Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Take a moment to have a read.....my 1000th post!

Take a moment to have a read.....my 1000th post!

Old Oct 1st 2008, 2:50 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Take a moment to have a read.....my 1000th post!

IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER by Erma Bombeck

I would have talked less and listened more.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.

I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband. I I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."

There would have been more "I love yous". more "I'm sorrys"... but mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and really see it... live it...and never give it back.

**In memory of Cindy Main (FA Parent) who lost her fight with cancer
in January 1999

I suppose it makes you think, that when we are all on our quest for our new lives, does our own life pass us by.....
With love
Mrs M x
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take a moment to have a read.....my 1000th post!

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.

I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband. I I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."

There would have been more "I love yous". more "I'm sorrys"... but mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and really see it... live it...and never give it back.

in January 1999

I suppose it makes you think, that when we are all on our quest for our new lives, does our own life pass us by.....
With love
Mrs M x
So true
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, it sure adds much needed perspective.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:12 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing, Mrs. M - I've actually read that before, but your own final comment says a lot, too. With all that's going on in the world today (and on this board!) that posting puts everything into perspective.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:16 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I loved Erma Bombeck. I had many a warm, fuzzy moment reading her newspaper column.

I loved that particular piece that you quoted, Mrs Miggins. And it influenced me ... I like to think for the better. I used to do many of the things that she said she had done, and I switched to doing several of the things she said she wished she'd done.

For example, I no longer have "good" plates and "everyday" plates. I only have what I consider to be good plates, and I use them all the time. Now admittedly I don't have young children any more. But, even if I did have young children, I believe I still would use the good plates every day.

Not long ago, my then-nextdoor neighbour in Calgary and I had a conversation about this kind of stuff. She said that she had had only good plates, and her children had used them from a very young age. Her kids, now in their twenties, are inspiring young women. I feel she got a lot of things right.

There's more to it than just good plates versus everyday plates. If anyone wants to explore more about this, I recommend the writing of Maria Montessori.

Going back to Erma Bombeck, I particularly enjoyed her description of her attempts to make her children's Halloween costumes. She said that she couldn't get over other parents who had the ability to conjure up marvellous creations out of black plastic garbage bags and such.

But that little story in itself dates me (as if admitting to being an Erma Bombeck reader hadn't done that already). I belonged to the era of moms who made their kids' Halloween costumes.

Not that there is anything to recommend that, in my opinion. More power to those of you who can whip out to Wal-Mart or the like.

To those who are unfamiliar with her, Erma Bombeck was more or less the opposite of Martha Stewart. If they both went to Hell and Satan wanted to torture them, he'd force them to share a cell.
x
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing
It certainly makes you think about life

A great 1000th post
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:37 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post Mrs M. I've read one similar about wishing she'd smelled the roses and think the philosophy is perfect for living life to the max.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:33 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I loved Erma Bombeck. I had many a warm, fuzzy moment reading her newspaper column.

I loved that particular piece that you quoted, Mrs Miggins. And it influenced me ... I like to think for the better. I used to do many of the things that she said she had done, and I switched to doing several of the things she said she wished she'd done.

For example, I no longer have "good" plates and "everyday" plates. I only have what I consider to be good plates, and I use them all the time. Now admittedly I don't have young children any more. But, even if I did have young children, I believe I still would use the good plates every day.

Not long ago, my then-nextdoor neighbour in Calgary and I had a conversation about this kind of stuff. She said that she had had only good plates, and her children had used them from a very young age. Her kids, now in their twenties, are inspiring young women. I feel she got a lot of things right.

There's more to it than just good plates versus everyday plates. If anyone wants to explore more about this, I recommend the writing of Maria Montessori.

Going back to Erma Bombeck, I particularly enjoyed her description of her attempts to make her children's Halloween costumes. She said that she couldn't get over other parents who had the ability to conjure up marvellous creations out of black plastic garbage bags and such.

But that little story in itself dates me (as if admitting to being an Erma Bombeck reader hadn't done that already). I belonged to the era of moms who made their kids' Halloween costumes.

Not that there is anything to recommend that, in my opinion. More power to those of you who can whip out to Wal-Mart or the like.

To those who are unfamiliar with her, Erma Bombeck was more or less the opposite of Martha Stewart. If they both went to Hell and Satan wanted to torture them, he'd force them to share a cell.
x
Great posting Judy, as always. I discovered Erma Bombeck back in the early 80's, and then read everything she wrote, and was able to relate to so much of it. I just wish she was around today to give the likes of Martha a run for their money! I also made my kids' Halloween costumes back then - very badly - and one memorable time I used black and orange crepe paper. Of course it rained - this is BC after all - and both kids ended up with black and orange dye all over them and mushy paper!

When "bought" costumes became available, first of all I thought it was cheating but heck, go for it. Who needs to stress over making something themselves out of crap materials.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:44 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

in January 1999

With love
Mrs M x
sorry never heard of the woman but your post sure made me sit and take notice thanks for sharing
Old Oct 1st 2008, 5:02 pm
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sutton Coldfield UK until I return to Toronto 2009 or earlier!!
JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future

in January 1999

With love
Mrs M x
Thanks for reminding me of this, so lovely and true. I must admit Ihave been doing all of the above for a few years now and life is much nicer
Old Oct 1st 2008, 6:02 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, that was some post Mrs M !
I made me feel a bit soppy
Old Oct 1st 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Fantastic post - and something to think about.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

nikkiandlee has a brilliant futurenikkiandlee has a brilliant futurenikkiandlee has a brilliant futurenikkiandlee has a brilliant futurenikkiandlee has a brilliant futurenikkiandlee has a brilliant futurenikkiandlee has a brilliant future

Life seems to pass so fast, its good to take a breath every now and then! Great post, reminds me of whats important!!

Thanks

Nikki
X
Old Oct 1st 2008, 8:17 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mrs M, what did they used to say, "Take time to Smell the Roses"
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:53 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Thats just lovely

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.