British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Summer Holiday Plans (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/summer-holiday-plans-896160/)

Novocastrian May 1st 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Summer Holiday Plans

We got back from France last Thursday, so are taking it easy for a while.

North Wales for a week in May, back to Normandy mid June where Son#2 joins us in late July and we go for a drive down the Adriatic coast of Italy for 10 days.

If the deal goes through in time, we'll likely go to Palma in late September where my BIL has just bought a penthouse flat.

So, all in all, pretty quiet this year.

scilly May 1st 2017 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12242141)
Regardless of whether we get off to Europe this year, I'm wondering about getting the train to Halifax for a few days and/or doing the Toronto/Niagara thing again.

Mother in law has never seen the Falls

IF you are wondering about doing that, you need to very carefully check out the cheap deals on the train.

So far as I know, they don't really advertise them but go online to the VIA site and check their Tuesday deals ...... they usually have deals for the next 2-3 weeks.

AND they have very good deals on The Ocean :lol:

It's only a 5-6 hour trip

raindropsandroses May 1st 2017 8:33 pm

These all sound fantastic.

No holiday for us this year as we're moving province, but sort of trying to incorporate a road trip into it too so that I don't implode with the chaos factor of a uhaul self move with toddler, giant dog, other pets and a husband who has a phobia of driving on unknown roads. We should have moved a few months ago, and as I'm really looking forwards to moving i'm happy to sacrifice a holiday for it :)

scilly May 1st 2017 8:33 pm

We have no plans for the summer, daughter and grandson are coming here for a week in August.

I am thinking of trying to organise something in late August / September (?? trip to Churchill), or October (northern BC), and we have a Decmeber trip to Halifax.

HGerchikov May 1st 2017 9:35 pm

We have just bought a tree farm, it has over 10,000 trees that need to be pruned by hand after the start of June and before the end of July. Plus we will be raising some baby ducks and geese and trying to train our Spaniel not to chase them - I don't think we are going anywhere.

Piff Poff May 1st 2017 10:17 pm

My Husbands cousin and her husband are arriving at the end of May for a unspecified amount of days (Usually about 4) and then in July My Stepson and his girlfriend and her son arrive for three weeks. She and her son have never been. So there will be a short Banff thing going on but a trip to Montana has been requested so I think we are going to do a couple of nights in Yellowstone - I REALLY would like to see something I haven't seen before, but nothing has been booked yet as I can't get a YAY or NAY from OH grr.

BristolUK May 1st 2017 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12242269)
IF you are wondering about doing that, you need to very carefully check out the cheap deals on the train.

So far as I know, they don't really advertise them but go online to the VIA site and check their Tuesday deals ...... they usually have deals for the next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for the info :thumbup:
I often check the website and play around with dates but what usually stands out for me is the service not running every day or it's a bus when it does run.

jennellapea May 1st 2017 10:52 pm

I'm off to Cuba in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully we'll do some camping in the summer, maybe a small road trip or 2.

Greenhill May 1st 2017 11:07 pm

Took a gamble that WDW might be a little quieter than usual this summer. Tickets are currently -35% for Canadian residents, and there are some good deals on [no frills] flights and some hotels.

Exchange rate sucks but there are deals out there that soften the blow a little (even Disney hotels are discounting up to 25% for most of the summer).

DandNHill May 1st 2017 11:11 pm

Hawaii in the late summer/early fall. Supposed to be going on a romantic something with hubby soon too but we haven't figured out where yet.

scrubbedexpat091 May 1st 2017 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Greenhill (Post 12242374)
Took a gamble that WDW might be a little quieter than usual this summer. Tickets are currently -35% for Canadian residents, and there are some good deals on [no frills] flights and some hotels.

Exchange rate sucks but there are deals out there that soften the blow a little (even Disney hotels are discounting up to 25% for most of the summer).

The Canadian dollars seems to be keeping Canadian's away. Disneyland was offering 30% off to Canadian's most of last fall and into the winter, I think they have stopped now as they are entering peak season, but seems their winter Canadian visitors were not coming in mass.

Piff Poff May 2nd 2017 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12242399)
The Canadian dollars seems to be keeping Canadian's away. Disneyland was offering 30% off to Canadian's most of last fall and into the winter, I think they have stopped now as they are entering peak season, but seems their winter Canadian visitors were not coming in mass.

My Employer has just got back from WDW, they spent a grand at Universal - just one day, how I do no know:eek:

caretaker May 2nd 2017 12:42 am

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12242322)
We have just bought a tree farm, it has over 10,000 trees that need to be pruned by hand after the start of June and before the end of July. Plus we will be raising some baby ducks and geese and trying to train our Spaniel not to chase them - I don't think we are going anywhere.

Congratulations, and good luck!:thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat091 May 2nd 2017 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12242422)
My Employer has just got back from WDW, they spent a grand at Universal - just one day, how I do no know:eek:

Wonder if the 1k included the admission?

Universal Orlando for a 1 day ticket is $165 US for admission to all parks or $110 US for 1 park admission per person.

A family of four could drop nearly $500 US just to walk into the place.

As much as I like Disneyland and I haven't been in 7 years, the price now just to get in is just too high to justify going. A trip for 2 for 3-4 days can be a couple grand once air fare, hotels etc are included.

scilly May 2nd 2017 2:16 am

I know lots of people who have declared they have no intention of going to any part of the US "for the foreseeable future" .............

that might be the reason Disneyland didn't get the number of visitors they hoped ........ plus of course the exchange rate