Strange British sayings

Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:00 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Strange British sayings

[QUOTE=dbd33;6850105] brassic QUOTE]

I haven't so much as a pot to piss in.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
But they're not really sayings, just terms in common use, otherwise we'll be listing "shift yer 'arris" or brassic or "you're wanted on the eau de" or any number of other words I have to say loudly before the oiks here catch on.
arhhh,..Flowers and Frolics = ?

Last edited by Katie76; Oct 6th 2008 at 8:11 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katie76
arhhh,..Flowers and Frolics = ?

Don't be saying that, you'll have Jules after you.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

Don't be saying that, you'll have Jules after you.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katie76
I fear that part of the reason why we never really settled in Canada is that my ex learned English in London from me and those of my ilk. Thus, to this day, she uses expressions such as butcher's, Brahmsed, grass, rub-a-dub and Hampton in heavily French accented English. She still gets enraged at the locals for failing to understand the colloquial idioms she worked so hard to master. It would of course have been the same had we the misfortune to move to Manchester rather than Toronto but there's no telling her that now.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I fear that part of the reason why we never really settled in Canada is that my ex learned English in London from me and those of my ilk. Thus, to this day, she uses expressions such as butcher's, Brahmsed, grass, rub-a-dub and Hampton in heavily French accented English. She still gets enraged at the locals for failing to understand the colloquial idioms she worked so hard to master. It would of course have been the same had we the misfortune to move to Manchester rather than Toronto but there's no telling her that now.
Sounds like my mother in law. "Zut, zees geordeez are crazee, zey 'ave no reyspect"
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

what about,

dont piss down my back and tell me its raining.
go play on the motorway..
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:01 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Go play on the M4
Arsehole of the empire (most valley towns )
a watched pot never boils
dead as a doornail
whose coat is that jacket
old age doesn't come by itself
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:33 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Colder than a witches tit.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

andrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really nice

What about some Scottish sayings -

Skinny malinky longlegs;

Haud yer wheesht;

awayegoyabamye

and

awayanbileyerheid.

L
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by andrew & linda
What about some Scottish sayings -

Skinny malinky longlegs;
Is that where that comes from?! Always wondered. Something about banana feet too, maybe.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

You're all mad as a box of frogs.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
You're all mad as a box of frogs.
or dumb as a bag of spanners.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:21 am

A tile short of a fireplace.
Happy as a pig in shit.
Thick as champ.
You'd get more craic at a wake.
Couldn't organise a sh@g at a whorehouse.
It's better than a poke in the eye.

One of my favourites (although sadly accurate ).....I look like I fell out of the ugly tree & hit all the branches on the way down.

Might do some work today....
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
or dumb as a bag of spanners.
or a can short of a six-pack...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.