British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Step Down/Step Up Voltage Converter, Calgary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/step-down-step-up-voltage-converter-calgary-576788/)

gibbos1 Dec 4th 2008 1:40 pm

Step Down/Step Up Voltage Converter, Calgary

Hi all,

anybody know where I can get a "Power Bright VC750 Step Down/Step Up Voltage Converter" or similar, from please.

I have tried searching for a stockist in Calgary, but keeps coming up blank.

Just wondering if anybody knows of a supplier over there. I can buy here in UK, but I have a feeling they will be cheaper there and the place I was going to get it from (maybe 2) are out of stock.

Thanks alot peeps,
Carl

Oakvillian Dec 4th 2008 1:49 pm

Re: Step Down/Step Up Voltage Converter, Calgary

Originally Posted by gibbos1 (Post 7036604)
Hi all,

anybody know where I can get a "Power Bright VC750 Step Down/Step Up Voltage Converter" or similar, from please.

I have tried searching for a stockist in Calgary, but keeps coming up blank.

Just wondering if anybody knows of a supplier over there. I can buy here in UK, but I have a feeling they will be cheaper there and the place I was going to get it from (maybe 2) are out of stock.

Thanks alot peeps,
Carl

check out www.voltageconverters.com - they ship Canadian orders from within Canada, so no tax/duty to deal with.

gryphea Dec 4th 2008 5:09 pm

There is a great place off maclead. He makes them and knows a lot. Its called glaziers. WE bought one last weeknd. Have no idea how much it was, will ask OH if you want.

gibbos1 Dec 5th 2008 9:22 am

Thanks guys. will take a look.

Gryphea,

yes please could you ask and I will do a search.

Thanks peeps:thumbsup:

gryphea Dec 5th 2008 2:41 pm

OK

I guess I am talking over my head as it could be our transformer is rated somewhat less than yours.

Anyway we got a 200W for $100, a 100W was $75. My husband corrected me, he doesn't make them as such, he makes them up, eg assembles them.

The same shop rewired our lamps.

The guy in there really knows his stuff and knows the transformer you will need for what.

Gryph

gryphea Dec 5th 2008 2:44 pm

Actually - just looked at prices on the website above and they are really cheap.

BUT had we ordered from them we probably would have under ordered on the wattage.

Gryph

Tangram Dec 5th 2008 3:00 pm

Not had any probs with www.voltageconverters.com we bought. Some will say they can cause fires.... so far so good for the last 12 months.

gibbos1 Dec 5th 2008 4:00 pm

Hi all,
thanks for the info.

I have actually found the one we were looking at buying here in UK, at a site over there, same model, size, etc., but over here they wanted £52, over there they wanted $42, so think I'll wait to get there.

My sister in law has mentioned that you have to be careful when using these, because, if there is a fire, caused by the converter, then your insurance wwill not cover it, so that's worth checking out.

Thanks again
Carl:thumbsup: