Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto

Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto

Old May 18th 2009, 8:12 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto

Originally Posted by Largo
Re. Protests

Did anyone else see where a middle-aged ,grey haired , white, family doctor, who was protesting the closure of the local hospital, had his face slammed into the hood ( bonnet ) of a car, was handcuffed, and presumably arrested?
Was any Tamil treated this way?
Are you suggesting the Tamils should have been treated this way?

As an aside how many non-whites are 'routinely' stopped in cities the world over just for walking down the street or looking at a caucasian the wrong way? How many of them are 'roughed' up by 'bad-apple' prejudiced 'officers' of the law?

Oh just another thought, what aspect of this 'victim' was it you felt was most important? Surely you could have just said Dr? or would it have been ok if the DR had been in 'his' 20s? had brown hair? was black?
Old May 18th 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Are you suggesting the Tamils should have been treated this way?
As an aside how many non-whites are 'routinely' stopped in cities the world over just for walking down the street or looking at a caucasian the wrong way? How many of them are 'roughed' up by 'bad-apple' prejudiced 'officers' of the law?

Oh just another thought, what aspect of this 'victim' was it you felt was most important? Surely you could have just said Dr? or would it have been ok if the DR had been in 'his' 20s? had brown hair? was black?
Not at all. I was only pointing out a difference in the way two protests were handled. Do not assume I am racist.
Old May 18th 2009, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all. I was only pointing out a difference in the way two protests were handled. Do not assume I am racist.
Stay on this Board and you will find that the 'racist' card is played with more frequency than Neil Young, Guess Who and Rush on Canadian Radio Stations.... ...with little if any reasonable justification for so doing.

Last edited by macadian; May 18th 2009 at 11:23 pm.
Old May 19th 2009, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with what you wrote is that you seem to imply there are two types of justice: One for a middle aged white and another for a bunch of Tamils.

The doctor being roughed up was clearly wrong. But I can not see what skin colour, age, social status, ethnicity, and race has anything to do with it. Bottom line is that no human being deserves to be treated this way.

On the other hand the Tamils were allowed to protest. There was no need for the heavy artillery (including water hoses as had been advocated by Jersey Girl).

BTW, I do not see you as a racist.
Old May 19th 2009, 5:04 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
The problem with what you wrote is that you seem to imply there are two types of justice: One for a middle aged white and another for a bunch of Tamils.

The doctor being roughed up was clearly wrong. But I can not see what skin colour, age, social status, ethnicity, and race has anything to do with it. Bottom line is that no human being deserves to be treated this way.

On the other hand the Tamils were allowed to protest. There was no need for the heavy artillery (including water hoses as had been advocated by Jersey Girl).

BTW, I do not see you as a racist.
Largo I never ASSUMED you were a racist, as Mike pointed the way your post was worded could SUGGEST racist leanings. The way the Tamil protest was handled was BETTER than the way the 'authorities' handled the Dr. Simple as that.
Old May 19th 2009, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Largo I never ASSUMED you were a racist, as Mike pointed the way your post was worded could SUGGEST racist leanings. The way the Tamil protest was handled was BETTER than the way the 'authorities' handled the Dr. Simple as that.
Well its looks like they are going to have much more practice, Toronto in for more of the same. I wonder, do they get time off work to protest on a daily basis?
Old May 19th 2009, 3:05 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday when I was flying, there was a no fly zone in operation over University and College due to someone going over in a plane the day before dragging a banner with "Tamils Go Home" on it. Seems some idiots are now starting to retaliate.
Old May 19th 2009, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

I have read and re-read my post.
I do not see where it would suggest that I had racist tendencies.
The first part described what I saw on TV.--- only the facts --- for those who might not have seen it. The second part a genuine inquiry, since I had not heard anything to the contrary. Then the deduction that the two situations had been handled differently.

I am not responsible for what you, or Mike, believe my wording could suggest.
Anyone who knows me would tell you , I am very blunt, and you would certainly know, exactly ,what I meant.

By the way, for the record, many years ago when I lived in, and was a student at a University, (a mature one at that, ) in the USA. I marched in SUPPORT of Martin Luther King.

Do you still want to suggest that I have racist tendencies?
Old May 19th 2009, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, to reiterate I do not consider you a racist.

Nonetheless the 'trigger', for want of better word, in what you wrote was the insertion of the word 'white' and, in so doing, by implication, you would seem to suggest there might be a different standard for handling 'whites' and 'browns' in a protest setting.

That is how I view your comments. My interpretation.

Seems these incidents are completely isolated and have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

Last edited by montreal mike; May 19th 2009 at 7:46 pm.
Old May 19th 2009, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Firstly, to reiterate I do not consider you a racist.

Nonetheless the 'trigger', for want of better word, in what you wrote was the insertion of the word 'white' and, in so doing, by implication, you would seem to suggest there might be a different standard for handling 'whites' and 'browns' in a protest setting.

That is how I view your comments. My interpretation.

Seems these incidents are completely isolated and have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

I am glad that you do not view me as a racist. I reported what I saw, and what was reported on TV.
So tell me, what is wrong in the use of the word 'white'. The man was white.
And in this case 'the white ' got the worse treatment.

Please explain what you mean ' these incidents are completely isolated and have nothing to do with one another"
Old May 19th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

[/I]

I am glad that you do not view me as a racist. I reported what I saw, and what was reported on TV.
So tell me, what is wrong in the use of the word 'white'. The man was white.
And in this case 'the white ' got the worse treatment.

Please explain what you mean ' these incidents are completely isolated and have nothing to do with one another"
Nothing wrong with using the word 'white' but why on earth was it necessary to do so in view of the fact the Tamils (browns) were the object of the comparison.

As to the incident being isolated and unrelated, I did a Google on the news item and unless I am completely wrong both sets of protesters involved different law enforcement officers.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/A...aspx?e=1570243

Last edited by montreal mike; May 19th 2009 at 9:42 pm.
Old May 19th 2009, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nothing wrong with using the word 'white' but why on earth was it necessary to do so in view of the fact the Tamils (browns) were the object of the comparison.

As to the incident being isolated and unrelated, I did a Google on the news item and unless I am completely wrong both sets of protesters involved different law enforcement officers.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/A...aspx?e=1570243
What was I supposed to compared them with -- off whites, beige, tan,
brown, black? The man was white.
Regardless of where the enforcement officers are located -- do we not live in the same province and country?. Perhaps not you, since you are Montreal based, according to your user name.

And I reiterate--- do you and/ or Butch C still think I have racist leanings? If so pm me and I will put you in touch with many people who will put you straight on that!

Last edited by Largo; May 19th 2009 at 10:12 pm. Reason: Addition
Old May 19th 2009, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

What was I supposed to compared them with -- off whites, beige, tan,
brown, black? The man was white.
Regardless of where the enforcement officers are located -- do we not live in the same province and country?. Perhaps not you, since you are Montreal based, according to your user name.

And I reiterate--- do you still think I have racist leanings?
Racist leanings? Not in my books.

It matters not whether we live in the same town, province or country.

If you have a bunch of law enforcement officers who, for whatever reason, decide to get really rough and tough on a protester, and here it matters not what the colour or race is, one can argue until one is blue in the face, the damage is done.

I am not referring to any specific case here but I am speaking in general terms. I guess one can find examples of police brutality. It exists. People are not perfect.

As to mentioning the fact the doctor was White I do not think it matters. My guess is if he were Black, Brown, or Latino, the result would probably have been the same.

Last edited by montreal mike; May 19th 2009 at 10:27 pm.
Old May 19th 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by montreal mike;7586667[COLOR="Red"
]Racist leanings? Not in my books.[/COLOR]
It matters not whether we live in the same town, province or country.

If you have a bunch of law enforcement officers who, for whatever reason, decide to get really rough and tough on a protester, and here it matters not what the colour or race is, one can argue until one is blue in the face, the damage is done.

I am not referring to any specific case here but I am speaking in general terms. I guess one can find examples of police brutality. It exists. not perfPeople are ect.

As to mentioning the fact the doctor was White I do not think it matters. My guess is if he were Black, Brown, or Latino, the result would probably have been the same.

Thank you for that.i.e. I do not have racist leanings.

I agree that people are not perfect
Old May 20th 2009, 2:19 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

More protests, more roads blocked, more inflammatory banners:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...ildcat-strikes

"Today, Humberside police said that about 800 protesters were blocking roads near the refinery at South Killingholme and advised motorists to avoid the area. Police said officers were speaking to the demonstrators but were asking drivers to take alternative routes."

How dare they!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.