Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Suggestions of what to do in Calgary???

Suggestions of what to do in Calgary???

Old Feb 10th 2008, 1:57 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suggestions of what to do in Calgary???

Right,

I know this is a slightly lazy way of researching, but I always appreciate the honest feedback I get from you all, so here's the question.

We want to get away for a night/2 nights and would like to do something up in Calgary involving our very good 4 and 6 year olds..... I was thinking museum kind of thing, swimming etc.. Just to get away for family week without breaking the bank.....

So any suggestions would be welcomed (we did the tower and the zoo last time)

Hope you are all well this winters evening

Mrs Miggins xxx
Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions of what to do in Calgary???

There is the Glenbow Museum.

You could try the climbing wall at MEC for free if your here on the right day. The kids put me to shame whenever we've tried it.

Downtown shopping. The Devonian Gardens.

Southland Leisure Centre (for swimming, skating).
Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I would say definately the Science museum - telus thing. Also Creative kids is in same place but we didn't have time to go!

http://www.calgaryscience.ca/
Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:27 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a helpful site:

http://aboutcalgary.ab.ca/attractions/

And we have some waterparks/pool places eg http://www.where.ca/calgary/guide_li...ing_id~891.htm
Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Peter's Drive in.

The Lancaster Museum in Nanton on the way up is worth visiting too.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:12 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

If you've been to Calgary before (and obviously this is predicated on your having been to the Rockies too), and if you have never been to the Tyrrell Museum, then I think you'd be better off going to Drumheller than Calgary. In my opinion the Tyrrell Museum is splendid. In my experience, people of all ages like it, and it is particularly appealing to children.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you've been to Calgary before (and obviously this is predicated on your having been to the Rockies too), and if you have never been to the Tyrrell Museum, then I think you'd be better off going to Drumheller than Calgary. In my opinion the Tyrrell Museum is splendid. In my experience, people of all ages like it, and it is particularly appealing to children.
Sorry to disagree with you on this issue Judy but.....

When we went there, we had heard so many great things about it from Canadians that we were expecting something really spectacular. The reality was somewhat different. It is a bloody long way from Calgary (I know this isn't an issue from the OP) and the road is so boring our kids still talk about it to this day.

The museum itself was OK but was definatey not worth the trip in my opinion. If it was in Calgary, then I would go again. I am fairly confident I will never go to it again. I don't know what other museums around the world you have visited but, in comparison to museums available in the UK, I found it mediocre.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

I havent a clue about Calgary, but was pleased to see you posting so I can ask you how your bottom is....

How is your bottom?
Old Feb 10th 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

ross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
Right,

I know this is a slightly lazy way of researching, but I always appreciate the honest feedback I get from you all, so here's the question.

We want to get away for a night/2 nights and would like to do something up in Calgary involving our very good 4 and 6 year olds..... I was thinking museum kind of thing, swimming etc.. Just to get away for family week without breaking the bank.....

Mrs Miggins xxx
Our kids LOVE the science museum and they have a new bob the builder display there at the moment.
Southland leisure centre is great for kids as it has a slide and waves.
If its nice weather the park at south glenmore is really nice, lots of great play equiqment and lovely views of the resevoir.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 3:52 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daft batty
I havent a clue about Calgary, but was pleased to see you posting so I can ask you how your bottom is....

How is your bottom?
My bottom actually still hurts like a beeatch..... (but thanks for asking)(:

and much to my class mates amusement I go everywhere with my cushion.

I will be using this on the road up to Calgary from the bridge for sure!!!!

So far the science museum and a water park sounds fun, can anybody suggest a good one for kids rather than teens???

Thank you all so much for your help guys

Hope you are all well
Mrs Miggins xxx
Old Feb 10th 2008, 4:09 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

So far the science museum and a water park sounds fun, can anybody suggest a good one for kids rather than teens???
Maybe you didn't look at the link I posted, but if you did maybe you missed the indoor play center? http://www.letsplaycalgary.com/

As for the science museum, in my opinion it's more suitable for younger kids than for teenagers anyway..... there's lots of interactive stuff for them to do.
And all ages can enjoy a waterpark, can't they?

If you are talking about coming soon then I think Drumheller at this time of year will be a long cold trip for little reward personally, but if you ever do go there, take in the reptile house in the town centre..... I couldn't get my boys out of there! They enjoyed that more than they did the Tyrell museum!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hart50 is an unknown quantity at this point

The four year old maybe too young but perhaps some ski lessons at COP.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Right,

Mrs Miggins xxx
Hi

We had a fantastic day out in Heritage Park which is on the outskirts and is a theme type park. There are rides for the kids, a full working turn of the century town, complete with ice cream parlour and bakery so you don't need to take food unless you want to cut down on the costs. There is a Paddle Steamer and a Steam Train and people who work there are all dressed in costume reminiscent of 'Little House on the Prairie' There is a Fort and Wigwams and farms etc. It did tick all the boxes and was a good whole day out with our kids .

It is also a large area and you don't need to keep hold of the kids hands all day, just so they don't fall in the water or step onto the train track. We had a glorious sunny day and the grounds are very well cared for. The Tourist brochures will give you money off vouchers and can be got from Touristy places. I know they are in the Calgary guide.
Hope this helps. Would be ideal for your kids age group. Mine enjoyed it and they were 10 and 12.
Kindest regards
Stef and Lins
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hart50
The four year old maybe too young but perhaps some ski lessons at COP.
Ditto that - we had our first lessons yesterday and are now totally hooked. Our youngest has just turned 5 and she coped fine. There were loads of kids that looked much younger whizzing past.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi

We had a fantastic day out in Heritage Park which is on the outskirts and is a theme type park. There are rides for the kids, a full working turn of the century town, complete with ice cream parlour and bakery so you don't need to take food unless you want to cut down on the costs. There is a Paddle Steamer and a Steam Train and people who work there are all dressed in costume reminiscent of 'Little House on the Prairie' There is a Fort and Wigwams and farms etc. It did tick all the boxes and was a good whole day out with our kids .

It is also a large area and you don't need to keep hold of the kids hands all day, just so they don't fall in the water or step onto the train track. We had a glorious sunny day and the grounds are very well cared for. The Tourist brochures will give you money off vouchers and can be got from Touristy places. I know they are in the Calgary guide.
Hope this helps. Would be ideal for your kids age group. Mine enjoyed it and they were 10 and 12.
Kindest regards
Stef and Lins
Ditto that too - we enjoy it so much we have season passes. There really is something for all ages - kids and adults

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.