Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Stittsville/Orleans/Kanata?

Stittsville/Orleans/Kanata?

Old Jan 26th 2014, 1:30 am
Visa Feb 2008,

Andrea&Mark is on a distinguished road
Smile Stittsville/Orleans/Kanata?

Hi all, looks like we will be moving from Nova Scotia to Ottawa maybe later this year, we have 2 children who will be 5 and 11 and have looked online at schools etc but would like to get some feedback from people who actually live in the areas we are looking at, Kanata Lakes/Stittsville and Orleans. Hubby will be working just over the bridge in Gatineau. Someone we know said avoid Orleans, crime is higher etc.
Anyone live in these areas and have an opinions about them? Anyone with children similar ages with opinions on schools, safe neighbourhoods etc?
Thanks
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:23 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stittsville/Orleans/Kanata?

My Sister-in-Law lives in Stittsville on some rather twee sub-division called Crossing Bridges or something similar. It's actually rather nice. Stittsville seems to have the basic shops and restaurants etc one would require plus is a reasonably short drive to Ottawa. No idea about suitability for kids as theirs is only a few months old but again it appears a family friendly area.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 12:48 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

We've lived in Kanata Lakes for the past many years. I would pick it over any of your suggestions and I think it's the best of the Kanata areas.
It's not a party town for sure and its very Anglo. It's close to the so-called Silicon Valley North; easy access to downtown Ottawa; close to Centrum - a big shopping area.
Can't say anything about schools as we have no kids.
Crime is low in North Kanata and Kanata Lakes - usually kids shoplifting from Wal-Mart. More crime in south Kanata, but not excessive.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 2:19 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

OP....I have actually lived in all the places you have requested to know about, and am going to give it to you straight

Crime....like seriously, that is the most BS thing have heard considering there is a police station right there on 10th line in Orleans close to Centrum blvd. I would stop talking to the person that told you that pronto.

Orleans is very bilingual, good schools, amenities, petrie island (recreational and parks), YMCA, mall , trail that runs from Orleans all the way to parliament downtown along the river...I ran / biked that loads of time

There is more crime is the South part of Ottawa than anywhere else.

Kanata Lakes/Stittsville (crossing bridge plaza / mall)...this area is all new, developed in the last two years, and there is a wicked Scottish pub round here that does fish and chips and all that.

I lived in Kanata / Stittsville too in the past and yes there are tons of new subdivisions all over the place...young families and amenities to boot.

However...If a person is going to be working in Gatineau (Quebec side), that is going to be one hell of a trek everyday especially when there is a Sens game at Scotiabank place or is it called Canadian tire place now?

Your best bet will be Orleans or Highland Park area close to where the stores Bushtukka / Mountain Equipment Co-op is

If you want your young kids to benefit from learning French and being in an area where there is people using it, then Orleans provides French immersion school, as well as loads of potential friends they can practice with.

My employer bought the old Nortel bldg a couple of years back, which means when it come to going back to Ottawa, Living in Kanata / Stittsvile will be the only logical option for me. That is OK though, and there is always an express shuttle that goes from Kanata to downtown anyway

Last edited by ultrarunner; Jan 26th 2014 at 2:23 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 3:27 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know crime is higher? Statistics? Look of the place? I can't recall people in Britain distinguishing between areas based on "crime". Is it that evident?
Old Jan 26th 2014, 3:30 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
How do you know crime is higher? Statistics? Look of the place? I can't recall people in Britain distinguishing between areas based on "crime". Is it that evident?
^^^see my comment above to the OP...hearsay is a b1t*h
Old Jan 26th 2014, 3:36 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

A short while ago (don't think they do it any more), they used to publish all crime figures in Ottawa and there was also an accompanying map with a symbol where each type of crime was committed - everything from murder to traffic stops. It was a very revealing insight into how the two parts of Kanata (north and south) varied, as well as other areas.

Last edited by pdarwin; Jan 26th 2014 at 3:39 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea&Mark
Hi all, looks like we will be moving from Nova Scotia to Ottawa maybe later this year, we have 2 children who will be 5 and 11 and have looked online at schools etc but would like to get some feedback from people who actually live in the areas we are looking at, Kanata Lakes/Stittsville and Orleans. Hubby will be working just over the bridge in Gatineau. Someone we know said avoid Orleans, crime is higher etc.
Anyone live in these areas and have an opinions about them? Anyone with children similar ages with opinions on schools, safe neighbourhoods etc?
Thanks
I'm in the 'hood' known as south Kanata and have been for 19 years with school age children..pm me with any detailed questions and I'll try and answer them. I haven't moved around as much as ultrarunner...is there anywhere in Ontario he hasn't lived?????

In terms of schools, for 5 and 11 year olds, the catchment areas are pretty fixed...your only option is public vs catholic and french public vs french catholic....
Old Jan 26th 2014, 3:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I'm in the 'hood' known as south Kanata and have been for 19 years with school age children..pm me with any detailed questions and I'll try and answer them. I haven't moved around as much as ultrarunner...is there anywhere in Ontario he hasn't lived?????

In terms of schools, for 5 and 11 year olds, the catchment areas are pretty fixed...your only option is public vs catholic and french public vs french catholic....

Shocker for ya.....I am in the Military, and I get around, including overseas gigs

Last edited by ultrarunner; Jan 26th 2014 at 3:49 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Shocker for ya.....I am in the Military, and I get around, including overseas gigs
Off topic, but are you in the Cdn military or the UK one?
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Off topic, but are you in the Cdn military or the UK one?
Canadian one
Old Feb 1st 2014, 12:33 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone else now got an image of David Brent dressed up as a Canadian soldier lodged in their mind?
Old Feb 1st 2014, 12:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cjones
Has anyone else now got an image of David Brent dressed up as a Canadian soldier lodged in their mind?

I think you are out to lunch on that one....matey

Is DB lean, mean, a runner, able to a a HALO jump?
Old Feb 1st 2014, 2:41 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are out to lunch on that one....matey

Is DB lean, mean, a runner, able to a a HALO jump?
Gareth?
Old Feb 1st 2014, 2:41 am
Banned

Gareth?
Keep going

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.