Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Tales of Christmas successes, disasters and everything in between

Tales of Christmas successes, disasters and everything in between

Old Dec 26th 2016, 1:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tales of Christmas successes, disasters and everything in between

I prepared everything for the dinner (which was magnificent) but I forgot to put my home-made orange and cranberry sausagemeat stuffing into the oven.

It wasn't a huge deal as we still had the other stuffing, so we just had a bit more of that one. And we'll have it with the cold turkey today so Boxing Day dinner will be even better than usual.

I know why I forgot it, because I had the addition of the Pheasant breast while the turkey was resting....so it was the same number of things in the oven as usual.

But there's a place at our table next year for anyone who can carve turkey well while I'm finishing up everything else.

I'm useless at cutting meat. My dad was great. Carving knife, fork and the sharpener all came into play. A quick few swipes with the sharpener and he'd have it sliced, cut up in no time, no matter if beef, leg of lamb, pork with crackling or turkey.

I can usually get a drumstick off for stepson and a wing for stepdaughter and the size of the bird is usually such that I can easily (with the electric knife) remove enough breast from one side for that to be enough. And then it's much easier to get what you want from the cold turkey.

But it was smaller this time (only 4.2k) and troublesome. In trying to get at thigh meat I made a mess on the table.

Then I realised I wouldn't need to cut more because of the pheasant so the other half of the breast is nicely intact for today.

But next time we'll go back to around 6k, unless there's a volunteer.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 4:17 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tales of Christmas successes, disasters and everything in between

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I prepared everything for the dinner (which was magnificent) but I forgot to put my home-made orange and cranberry sausagemeat stuffing into the oven.

It wasn't a huge deal as we still had the other stuffing, so we just had a bit more of that one. And we'll have it with the cold turkey today so Boxing Day dinner will be even better than usual.

I know why I forgot it, because I had the addition of the Pheasant breast while the turkey was resting....so it was the same number of things in the oven as usual.

But there's a place at our table next year for anyone who can carve turkey well while I'm finishing up everything else.

I'm useless at cutting meat. My dad was great. Carving knife, fork and the sharpener all came into play. A quick few swipes with the sharpener and he'd have it sliced, cut up in no time, no matter if beef, leg of lamb, pork with crackling or turkey.

I can usually get a drumstick off for stepson and a wing for stepdaughter and the size of the bird is usually such that I can easily (with the electric knife) remove enough breast from one side for that to be enough. And then it's much easier to get what you want from the cold turkey.

But it was smaller this time (only 4.2k) and troublesome. In trying to get at thigh meat I made a mess on the table.

Then I realised I wouldn't need to cut more because of the pheasant so the other half of the breast is nicely intact for today.

But next time we'll go back to around 6k, unless there's a volunteer.
Dear me , nerves really did get the better of you
Old Dec 26th 2016, 5:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Dear me , nerves really did get the better of you
Yes, I thought about rewording that.

We forgot to get the crackers out too. They're already on the table ready for later.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 1:39 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we forgot the crackers too....and the Bread Sauce!!! The dinner was so nice, that on Boxing Day I just cooked all new veggies, and we had it all over again...with the crackers and bread sauce! So Christmas Dinner part a) and b).

We've decided that we want to do it that way next year too...very pleasurable
Old Dec 28th 2016, 2:13 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We were told 'best Christmas ever'. We spent Christmas Day evening at the old folks home, we had a turkey dinner there (old folks home style) 4 English people sat there with cracker hats on our heads looking right walls. 1st Christmas the old folks in question have been in separate homes so to make it fun for them was a success.

Boxing Day saw the full roast so we are a day behind, cold meats were eaten tonight.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 12:08 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MillieF
...The dinner was so nice, that on Boxing Day I just cooked all new veggies, and we had it all over again......
It's good to do that. I've done it when there's been plenty of gravy left and it makes more sense to repeat and delay the cold version.

Did you track down a Pheasant in Sobeys?
Old Dec 29th 2016, 1:14 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Did you track down a Pheasant in Sobeys?
No...you might get them in Moncton...because you are go ahead and....
something or other...but we certainly won't be doing it in Freddie town!
Old Dec 29th 2016, 1:36 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MillieF
No...you might get them in Moncton...because you are go ahead and....
something or other...but we certainly won't be doing it in Freddie town!
Maybe you just picked a day they didn't have any. They don't always have them and when they do, I've only ever seen them in the one branch - the "posh" one.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 1:37 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

We ate a little late, around 8:30 and the crackers didn't have jokes witch was rubbish. On a brighter note, I won both games of Trivial Pursuit and both Scrabble games.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 1:38 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
We ate a little late, around 8:30 and the crackers didn't have jokes witch was rubbish. On a brighter note, I won both games of Trivial Pursuit and both Scrabble games.
And the cake? We all need to know
Old Dec 29th 2016, 1:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll flee to another country next year
Old Dec 29th 2016, 2:12 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

And the cake? We all need to know

The cake was really good. Much less dense than I had originally thought. The marzipan and icing left a little to be desired but half of it's been eaten so it must have been alright.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 2:15 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Oink
The cake was really good. Much less dense than I had originally thought. The marzipan and icing left a little to be desired but half of it's been eaten so it must have been alright.
Marzipan and icing I can do without anyhow- cake is the important bit
Old Dec 29th 2016, 2:21 am
Oscar nominated

Marzipan and icing I can do without anyhow- cake is the important bit

When it's Christmas cake it's actually the law that your slice should be cut into fingers with a little bit of Marzipan on the top of each bit.

Bite size pieces with mostly the fruit cake and that little bit of sweetness.

Off to Superstore tomorrow. Yorkshire Pud on the list.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 2:25 am
I need a walk

When it's Christmas cake it's actually the law that your slice should be cut into fingers with a little bit of Marzipan on the top of each bit.

Bite size pieces with mostly the fruit cake and that little bit of sweetness.

Off to Superstore tomorrow. Yorkshire Pud on the list.
Stinky would get the marzipan and the icing, he likes it- I would eat the rest. Yorkshire pud

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.