Strange relatives!

Old Aug 28th 2009, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Strange relatives!

Boy am I related to some STRANGE people!! First, I go to England, spend a fortune on fares over the past 10 years to visit my sister who has spent zilch on coming to visit me -- and then she gets her knickers in a twist because I don't pay for enough things while there!

Then the other day I got into an email discussion with my other sister about crossbreed and purebred dogs. I have purebred, registered dogs. But my son just bought a Goldendoodle at my suggestion. So I have nothing against some cross breeds. I just like dogs that are "pretty". My sister had a dog that was a cross between a dachshund and something (possibly a pig by the look of the dog). The result was a medium sized black dog with a little tiny head! However, I never told her this was my opinion - its her dog and her choice. All I said was that all reputable (REPUTABLE -- not every) breeder of purebred registered dogs bred to improve temperament, health and looks. She insisted, though she has never owned a purebred registered dog and does not know any breeders of such -- that purebred dog breeders are in it for looks and the money only.

When I didn't agree with her -- she got all nasty and told me that one of my dogs is brain dead and she wouldn't want an ugly dog crate in her house, if she wanted a crate, she would have a rabbit -- I assume that a rabbit crate is far more attractive than a dog crate!!

I thought -- how the heck did I get relatives like that???

Anybody else got weirdos like this or is it just me? My friends are not like that!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

mclaren family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Strange relatives!

yes and friends too lol

My mum knowing that we are moving to canada next year, said her passport was up sometime in the next 12 months and wasn't planning on renewing it as it was too expensive and too much bother to go foreign holidays anymore - my reply was so I take it your not planning on visiting us in Canada then she said she wouldn't be able to afford the air fare, so I suggested putting a £1 coin in a jar every day and this would pay her flight

My mother in law has said that she will come visit but the step father in law won't as its just too much for him - they go to Turkey every year

pedigree dogs versus cross bred argument - an age old debate I have regularly on the husky forums I'm a member of, I have nothing against cross breds in fact one of my all time best dogs as a child was one (a good old heinz 57) like you, I like pretty looking dogs that are proportioned well and come with some sort of health guarantee from reputable breeders
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, she can think what she likes. I just thought it odd that when I refused to agree with her uninformed opinion, she got all nasty and rude!!! It was like she was having a temper tantrum -- instead of lying on the floor and kicking her feet, she made rude remarks about my dogs and the comment about the "ugly" dog crate and preferring a rabbit crate - which made absolutely no sense, because obviously if you regard one as ugly, then the other surely has to be ugly too!!

But then she is always right -- I forgot that for a minute!

Last edited by Purley; Aug 28th 2009 at 2:24 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:44 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

No offence meant, Purley, but reading through this you both seem as bad as each other (you and your sister).
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:25 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Stanley Coren, regarded as one of Canada's leading experts on dogs, claims that so-called designer dogs (Goldendoodles, Labradoodles etc) are really just mongrels by another name.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 4:12 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
No offence meant, Purley, but reading through this you both seem as bad as each other (you and your sister).
Haha - that's what I thought too. Admit it Purley, you are chips of the same block
Old Aug 28th 2009, 4:29 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mclaren family
yes and friends too lol

My mum knowing that we are moving to canada next year, said her passport was up sometime in the next 12 months and wasn't planning on renewing it as it was too expensive and too much bother to go foreign holidays anymore - my reply was so I take it your not planning on visiting us in Canada then she said she wouldn't be able to afford the air fare, so I suggested putting a £1 coin in a jar every day and this would pay her flight

My mother in law has said that she will come visit but the step father in law won't as its just too much for him - they go to Turkey every year

pedigree dogs versus cross bred argument - an age old debate I have regularly on the husky forums I'm a member of, I have nothing against cross breds in fact one of my all time best dogs as a child was one (a good old heinz 57) like you, I like pretty looking dogs that are proportioned well and come with some sort of health guarantee from reputable breeders
OMG, do we have the same parents? Those are the exact same words that have come out of my mother's mouth when she was telling me that they wouldn't be renewing their passports and I replied the same as you.

It's true what they say about 'you can choose your friends, just a shame you can't choose your family'.

Karen
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

I didn't get rude and nasty with her. I don't see the similarities. We were having a discussion about dogs and when I didn't agree with her she had a hissy fit just like she always does. There will always be people who prefer purebred and those who prefer cross breeds - nobody is right or wrong - its just their choice.

Of course designer dogs are mongrels, only nowadays nobody has a mongrel - they have a cockapoo or a goldendoodle and instead of giving them away, they want the big bucks for them.

I did read that when dogs breed haphazardly, most of the outcome will eventually end up weighing about 40 lbs and be brown or black. I guess the strongest genes are for those characteristics. So, whatever breed you start off with - eventually you will end up with very similar dogs.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mclaren family
yes and friends too lol
My dads brother and fwife are like this.....they travel all over the world, but have never made the slightest enquiry about coming here for a holiday...my parents go back to the UK about once every two years or so and visit them but it is really a one way street.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Purley
I didn't get rude and nasty with her. I don't see the similarities. We were having a discussion about dogs and when I didn't agree with her she had a hissy fit just like she always does. There will always be people who prefer purebred and those who prefer cross breeds - nobody is right or wrong - its just their choice.

Of course designer dogs are mongrels, only nowadays nobody has a mongrel - they have a cockapoo or a goldendoodle and instead of giving them away, they want the big bucks for them.

I did read that when dogs breed haphazardly, most of the outcome will eventually end up weighing about 40 lbs and be brown or black. I guess the strongest genes are for those characteristics. So, whatever breed you start off with - eventually you will end up with very similar dogs.
You wouldn't would you?

You must be wondering if you did something wrong, otherwise why come on here for validation?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 10:23 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
My dads brother and fwife are like this.....they travel all over the world, but have never made the slightest enquiry about coming here for a holiday...my parents go back to the UK about once every two years or so and visit them but it is really a one way street.
You write as if they have an obligation to come here to visit your Dad. IMO they do not. There are probably reasons they do not want to visit Canada and that is their prerogative. Perhaps their idea of a vacation does not include Canada.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

I came here to whine about it -- no other reason. I don't care what you say, visiting should be something that is reciprocated. I shouldn't be the one to keep forking out money. Previous trips were fine. I have no idea why she got like that this time.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 3:54 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Tough crowd.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you Purley, on the relatives thing and the dog thing I don't think you did anything wrong.

Just had a similar conversation with my Mum saying she can't afford to visit me in Canada. She can easily afford it, she's just sulking because she wants me to go back home to live and I won't!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, sometimes you just feel like you have to have a good old moan to someone anonymous!!

My Mom was wonderful. She loved Canada. My Dad died of a stroke a long time ago, and my Mom came over here every year. One year she came here for three months. She is now in a home suffering from dementia - she was 94 in July.

But up until eighteen months ago, she phoned me every single day. She had converted the top floor of my sister's house into a bedroom, bathroom and sitting room. My sister's husband suggested that she move into their house, but my Mom used to get upset and tell me that they weren't very nice to her and didn't really want her there. I could hardly ask my sister if it was true, and I will never know whether she was telling the truth, or whether she imagined it.

She was still driving at 85. I took my granddaughter there for a holiday when she was 6 and my Mom drove us everywhere. She couldn't do enough for us. I had a wonderul time on holiday visiting her! I guess I just have to accept those days are over and I won't waste my money going over there any more.

It would be nice if everyone's Mom felt the same about Canada and visiting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.