Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto

Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto

Old May 13th 2009, 12:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tamil Protest / Riot in Toronto

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I think dbd coined the phrase 'cradle Canadian', to mean people born here to people born here etc.
I lifted it from some redneck or other, Stockwell Day, Preston Manning, Jason Kenney, Wolfgang Droege, someone like that; a silly man with a silly name who was using it as an expression of pride.
Old May 13th 2009, 12:18 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=clynnog;7567855]

Your stereotypes amuse me. I'm not sure about the siding but the hairdresser bit is spot on. You forgot nails, though. The birds here are fanatical about their fingernails. There are at least four places in Les Promenades alone.

Pepsi? Yes. Mae Wests? Not sure. Bud is the beer of choice in QC.

/QUOTE]

I've seen lavendar coloured siding on a number of houses in QC...often with a hairdressers within them and the fake butterflies and little old ladies leaning over picking at flowers plywood things.

Four places for nails in the Promenade...do they double as tanning (bronzage?) places as well.

You are right Bud is very popular...Laurentide is sort of for the older generation and I believe it is just Molson Canadian that has been re-labelled.
The nail places seem to be just nails (the Chinese appear to have taken over the market). Tanning studios are all over the bloody place.

I'm fairly sure you are right about Laurentide. I can't remember the last time I saw Canadian on sale here.
Old May 13th 2009, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The nail places seem to be just nails (the Chinese appear to have taken over the market). Tanning studios are all over the bloody place.
Vietnamese, surely, it's the national skill.
Old May 13th 2009, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
You could well be right, now I think of it. The linguistic profile would fit.
Old May 13th 2009, 12:34 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Perhaps Ben has a photo?
Ah, that is what caused it to burst into flames and explode, I did wonder.
Old May 13th 2009, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
That and grow ops (I'll get my coat now)
Old May 13th 2009, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog
That and grow ops (I'll get my coat now)
That one I will accept. It seemed de rigeur in Oakville for grow-op busts to involve folk from there.
Old May 13th 2009, 12:49 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like they are staging another protest today. The same hand holding chain thing they did previously. Again disrupting people trying to get to work and get on with their lives.

I do understand that people are getting killed, and yes, it's very sad. However, there are ways to do it and ways not to, and I think they fall into the latter, rather than the former category.

I wasn't sympathetic to them after the first disruption, and I'm not alone. After the closure of the Gardiner, well, I'm sorry, but all you're doing is alienating people who might have cared about your cause. You can say peaceful protests are not working so you need to take drastic action, but seriously narking off a lot of people is not going to help you.

What also intrigues me is that I've seen people there holding the following:

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but LTTE is also known as the Tamil Tigers, and this is a recognized terrorist group. Now I know the majority of the protestors are not terrorists, but you'd have thought that a little more thought would have gone into this, ie; don't wave around a flag indicating that a terrorist group is your only hope, that is not going to endear you to people, especially in a political sense, as Canada see the LTTE as a terrorist group.

They should be going to the UN rather than the Canadian and US governments.

I really do hope they don't decide to stage another unlawful blocking of somewhere else, simply as it will get very, very nasty indeed.
Old May 13th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
When did the sectarian violence in Northern Ireland end? Nothing has ever ended.

Apartheid. Has been reimplemented in South Africa, if you're white you can't get a job, get hounded out of your home and officially discriminated against. The colour roles have just reversed.
Mr. Bell - You seem to speak rather authoritatively especially about South Africa. I suggest you get your facts right before you make any such statement. It is ignorance such as yours that fuels and supports divisions and racism. Please think very carefully about what you say and where you post such flagrant comments.

I myself was a victim of the apartheid system and know very well what it meant to pay supposedly equal taxes only to get an unequal or injust return and those who benefitted from such a system never once complained about it, but now when the tables are turned and attempts are made to put right injustices by establishing a level playing field - I have comments like yours and naturally it is by an ignorant person who listens to half baked nonsense.

Ruby
Old May 13th 2009, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Actually yes, I have several South African friends, all of whom say they would never go back there to live. I have some who left the country as they couldn't get a job, and where told it was because they were white. I have friends who had their house forcibly taken from them by the local government and handed over to a homeless black family. I have friends who are trying to get their mother to leave the country as soon as possible as she has been burgled 7 times in the last year and the police do nothing because she is white. I have friends who try and get documents but cannot because they are not allowed to issue them to them as they're white. And these aren't the same groups of friends, I've had several here in Canada and in the UK, and the stories are all the same, in the last ten years the country has switched to a black state where if you're not black you're not worth anything.
You spout quite a lot of garbage - unsubstantiated. Burglaries happen all the time the police reaction is the same be it Black or White. The white who leave have always had their British passports and have never ever been patriotic to South Africa just there for what they can rape and pillage - unfortunately a very colonialist mentality. Those white people who leave have accrued an obscene amount of wealth on the back of the poor.

Think before you make your statements and Yes those white people who leave are most welcome in the west so that they can carry on the propaganda machinery fuelled by the likes of you.

Ruby
Old May 13th 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

They just don't care, their ideology is more important than their own families.
Yes most times it is so. Cause and ideology over everything else.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fledermaus
yeah, and the pork pies, and scotch eggs?? fully assimilated??

It just seems a bit daft to me, a shed load of immigrants writing about immigrants as if they are separate species.
Yes it is ironic immigrants condemning the actions of another group of immigrants.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Also, I would like to remind all posters on this thread that the Canadian government accepted a large proportion of Tamil speaking Sri Lankans as refugees and most often when conditions return to normal in a refugees country it is hoped that they will return to rebuild their lives and country by contributing positively to that growth and most often this does happen. So to the poster who questioned multi culturalism and the motives behind allowing peoples from other countries and ethnic groups to settle in a country - I hope you never ever find yourself in such a situation.

I ask myself how is it possible that such a shed load of ignorant people could come together in one single place - then of course i looked at the origins. Need i say anymore

Ruby
Old May 13th 2009, 2:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by sharkus
Looks like they are staging another protest today. The same hand holding chain thing they did previously. Again disrupting people trying to get to work and get on with their lives.

I do understand that people are getting killed, and yes, it's very sad. However, there are ways to do it and ways not to, and I think they fall into the latter, rather than the former category.

I wasn't sympathetic to them after the first disruption, and I'm not alone. After the closure of the Gardiner, well, I'm sorry, but all you're doing is alienating people who might have cared about your cause. You can say peaceful protests are not working so you need to take drastic action, but seriously narking off a lot of people is not going to help you.

What also intrigues me is that I've seen people there holding the following:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...09-tamils1.jpg

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but LTTE is also known as the Tamil Tigers, and this is a recognized terrorist group. Now I know the majority of the protestors are not terrorists, but you'd have thought that a little more thought would have gone into this, ie; don't wave around a flag indicating that a terrorist group is your only hope, that is not going to endear you to people, especially in a political sense, as Canada see the LTTE as a terrorist group.

They should be going to the UN rather than the Canadian and US governments.

I really do hope they don't decide to stage another unlawful blocking of somewhere else, simply as it will get very, very nasty indeed.
One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter, I don't see that people who identify with the Tamil cause should be discouraged from displaying their support because the Canadian government considers them to be terrorists.

Of course, people shouldn't delay commuters, fine them each fifty bucks or so.
Old May 13th 2009, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice

[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

To truly understand the rationale of these protests happening not only in Toronto, but also in London, Paris, Melbourne etc, the below article ( written by a Sri Lankan Tamil ) AND the over 300 reader's comments will prove useful.

http://dbsjeyaraj.com/dbsj/archives/461

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.