing is the UK and certainly edinburgh ice hockey just isn't that popular (certainly not like football, etc) so there's not the availability/access that there is in Canada. I want to get him comfortable for what Morwenna said that he will end up making friends that can already skate, then want to do it and he won't be able to, so trying to give him a head start now - you never know he may just play for Canada one day (just kidding) but he might have fun and that's the main objective.

Thanks.

Lynne.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hart50 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think your plan is a great one, especially as it will afford you and your family a good opportunity to become involved with your new community in Canada. I started skating when I was four and I had a lot of fun growing up playing ice hockey. Like your football and rugby it is a great team sport and is Canada's national religion/obsession.

Cheers,
H
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do

I've seen them pushing a traffic cone too
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:22 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MrsLauder99
Do you think you've found a niche market - maybe you could patent adult Bob's!!! You'd probably make a fortune (well in the UK anyway!).
Put me down for a pair!

And one for TrishB, too - I've seen her skate!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:43 pm
Sloopy Dippinsprinkles

Originally Posted by daft batty
I've seen them pushing a traffic cone too
I can just see those huge ones, they are probably bigger than the wee man! He'd be very into that!!

Originally Posted by Wannabe
Put me down for a pair!

And one for TrishB, too - I've seen her skate!
mmmmmmmmm - do you think they should be manufactured in colours - to match your shoes (maybe with a pattern). It's all important to be co-ordinated you know! My daughter want's pink skates of course!!! She also got sight of a little pink ice dancer skirt and wants that to go with the skates.

So that's four pairs of adult bob's then!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.