British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   steak (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/steak-824167/)

caretaker Feb 8th 2014 9:00 am

Re: steak

Originally Posted by nldfc (Post 11119629)
I'm far too posh to look in value village ;)

Prize for first posh Newf in my experience.

Shard Feb 8th 2014 9:39 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11119649)
Prize for first posh Newf in my experience.

:rofl:

nldfc Feb 10th 2014 1:16 am

Tried the same again last night and left it in for 25 minutes this time and it was more "medium well" than the "medium rare" I prefer . I exaggerated the size the other day as it was only 2 1/4" thick and that was with the cake pan again .

Guessing about 15 mins may be the ideal time for that size of steak to come out as medium rare - maybe a little less if using the cast iron skillet - I will give it another blast next week

Oink Feb 10th 2014 4:16 am

Originally Posted by nldfc (Post 11121739)
Tried the same again last night and left it in for 25 minutes this time and it was more "medium well" than the "medium rare" I prefer . I exaggerated the size the other day as it was only 2 1/4" thick and that was with the cake pan again .

Guessing about 15 mins may be the ideal time for that size of steak to come out as medium rare - maybe a little less if using the cast iron skillet - I will give it another blast next week

I cooked one on Saturday night using the method above. It was about a pound and about 1.5 inches. We got them for Coscto. Bashed it, seasoned it, heated up the flying pan and seared one side, then flipped over and in the 365f oven for exactly 10.5 mins, let it rest and it was perfect. So I'm not sure whats different with yours. Maybe not pounding it makes it cook slowly or maybe the oven is not calibrated. Also the tenderizing makes a big difference as I'm flattening it out, but it does make it nice and tender. Don't forget to put a bit of Clinf Film over ht meat before you bash it or the kitchen strats to look like a Provo interrogation room.

I also think the cast iron pan may take longer to cool down once its really hot. With my pan I take it off the heat for about 30 seconds before flipping over so it doesn't burn the other side.

nldfc Feb 10th 2014 4:22 am

Was a Costco steak but I didn't have the heart to bash it :) - Will report back with next weeks times and doneness levels

Oink Feb 10th 2014 4:29 am

Originally Posted by nldfc (Post 11122076)
Was a Costco steak but I didn't have the heart to bash it :) - Will report back with next weeks times and doneness levels

Was it one of their strip loin grilling steaks? That's apparently what we have. If I marinate it in soya sauce, ginger and bollocks then I'll cook it on the barbecue but only when the weather is nice.

ultrarunner Feb 10th 2014 4:35 am

Nobody in their their right mind buys steak from Costco????? It's pants

If what want juicy cowboy steaks, you go to your local butcher

nldfc Feb 10th 2014 4:36 am

Nope - It was the tenderloin - The Costco strip loins are good cuts as well but I always do them on the BBQ

nldfc Feb 10th 2014 4:37 am

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 11122104)
Nobody in their their right mind buys steak from Costco????? It's pants

If what want juicy cowboy steaks, you go to your local butcher

Nothing wrong with Costco steaks :confused:

caretaker Feb 10th 2014 4:44 am

I think the steaks the Serb club has for Friday steak day are from Costco, they come individually cryovac'd, does that sound like them? I don't eat beefsteak very often but thought these were pretty good.

Jingsamichty Feb 10th 2014 5:30 am

It speaks volumes about the homogeneity of Canada that two posters, one in Vancouver and the other in Newfoundland, are talking about buying the same steaks from Costco. :(

ultrarunner Feb 10th 2014 5:35 am

errrrr...no different from 2 posters from London and Glasgow talking about buying haggis, scotch eggs, and meat pie from ASDA

Oink Feb 10th 2014 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11122253)
It speaks volumes about the homogeneity of Canada that two posters, one in Vancouver and the other in Newfoundland, are talking about buying the same steaks from Costco. :(

It'd be the same as shopping in Morrisons or Tesco or going to the local butchers back home. I dislike going to Coscto with but some of the bog standard meat is not too bad but for more interesting meals I use my local butcher.

Jingsamichty Feb 10th 2014 6:12 am

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 11122272)
errrrr...no different from 2 posters from London and Glasgow talking about buying haggis, scotch eggs, and meat pie from ASDA

Not really. Glasgow and London are only 400 miles apart, and the foods you mentioned are processed food, probably from some factory in the middle of them both.

Vancouver and St Johns are about 3,200 miles apart... further than London is from Kuwait City, yet people in Vancoiver & St Johns are able to have almost identical shopping baskets and diets.

For it's geographical size, Canada is pretty poor at diversity of food.

Anyway, I shouldn't grumble, because tonight I'm flying down to Calgary so will be able to get a beer and a nice bit of grub. Then on to the UK and Austria. :)

ultrarunner Feb 10th 2014 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11122372)
Not really. Glasgow and London are only 400 miles apart, and the foods you mentioned are processed food, probably from some factory in the middle of them both.

Vancouver and St Johns are about 3,200 miles apart... further than London is from Kuwait City, yet people in Vancoiver & St Johns are able to have almost identical shopping baskets and diets.

For it's geographical size, Canada is pretty poor at diversity of food.

Anyway, I shouldn't grumble, because tonight I'm flying down to Calgary so will be able to get a beer and a nice bit of grub. Then on to the UK and Austria. :)

Hmmmm...Austria, that is a blast from my past. Had a couple of GFs there in Salzburg and Linz. I'll usually fly into Vienna from London on easyjet, then we will take the train from Westbanhoff stn to Prague, Brastilava or Budapest for some fun. Not at the same time with both girls though :D