British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Summer camps- Horseriding in TO (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/summer-camps-horseriding-857588/)

Pizzawheel May 4th 2015 9:37 pm

Summer camps- Horseriding in TO

Hey fellow parents

Anyone have any experience/ recommendations for a horseriding camp in summer? As a day camp it would need to be in the eastern half of the city of close by in Durham. I've just seen two weeks at sunnybrook stables is $1600....

cheers!

Oakvillian May 4th 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Summer camps- Horseriding in TO

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11636873)
Hey fellow parents

Anyone have any experience/ recommendations for a horseriding camp in summer? As a day camp it would need to be in the eastern half of the city of close by in Durham. I've just seen two weeks at sunnybrook stables is $1600....

cheers!

can't help with east of the city. But girl-child did attend one last summer in north Burlington, I'll ask the keeper of the purse strings how much damage was done by that. I don't think it was anything close to $1600 though, I'd have had words...

Pizzawheel May 4th 2015 10:21 pm

Thanks!

Sunnybrook is in the pawshest part of town. I'm suspecting anything will be too expensive. Just seen a golf camp at $450...

Tirytory May 4th 2015 10:42 pm

That sounds good.. No idea about prices though! I'm thinking through the summer camp plan at present...funny it's not something I would have done much of in the UK..

Teaandtoday5 May 6th 2015 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11636873)
Hey fellow parents

cheers!

:eek::eek:!!
My daughter has been to the same camp for the last two years, this year it's $369 for 5 days (she's done quite a lot of riding so we do pay extra on top of that for an extra hour of riding a day).

They run buses from Toronto (also extra) so some people must travel, but you may think we are too far north, but even so $1600!! Wow, I'd expect to ride Shergar for that!

Oakvillian May 6th 2015 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 11638501)
:eek::eek:!!
My daughter has been to the same camp for the last two years, this year it's $369 for 5 days (she's done quite a lot of riding so we do pay extra on top of that for an extra hour of riding a day).

They run buses from Toronto (also extra) so some people must travel, but you may think we are too far north, but even so $1600!! Wow, I'd expect to ride Shergar for that!

Ah - I'd forgotten about this thread. That seems much closer to the mark: I think we paid around $350 plus tax per week last summer, this summer we shall be doing the same. Daughter goes once a week for a group lesson, too, and is still too small to be able to earn out some of the cost of that by mucking out. Early on a Sunday morning the stables are crawling with teenagers wielding forkfuls of dung; the offspring apparently can't wait until she's allowed to do the same. I do not pretend to understand the inner workings of girls' brains ;)

Teaandtoday5 May 6th 2015 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11638513)
Ah - I'd forgotten about this thread. That seems much closer to the mark: I think we paid around $350 plus tax per week last summer, this summer we shall be doing the same. Daughter goes once a week for a group lesson, too, and is still too small to be able to earn out some of the cost of that by mucking out. Early on a Sunday morning the stables are crawling with teenagers wielding forkfuls of dung; the offspring apparently can't wait until she's allowed to do the same. I do not pretend to understand the inner workings of girls' brains ;)

Daughter (12) has just started to do this. Not paid though.
(When I was 10/11 I used to cycle 2.5miles to do the same, also unpaid. Inherited madness?)

Pizzawheel May 6th 2015 2:36 pm

Could you PM me details Teaandtoday5?

Tirytory May 6th 2015 2:38 pm

My daughter wants to have riding lessons, since she was three... Goodness knows where she got it from. We took her for a lesson last autumn and she loved it but she looked so small on the horse and of course it was a horribly cold winter..

I am waiting for the inevitable request and until she becomes more persistent about it.

What age did your children start Oakvillian and Teaandtoday?

Teaandtoday5 May 6th 2015 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11638544)
My daughter wants to have riding lessons, since she was three... Goodness knows where she got it from. We took her for a lesson last autumn and she loved it but she looked so small on the horse and of course it was a horribly cold winter..

I am waiting for the inevitable request and until she becomes more persistent about it.

Sent pm.

She was 9. And I know what you mean about them looking small, as there didn't seem to be any starting on Welsh mountain ponies like I did, she went straight onto horses.

Oakvillian May 6th 2015 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11638544)

Apart from wanting to clarify that T&T5 and I do not have children together :eek: :rofl: - mine had a couple of goes as a "bring a friend" guest aged 6, did a week of camp at a small local stable that summer, and has been riding regularly since turning 7.

Tirytory May 6th 2015 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11638591)
Apart from wanting to clarify that T&T5 and I do not have children together :eek: :rofl: - mine had a couple of goes as a "bring a friend" guest aged 6, did a week of camp at a small local stable that summer, and has been riding regularly since turning 7.

Ha ha I can see how that can be misconstrued but that's not what meant:p

I do want her to do something she clearly wants to do.. The topic comes up regularly but she's only four. I feel like it will be a long expensive road if she starts this early and with little benefit? Of course, there are horses on a farm in our road so we have frequent reminders on the horse topic..

Pizzawheel May 7th 2015 6:06 pm

T&T5's suggestion looks perfect for me in terms of location. Now I just need to see if I can find the cash, as it's a bit more than the usual surrogate childcare camp.

If you were coming to the 'Yard tomorrow evening I would buy you one of the pints that James will say I owe him.

Teaandtoday5 May 8th 2015 4:08 pm

Oh I am glad, hope it works out. I think James should keep his drink, I'm not much for pints (provided of course that all the Hooters comments are just ironic postmodern social commentary;)). Have fun all :thumbup: