Stewing Hen

Old Sep 25th 2016, 7:26 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stewing Hen

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I take it you did not buy those in Canada?

I've never seen pans like that before.
No, in the UK but they do sell them here although they may be a teensy bit expensive
They are ridiculously heavy, especially for modern cooktops/hobs but will last forever. Like an Aga JS, they can be a little pretentious.

https://www.agamarvel.com/aga/produc...t-iron-ranges/

Essentially a ton of cast iron in your kitchen with little control ( current owners would of course deny this) which runs 24/7 on electricity, gas or oil. Owners claim that it would be impossible to live without one.

They do look nice and warm you up on a cold night, by putting your feet on it to warm them up. You don't need that, you've got your missus to do that for you!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Sep 25th 2016 at 7:33 am.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 7:58 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You can get all that petite bourgeois tat at https://www.williams-sonoma.ca/
Old Sep 25th 2016, 11:23 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
My pans ...
Why don't you use them? Or did you leave the tops on to hide the marks?
Old Sep 25th 2016, 4:32 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Why don't you use them? Or did you leave the tops on to hide the marks?
We do, that's just where they sleep
Old Sep 25th 2016, 4:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We do, that's just where they sleep
It wasn't because they were put away, it was because they looked so clean...unused even.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 4:37 pm
I need a walk

It wasn't because they were put away, it was because they looked so clean...unused even.
Certainly used, they keep well

I have my everyday pans which are a lot lighter and less likely to damage the induction hob/cooktop

Last edited by Stinkypup; Sep 25th 2016 at 5:02 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

No, in the UK but they do sell them here although they may be a teensy bit expensive
They are ridiculously heavy, especially for modern cooktops/hobs but will last forever. Like an Aga JS, they can be a little pretentious.

https://www.agamarvel.com/aga/produc...t-iron-ranges/

Essentially a ton of cast iron in your kitchen with little control ( current owners would of course deny this) which runs 24/7 on electricity, gas or oil. Owners claim that it would be impossible to live without one.

They do look nice and warm you up on a cold night, by putting your feet on it to warm them up. You don't need that, you've got your missus to do that for you!

Probably why I have not seen them before, likely not sold in the stores I generally frequent...lol... I think our pot set was $40 maybe $50, aluminum I think with ceramic coating of some sort to make it non-stick but not sure they are non-stick anymore....

The ranges at the link are quite nice, never seen anything like them before.

We have an el cheapo special oven/stove, electric and I rarely use it, I hate cooking on electric cook tops.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 4:57 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Probably why I have not seen them before, likely not sold in the stores I generally frequent...lol
I bought all my le Creuset pots at thrift stores, the big one was $4. Same with other dishes, I found a brand new 22" Analon skillet at the Sally Ann for $4 too, and that's a $100 frying pan in some stores.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 5:17 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my Le Creuset Round casserole in an outlet shop in U.K. And brought it over in my checked luggage! I use it all the time for stews, casseroles and pot roasts.

Apropos to stewing hens, not seen such a thing here but would buy one if I could. Very much a fan of browning and frying up onions etc before the stewing part as well. Yesterday for supper I made turkey soup using a couple of turkey drumsticks. Turned out well and feed the family for not a lot.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 5:25 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
...Yesterday for supper I made turkey soup using a couple of turkey drumsticks. Turned out well and feed the family for not a lot.
Does the meat come off well?

I've bought Turkey legs (drumsticks) before and while good value, they've always been full of tendons and whatnot in a way that drumsticks on an actual turkey don't seem to be.

If the meat came off easy, I can imagine doing them a bit like lamb shanks.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 5:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Does the meat come off well?

I've bought Turkey legs (drumsticks) before and while good value, they've always been full of tendons and whatnot in a way that drumsticks on an actual turkey don't seem to be.

If the meat came off easy, I can imagine doing them a bit like lamb shanks.
Every turkey drum stick I have ever removed from the bird and eaten (Mrs P won't eat dark meat ) always contains a bunch of very still tendons that the meat has to be scraped off.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 6:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Every turkey drum stick I have ever removed from the bird and eaten (Mrs P won't eat dark meat ) always contains a bunch of very still tendons that the meat has to be scraped off.
Certainly not without them but I had always managed to cut a bit off and just bite off the rest whereas a drumstick bought only as a drumstick, it was as if most of the meat was in a cage and you had to break off all the bars to get to it.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 6:53 pm
Oscar nominated

Can anyone smell my coq au vin?

(stop giggling at the back)
Old Sep 26th 2016, 5:39 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy them here (but they're not cheap!)

Where To Buy | Le Creuset Canada

Old Sep 26th 2016, 5:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You can buy them here (but they're not cheap!)

Where To Buy | Le Creuset Canada

Looking at the stores in the area who sell them (2 stores, next city over. 0 here) I can see why I have likely never seen them before, I would never be in those stores for anything....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.