Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The state of Canadian politics.

The state of Canadian politics.

Old Oct 9th 2019, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The state of Canadian politics.

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Me either......just rants at everyone in general, and doesn't seem to have a point...
Politician material then
Old Oct 9th 2019, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Politician material then

Yeah.... how did i miss that?
Old Oct 9th 2019, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Made it to 48 seconds. I really don't get that guy.
I got to like 10 second mark, his voice annoyed me too much....lol
Old Oct 9th 2019, 10:35 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I got to like 10 second mark, his voice annoyed me too much....lol
About 2 seconds for me on that. It's just that AC and a guy on another thread keeps recommending him so I thought I should try and hear it out.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 12:09 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Me either......just rants at everyone in general, and doesn't seem to have a point...
I followed it to its conclusion.

I've only ever seen two videos of his. This being the second.

His first on Brexit hit the nail on the head and his material here is reasonable. His comments about the Guardian are spot on.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 12:50 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I think I probably need to have a bit of a look around to see whom to vote for. I really don't want to vote for Mr Selfie again, but then the other options are not overly great. Same as most elections though
Old Oct 10th 2019, 10:33 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I received my voting card the other day. It stated that my polling station was 5.5km away.
'Hmmmm...' I thought, 'What gargantuan officious brain allotted me that?'
The reason why I asked the question is that the nearest polling station is 3 houses and one road away, a maximum of 100 meters.
Now I know that there are those out there in the wilds who'd love a polling station that's only 5.5km distant but in a small town this could be a problem.
I'm getting on but I'm physically fit and have a car so it's not a difficult issue but there are those out there who aren't and they're at the mercy of these uncaring civil servants.
'Ahh..' I can hear them protest, 'but you're able to vote early at another station.
'Quite so, except that that one is even further away'.
'Ahh..' I can hear them protest, but you apply for a postal vote'.
'Quite so, except some of the infirm will have difficulty with this and as you get older these chores become tiresome... and all because polling stations seem to be allocated by the blindly officious'
But all was not lost, a phone call to the local election office pointed me to a salted away form on the election website where I could register a complaint, and this I did, expecting the post to be placed on that ever increasing pile of never read similar complaints.
But imagine my surprise on receiving a call from Election Canada the following morning announcing that my polling station had been reassigned to the one that I can see from my bedroom window.
So from inefficient allocation to super efficient complaint handling, and all from officers in the the same service, but in answer as to why the far off polling station had been chosen in the first place there came waffle.
But... these niggles won't go away, will the message have got through to those volunteers who'll inspect my voting card on the day and will they tell me to bugger off and vote 5.5km away?
We'll see.....
Old Oct 10th 2019, 10:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I received
My polling station is also 100m away; hope you're planning on voting the right way, comrade....

Old Oct 10th 2019, 10:46 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
My polling station is also 100m away; hope you're planning on voting the right way, comrade....
Surely you mean left way do you not, comrade?

Old Oct 11th 2019, 12:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

my polling station was 5.5km away.
The reason why I asked the question is that the nearest polling station is 3 houses and one road away, a maximum of 100 meters.
Back in Bristol I used to pass a post office sorting/collecting office on my way to work. It was about a 15 minute round trip from my house if it wasn't a work day.

However, my office for collecting larger items that couldn't be delivered because I was out working, 30 minute away. My tax office was in Wales even though there was one just around the corner from where I worked.

I have appointments at an eye clinic that are covered by Medicare. But it's so far out of town and no bus that it costs me $50 return by taxi.

Life is full of anomalies like this. Most amenities suit most people most of the time. It's not someone's fault that it looks a bit odd.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 9:05 pm
Listen to the Music

But... these niggles won't go away, will the message have got through to those volunteers who'll inspect my voting card on the day and will they tell me to bugger off and vote 5.5km away?
We'll see.....
They did tell me to bugger off!
Why am I not surprised?

Old Oct 21st 2019, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Any predictions on who will come out the winner tonight?

Our riding is strong NDP, I doubt it will change last election NDP won this riding by 50% of the vote, liberals had 29%.

Been NDP since 1997 in this riding.

I can't vote, but my wife just left to vote. Voting place is 3km away at a school.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 9:47 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, scared to even try. I've been wrong the last few times I guessed at election results.

Old Oct 21st 2019, 10:09 pm
Listen to the Music

It's a bit like horse racing, the only sure thing is that none of us will be allowed anywhere near the winner's enclosure, as voters we're only good for cleaning up the s**t such events leave behind.

Old Oct 21st 2019, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Define Winner?

Trudeau gets less seats but still a majority Winner or Loser? Gets a minority therefore a loser.
Scheer wins more seats but cant form a Govt Winner or Loser? Same as for Singh and May.
Bernier wins 3 seats Winner or Loser?
Blanchet gains more seats in Quebec Winner.

I guess it depends on how its spun as to who won or lost. A minority Govt might be a win for voters but for the party leaders is it a win or loss?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.